Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I mentioned this method of training I got a couple of questions about it.  

I used to be a firm believer in the traditional methods of training until I tried this method.  (Traditional meaning: pinch collars, leash corrections, reward = just praise, etc.)  When I first heard of the clicker training concept, I thought it was ridiculous.  

About 3 months ago I realized I needed help with my boxer - she was about 8 1/2 months at the time.  I got her into a very good training center by my house.  They train K-9 dogs, as well as classes for confirmation, agility, obedience, fly ball, rally, etc.  All they do is training.  Anyway, I contacted them and signed Chloe up for classes.  The very first class was "Clicker Training" - I rolled my eyes, but thought - I'm paying them $175 to teach me how to train my dog to mind me and get rid of the typical "bad dog" behaviors like jumping on furniture, barking at us/kids, chasing the kids down, stealing, counter surfing, chasing the cat, eating my plants (need I go on??? ) Anyway - I figured I would follow what they said 100% since I was spending some much $$ on the class and boy within weeks I saw a MAJOR difference in my dog.  

She listens to me - she ALWAYS comes when she is called now, she drops things on command, she walks very nicely on a leash now, she will "leave it", etc.  We still have several commands that we are still working on that will take about 3 months to totally engrain, but it was extremely helpful to me.

Here is a link to a site that talks about clicker training.  It is very general but has great section on position changes (sit, stand, down) that we first used in classes after training the dog on what the clicker was.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts