Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Koa
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,I'm new to posting. I have a 22 month old male brindle boxer. he was neutered at 18 months (july of this year). about a month after the surgery, he started shedding significantly. his coat was always coarse and thick and long for a boxer. you can now see his skin spots on his chest, which i never knew were there, and his underside is very bare. i wanted to know if anyone had an experience like this? i have heard of golden retrievers blowing their coats after spay/neuter and wondered if the stress of the surgery and lack of hormones caused this. or did he just lose his "puppy coat"? I am also considering food as an option as he still seems underweight to me at 63# even though we are feeding 4.5-5 cups daily. thanks for any input. will be taking him to vet for a wellness check in.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Stress and drugs used for surgery can do this I doubt it’s hormones. My dogs shed all the time after bathing seems to release a lot of those dead hairs. My dogs are Euro/American lines so they seem to have thicker hair than any of the straight American dogs I’ve had. Sounds like you are feeding the proper amount for his age now he’s neutered and getting older I’m sure you’ll be keeping close eye on his weight. A good quality dog food should not be causing hair loss though. Please avoid grain free

1 - 2 of 2 Posts