Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told many diffrent things but want everyones here input on what to do i have heard clip file and declaw which is the best and do nothing they will wear out on there own

·
Registered
913 Posts
LOL..read my latest with Ashley on this subject...your boy is still small, so you have hope..I finaly got hers clipped yesterday..I just got so frustrated..I waited till she was asleep, and went at it..front ones were done by the time she was really aware of what I was doing..and no way on Gods green Earth will I attempt the back ones ( which DO wear down ironically ). I am seriously going to wait till the DH gets back for a week-end visit and have HIM hold her down next time.. ( I really didn't appreciate that she actually SNAPPED at me when I tried the other night....ahhhhh LOTS of toe holding..touching..squeezing at Rocko's age is all I have to offer..he MUST get used to being handled..but even then Ashley is a good example of how sometimes they just don't behave )

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use dremel on mine.That way I don't have to worry if I am cutting to close.Just touch his feet all the time and If you decide to go with grinding them,then just turn the dremel on and get him use to the noise.Then turn it off and touch his nail with it.Don't push him tomuch at first just go slowlly.Good luck

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, definitely make it part of your daily play time....Funny, the last 2 times I have been up to see the pups, Rhonda has put me to work, bathing, clipping nails, weighing, you name it...Dremel is the way to go, I have one, but Samson's nails are like steel...But if you start early, make it a game, I think it's a better way to go..Here's a link to Dremeling that is really good

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... index.html

·
Registered
913 Posts
At 3 days of age you may have the DEW claws removed ( a good idea for these wild things..because the use their front feet SO much, they actualy can break the bone around that nail, and it is quite painful, and must be sugically removed to stop the pain, bleeding ect). This is done the same time as the tail is docked.
The dewclaws is the nail that would be where YOUR wrist would be on your pup. To be honest, if it hasn't been done, you may want to do it when he is being neutered ( saves a bit of $$ ).
I will be honest..never have I heard of someone removing the other nails on a boxer, and I think it would not only be wrong to do, but detrimental to the unusual arch formation our dogs have for foot bone structure. ( think like a cats feet..take the nail, and nail bed off, and you will have a dog the has collaped feet..not good for a working dog like a Boxer! ). I just simply can't imagine it..not for any reason would that be a GOOD thing fo rpoor Rocko!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he has the dewclaws removed but some one had told me to remove the actual claws on all feet they said it keeps them from scratching things and from digging i had no idea either way thats why i asked but yojur point makes since I will try the dremel first and see how that goes thanks for everyones ideas they help

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is major surgery, at least it is for cats; when they are declawed they actually take off the first digit (which would be from our fingernail to the first knuckle).  I didn't know they would even do that for dogs.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
rockomitchell\";p=\"111587 said:
so is the declawing a completely wrong thing to do
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be very shocked if you could find a vet that would remove all of your dogs toes....Dog Toes are not made like cat toes in the fact that they are not retractable.. I can only imagine how painful that would be for a dog to have its toes removed and the complete mess it would be to try and get them to heal....If you have ever seen a dog rip a toe nail or crack a toe nails, then you have seen how painful that is for them.  It is hard to get any injury to a foot on a dog to heal because of the way they use their feet and toes...They need them for balance....

I am not sure who told you this was a good idea....but they certainly are wrong....Sure they probably would not dig because their feet would be mutilated and sore....

Clippers, Fingernail files, electric files......if all else fails take your dog to the vet or groomer and have them clip the nails for you....it is possible to work the nails back to where they do not even touch the ground.....it takes time (clipping just the tips 2 times a week) but it can be done..........

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ummm... I'm not sure who told you declawing a dog was an option but as far as I know it's NOT at all. They have nails not claws... it would be like some one removing her finger tips but worse because dogs use their feet like Sharon said... FOR MUCH more. PLEASE do not "declaw" you dog. I also don't think you'd find a vet that does that but just in case for some WEIRD reason there is one!

For Odin... I take the lazer pointer onto the driveway and he goes nuts... lol it's a weird way of doing it but he files down he's nails in the process. It works great! Besides getting them clipped at vet visits!

I think maybe some one confused removing the dewclaws with declawing!????

·
Registered
291 Posts
IM TALKING MORE NAILS

THATS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE TO INFORM AND HELP NO PROBLEMS IT ALL GETS CONFUSING. MY BF HAS CATS AND WHEN I SAID I WOULD GET A CAT ONLY IF IT WAS DECLAWED-OUCH I DIDNT KNOW SHE THOUGHT IT WAS TOTALLY IN-HUMANE TO DO IT- CATS USE THEIR CLAWS FOR PROTECTION AMNG OTHER THINGS - WE HAD A CAT WHEN WE WERE YOUNG SHE HAD A SCRATCHING POST AND STILL MESSED UP SEVERAL COUCHES!

THE ONLY REASON I AM CONCERNED IS I OFTEN GET SCRATCHED BY THE BOYS AND I AM DIABETIC I BRUISE EASILY AND WORRY ABOUT INFECTION, THEY HAVE WORN DOWN PRETTY WELL OVER TIME. THE VET AND EVEN PETSMART TRIM THEM FOR VERY CHEAP. IM TOO MUCH OF A SISSY TO DO IT MYSELF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts