Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So Willow is becoming reluctant to go for walks (even though she LOVES them) because of the weather. There was frost on the ground this morning and she hated walking on it. She was also shaking like a leaf when I brought her back inside (after being out for literally 2 mins). I want to get her a sweater or something to keep her warm and also something for her feet. My problem is she is only 4 months old and will be doing A LOT of growing in the next few months, so I don't want to spend a lot on something she'll just grow out of so fast.
What can I use? I'm considering going to Walmart and just getting a child's sweater, cutting the arms shorter and making it tighter around the middle. Do you think that'd work? What do you use?
What can I use for her feet?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Yup,wool sweater and tailor to fit :)

Its what I did for my 1st boxer back in 1991 and I still have it...either of my dogs will inherit that shirt,whomever it fits best even though its colors are more suited for a female hehe

·
Registered
353 Posts
Guinness is also a fair weather dog! He'll be 11 weeks old on Tuesday and I can already see a big change in size in just 2 weeks. We are just getting into our cold weather too and he's not impressed. I can just imagine the number of sweaters or coats he'll go through this winter! He'll go out for his pees but I've noticed that, unless he's ready to poop, he won't go and he just sits and shivers! Try to get him to "walk it out" and he doesn't want to budge!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would check E-Bay for sweaters and stuff lots of flexibility in them. The boots are gonna be problematic?? Adult Boxers have tiny feet, the dog is most not likely not going to like them??

But if you start young and early it should be easier?? I would just go to the local petsmart so you can test fit them. At this age something simple and inexpensive would be best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got her a children's sweater from Walmart and the fit is actually pretty decent! It's a bit baggy around the middle but I don't think I'll have to do anything, it's not hindering her walking or dragging anywhere near the ground so I think it'll be fine! I just rolled the sleeves once and they fit perfectly!
We got her boots from Petsmart today too, haven't had her walking in them yet though, we'll see how that goes!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Try not to cater to her to much, as a puppy this is when she learns that it's ok to be in new environments/situations. She surely can walk on frosted grass/pavement. My 4 month old saw snow for the first time yesterday and ran about like a wild child playing in it.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
GhostStark - she is ADORABLE in that hoodie!!! So freakin' cute!

Duke is NOT a fan of the cold either! But he does love to play in the snow in winter! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've only put the sweater on a couple times. Not for every walk. And this morning she was out on the frosty grass with nothing on. She didn't seem to mind it as much this time!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just tried on one of my daughter's sweatshirts she had as a baby (she's 21 now!) Think I'll tack up the waist and use it til Guinness outgrows it! Pics to follow!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Here's the hood on chip18! She did not like it on lol, had to shake my keys so she'd stop biting at it and look at the camera!
LOL yeah bout what I'd expect. Struddell had no issue with coats and sweaters but a hat ... that was a step to far!

Maybe in the rain it would go better ... if you can get her in the rain! Struddell would try and dodge the rain drops!! But when that failed she dealt with it.

Well despite her feelings on the "hoodie it's a cute photo. :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Try not to cater to her to much, as a puppy this is when she learns that it's ok to be in new environments/situations. She surely can walk on frosted grass/pavement. My 4 month old saw snow for the first time yesterday and ran about like a wild child playing in it.
Wait what?? You guys have snow already???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts