Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i am going on a trip for school to a conference in San Francisco CA for a few days then off to WA to visit family for another 5 days. All in all ill be gone (bf as well) for 10 days. I have to board Maverick and I am dreading doing so. I have called a bunch of places and narrowed it down to 2 kennels which both have pros and cons but I would like some advice.

Kennel#1

Cost :$250 for his stay plus an extra 25$ for cleaning products because Mav is not 100% potty trained

This kennel boards pups in home with her own two dogs...both males and her lab is mav's age and in tact (ie not fixed) which Maverick isnt either...i have some concerns about fighting etc between two unaltered male and a much older male as well. Mav will be coming in to their home but I was told she boards often and never has problems.

This kennel does not crate their dogs at all and Maverick is expected to stay uncrated as well. The owner is home all the time because this is her full time job.
The are having renovations on the back yard which is another minor concern because the dogs go to a local dog park 3 times a day which is near by and then another larger dog park once a week. I provide his food (no problems with me i prefer it) and that is about it.

Kennel#2

This one is located in the country side and is a liscenced and insured kennel. During the day they have daycare for a lot of dogs and at night dogs are boarded if their families are on trips etc. It is an indoor outdoor kennel which means he does not sleep in the home with the family. He has a concrete run and an indoor heated section for sleeping and chilling out. He goes out for runs and playtime with the other dogs *i believe another boxer is being boarded during the same time* a few times a day. at least three but i cant remember fully and she is not charging extra for the fact that he is not potty trained. She doesnt mind that mav is not fixed yet and kept her own dog until 1.5 years unfixed for her own reasons...i think to have the secondary sex traits fully develop but im not sure. Mav would bring his own food and she has about 5-10 dogs boarding there in the facility during mav's stay.

I dont like the idea of having him not in a home setting but this lady sounded more interested..for example she asked me to sleep with a blanket this week and bring it to help Mav's transition. She also is offering my transportation to and from the kennel (she doesnt do this but we never had reason to get a lisence until we got Maverick since were so central and use public transit. now weve been getting out licences and will be fully lisenced by summer thank god but until that time central or places that transport are important). She also  INSISTED that i take mav out to her kennel this weekend before we leave so i can have peace of mind and he can see the place and not feel like he was just dumped there. She asked for emergency contact to take mav in if something should happen etc and talked through her practices and beliefs with me.

Which boarding kennel would you choose? I realize the perfect answer is neither id leave them with mom dad etc but i dont have that option at the moment. Also I am considering day care for mav with the second kennel once i get a car if i like what i see. I have no problem leaving him there for a day of fun and games the only thing that holds me back is the "kennel" setting..i.e. not being in the house with family.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Personally, I would go with the licensed and insured kennel. I think mav will do well- he will have lots of dogs to play with during the day and by the time he goes back to the kennel he should be too tired to care!  Of course, you can decide once you visit it first, but it sounds like a good place.
Does the other person have references? Just being one person and not a business- who knows what really goes on at her house??  Surely she won't stay at home all the time for 10 days straight.  Even without a job people need to go out to the store or something.  Where will Mav be kept then?
At a kennel there is probably nothing dangerous for Mav can chew on.
My vote is for the kennel, just bring him a blanket and a couple chew toys for his kennel :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I would definatley go with the second kennel....liscensed and insured being the key words to that decision for me personally. Would give me piece of mind that if anything were to happen. Also the fact that the lady is charging you extra because he might have a few accidents...the babysitting doesn't charge extra if the baby throws up on them do they?
He might not be in a family setting and inside but it is heated and it sounds like they will be better cared for and this kennel is running a proper business.
Sounds like its the same as comparing a Reputable Breeder to a BYB.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was also favoring the second but going to dinner with my other half to get his opinion too. I was just nervous about this outdoors thing. I guess nothing is as good as home.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im really nervous here.....

are there any more questions i should ask when i view the kennels or any warning signs i should look for? Have any of you guys put your pups in a boarding kennel before?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona had to stay in a kennel for 10 days when we went to Orlando for Vacation in July.  She was about 5 months old at the time.  She did fine! She was soooooo happy to see me when we came home but she looked great and we had no issues!  On your description, I would go with #2!

When you go just look at the general condition of the kennel...is it clean, does it smell clean, is there feces or urine in the runs, do the dogs seem happy or are they just laying around, make sure no one looks sick (green discharge from eyes and nose).....You will know if it does not feel right!!!!

It is hard to leave them....but from day to day they dont miss us like we would like to think they do :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would do the second one also, I think she is doing everything that a boarding kennel should do.  It is wonderful that she insists that you see the facility before you go.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice. I am starting to calm down a bit but it is hard isnt it? Do you think i should ask them to continue mixing his low fat yogurt in the morning and sardines a couple times a week or is that a bit too much?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ask them to keep his diet as close to normal as possible as long as they have the space to store the yogurt and sardines!  Write out a detailed feeding schedule for him so they will have it on hand!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely the second one....Provide Mav's food, any treats you want fed, toys, blankets and also the name of your vet...She sounds like she knows her business and it really isn't all that bad for them to stay in a kennel..Heck mine did it for 6 mos when they were in quarantine

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would go with the second one myself.    This lady sounds like she knows what she's doing.   Love the fact that she suggested a blanket or wear a tshirt to bed for a week or dirty sock ---- something with your scent on it to leave with your pup.   I ALWAYS do that when I have to board my schnauzers.   Keep the diet the same as you can if they can keep the yogurt, etc.  

When I look for boarding place --- I like to make sure they don't just stay in a kennel the entire time.   Like the fact that there is open play and he can interact with other dogs while he is there.   He will exert more energy and when it's ready for bed, he will be tired and not restless.   It's hard to leave them --- TRUST ME!!!    But the second place sounds good.   If you can, take him a day or two early so he can get familiar with the surroundings and he will know that you are coming back to pick him up.  

Good luck!   Have a great trip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts