Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i am having trouble clipping my dogs nails, he puts up a real good fight and crys alot, we tried giving him peanut butter during the clipping but it doenst work. just wondering if you guys have any tricks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i had jessies nails clipped when she was a puppy, and they were worse... i cant tell you how many cuts and scratches we had....  there is an outdoor roller rink by my house so we usually run her around in there for a while and the concrete keeps her nails pretty well trimmed

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You might find that a groomer may have an easier time of it than you...Are you using clippers or a dremel? Have you ever accidently hit the quick and perhaps your dog remembers that? If he's fighting you that much it may be easier to have someone else clip them...For some reason they behave better for them than for us...Lol

Mine have all been great with it, the only bad experience I had was when I accidently clipped to much on Tia and boy did she let me know it!! After that, I let the groomer do it for me....I've just ordered a pet dremel and am going to start doing both of mine myself..Well I'm going to try anyways.... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Buster would let me trim his nails no problem. He was so stoic, he would let me do anything to him. Maddie on the other hand, is a fighter. Just cleaning her ears once a week is a battle. She sees me go in the cabinet and take out that bottle, and she goes running!  8O  I take her to petco about once a month and have her nails dremeled.  To me it's worth the $8 not to have to fight with her!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just let the vet do it!  I wouldn't even attempt it on Tink!  In fairness, though, we walk mostly on the footpath rather than grass, so the concrete keeps her nails very well filed.  It's usually only the dewclaw that the vet has to clip.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie was a fighter the first time I clipped his nails.  After we get done we give him a treat so now he just sits/lays there.  Last time I clipped one nail a little short and it bled just a bit.  I'm hoping this doesn't change things!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just because we're on the subject of cutting nails, I figured I'd just throw this out in case anybody does ever cut the quick of the nail. If you ever do cut the quick of the nail and it does bleed, you can use some Quick Stop powder or corn starch works just as well. Just put a small amount on the edge of the nail tip that is bleeding and that should stop it right away. Or you can do nothing and it should stop on it's own in 5-7 minutes, any longer than that and give a call to your vet.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
HITECHBOXER\";p=\"4721 said:
how soon, or at what age should you do the first clipping?
Depends on the nails. The more you clip them the shorter they will stay. If you let them go a while, the quick will grow and you won't be able to cut them too short. I have Maddie's dremeled every month so her nails are always nice and trimmed. If you have a puppy, the next time you have a vet's appointment, ask them to show you how to trim the nails and you can go from there.  :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Scout fights me tooth and nail (pun not intended!)  But if we take him to Petsmart, he will jump right up on the table and allow the girls there to do it with no fuss.  I'm not totally sure, but I think it's the treat he gets when he's done  :lol:

In between clippings, I use a metal file.  It is very soothing for both of them and they will usually fall asleep while I am doing it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It amazes me how much better our babies do when it's someone else doing the cutting...Everyone at the groomers adores Samson cos he just stands there as good as can be....

Tootsie, thanks for adding on the info about what to do if you cut a nail to short...Good info for everyone that does cut their own....Here's a site that goes thru step by step on how to dremel your dog's nails..It has good pictures and really explains it very well
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... index.html

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
how old is your boxer? Not sure of your location, but i do know that petsmarts with grooming facilities will clip puppies under the age of i believe is 6 months for free. If not i would make an appointment and have them clipped-i have always done my own, but i learned from my experience with the vet office so i feel comfortable doing them. Not sure how savannah will be so i guess i will find out soon enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts