Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In October our sweet boy Nash was confirmed to have contracted Clostridia as well as Cryptosporidium. The Clostridia was wiped out with a round of antibiotics, however, we have learned that once a pet has contracted Cryptosporidium...they will always test positive to it due to the crazy nasty strength of the bacteria.

In a normal, healthy pet there are general no major signs outside of a bout of diahhrea, however, Nash has had chronic diahhrea since October :(

He began to lose drastic amounts of weight and now has also lost muscle tone. He spent days without eating in the beginning.

During this time and through other testings (blood, xrays, abdominal ultrasound, fecal testing...) we have learned that Nash has a severe B12 deficiency and suffers from a malabsorption disorder.
We sent extensive blood work to a lab in the states and pancreatitis was ruled out, however, Nash was recommended a pancreatic enzyme for all his food due to the malabsorption.

Nash has not been able to regain weight. He has lost about 15 pound since October, and he was never a really husky dog to begin with. He regained about 4 pounds in a 2-3 week period, and then in a 2 week period lost about 2 of those again. I haven't had him reweighed in a couple of weeks.

We have been treating him for Boxer Colitis, however, Nash has not responded to any of the antibiotic or steroid treatments. He has remained on prednisone, which has helped with his appetite (and his insane allergies), however, his stool continues to be like a cow patty consistency. I can't remember the last time he had a regular movement.

Nash has been a raw fed dog exclusively for 4 of his 5 1/2 years.
However when this started I tried a diet of cooked meat for him with other recommended items as sweet potato or pumpkin.
One of my two vets (I have a mainstream medical vet here in my city and also see a holistic vet in the next city) recommended a radical change in his diet of a Kangaroo kibble and Kangaroo wet (Rayne).
That has not helped either.

I use a probiotic, and Primal Raw Goats Milk.

NOTHING has helped with his poops, and he has not had a substantial weight gain. It has been so painful to watch!

Both vets feel Nash may have a more severe underlying cause...intestinal/stomach cancer being their gut instinct.

We opted not to have an intestinal and stomach wall biopsy done on Nash as it would have been invasive and would have either determined Colitis or Cancer. We chose to treat for Colitis, as for us and our past experience...cancer would have meant what we are doing now...loving Nash through whatever is going on until we have to face saying good bye.

All of this to say...has anyone else dealt with Cryptosporidium, Colitis, malabsorption?

We are realizing that our time with Nash is numbered. We see that he is not well, but at this point we also know he isn't suffering or in pain, so it is making it VERY hard to know what to do.

I guess I'm just looking to see if someone else has had experience with any of this and if there is anything we might be missing?

I don't want to say goodbye to my boy until I know I have to, but I sure don't want him to suffer either.

Thanks for any input or advice you may be able to offer!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I was in a group where there were dogs with protein-losing enterpathy (PLE). There's some good information on the DVM 360 site by a Jonathan Lidbury BVMS, MRCVS, DACVIM on PLE. I think a very low-fat diet is recommended. I don't think the fat content would be low enough with a raw diet, but I am not familiar with them. I hope this helps. They do mention boiled, fat-free turkey, or the Royal Canin LF20 diet which is the lowest fat available. You could also have your vet check with UC-Davis to formulate a diet with BalanceIt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Royal Canin, I forgot about that one. It would be best "not" to look that one up on DogFoodAdviser. :)

Prescription, required and by and large hard to obtain, overpriced crap foods, butttt ... if one has a "pet" with dietary issues, "RC." Seems to be the way to go!

I had a cat with UTI, issues and the only kibbel that he could and would eat, was Royal Canin S/O! If I dared to try something "better' it was off to the vet we go. He lived to be 20 years or more??? So crap food or not, there stuff appears to work if one has a pet with "dietary issues.

Hmm, an odd sort of thumbs up as it were, but there it is. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. He is on a food by a company called Rayne that is low fat kangaroo. He eats both kibble and canned wet at the time. I think the raw would be too hard on his tummy with the proteins, but we hoped that the pancreatic enzyme would have helped, however, it hasn't made a big difference.

It is so hard to watch him deteriorate :( We love him so much, but enough to realize that at some point we are not going to be able to let him suffer. It is the hardest part of owning a pet. You know it going in to it...but it's never easy when the time comes to face it and you have to be the one to make the decision.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've heard good things about the Rayne's food. The pancreatic enzymes are a Pork product, and some dogs will react to the protein. Years ago, my dog with chronic pancreatitis didn't do well on the enzymes because of the Pork! Poor puppy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts