Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the vet with Brodi and even tho his fecal came back clean the vet still wants to treat him as it being coccidia due to his symptoms. She said sometimes that a small amount of it can be very hard to detect under the microscope. She gave me some anti poopy pills and a 10 day supply of Albon. My question is..Can this hurt him in anyway even if he don

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I could help Shari but don't know that much about either.  Someone will chime in.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh lord Shari, Brodi is just having it rough isn't he? Trying to remember what Rhonda told me about Coccidia, thought it was more common in pups in the weaning stages, but may be wrong on this...If you were just to use the Iams for a short term, it wouldn't be bad, or is the vet suggesting this for long term? If so, I would go with Heather's suggestion, much better food

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I dont really understand the change in food in regards to the coccidia unless I missed something that is going on with him.....Coccidia can cause loose stools and left untreated very bad water stools that smell pretty foul...It is true that it is sometimes hard to see/find coccidia under a scope and even harder when the sample is loose...The med's you were given wont hurt even if there is no coccidia and will help firm the stool....The food I am at a loss on unless there was something else going on :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about that Sharon..I was telling the vet Brodi basically has had soft mushy poops for awhile now and going about 7 times a day. She said since she wasn't 100% certain it was coccidia or a food issue to give him boiled chicken and rice for another 2 days, then to start him on the Iams low residue food for a week or so and see how he does on it and if we want we can gradually change him onto a food we like once his pooping issue is under control. Also hubby just informed me he has caught Brodi eating what looked like rabbit poop in the yard  :roll:  can they get coccidia from that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts