Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Claws discolored?

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  BurningRiver 
#1 ·
I have noticed that Lucy's claws look normal up until the very top by her fur and they are almost a reddish brown. I have never seen this before and wonder if anyone else's pup has this. Sam's are mostly all black and Skylar's were pink at the top like normal and the tips were white. You can kind of see it in this photo...Is this normal?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, it's normal according to my vet.  He doesn't know why it happens but said it's ok.  Don't entirely like the answer but he said that it has never been a problem in any dog he has seen.  Sometimes you just want to know why, you know.
After going to take a pic, I noticed there is actually much less discoloration than when I posted the same question a few months ago.

Is this what you are talking about?  Don't mind the dirt from his recent foray at the dog park.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well, his are kind of spotty. If you click on the pic I posted and increase the size you can kind of see. Hers are very uniform in placement just at the top of the nail.

#5 ·
It's natural on white nails.  Mine have it too and all of my past dogs have had it.  Not to worry.

Nano

#9 ·
Yep, Chloe has the same exact thing..But after asking the vet every time we went and him assuring me it was normal I felt better about it, even tho I'm sure he thought I was a bit nuts after tellin me the same thing 5 different times  :lol:

#10 ·
I was worried about the same thing with my baby a few months back. Her nails were black when we got her and up until about 4 months ago.
The color started to come out of them and now they are a reddish brown. The vet said it was normal; just damage done to her nails from
probably alot of digging and playing on the hardwood floors.

#15 ·
It's red yeast. As long as it doesn't get out of control (ie: by making sores around the nail bed), I wouldn't worry about it. I have two girls with it and one who doesn't have it. The one who doesn't have it has never been an overly "yeasty" dog, but the other two have always had yeast issues off and on in their ears, in the channels of their eyes on their tummies and around their nail beds.

#16 ·
Interesting, I didn't know that it was red yeast.  I do have a "yeasty" boy who has the eye channels and other yeasty issues.  I have him on the Nzymes for it and it has really helped the eye channel yeasties.  One can always learn something new.

Nano

#17 ·
Maddie has that too, and I was told by someone, don't remember who it was, that is was a yeast also. Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe that is why she has itchy paw syndrome. Maybe it's not the food afterall? Oh, I just don't know anymore! This stuff can drive a person crazy!  :crazyeye: It seems very common so I won't worry about this one.  :wink:

#19 ·
Blitzens nails look just like that, red at the nail beds. I wondered what, if anything, it was?? She is VERY pink all over, I've just figured it was from being a very excitable little ****** :lol:Yeast, huh? Maybe we'll start up with yogurt again  :roll: I agree, sometimes all this is just tooo much to keep track of :lol:

#20 ·
BurningRiver\";p=\"67960 said:
It's red yeast. As long as it doesn't get out of control (ie: by making sores around the nail bed), I wouldn't worry about it. I have two girls with it and one who doesn't have it. The one who doesn't have it has never been an overly "yeasty" dog, but the other two have always had yeast issues off and on in their ears, in the channels of their eyes on their tummies and around their nail beds.
Jessica,

I am giving them the Digestive enhancer that you recommended for a couple of months now. Shouldn't this help with that? If  not, what do you do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.