Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has animals thats has had this? I am just wondering cause they said my puppy Carter has this. If so how long did it take for your puppy to began to eat again?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Coccidia is very common but usually in younger puppies still in the litter, about 6 weeks of age.  I've never known any to stop eating because of it, though.  A course of Albon is the standard treatment.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sadie had coccidia when we first got her, and she didn't have any trouble eating at all. I think quite the opposite  :lol: She has eaten very well all of the time we've had her. When she had the parasite, she had very bad loose stool (in some cases watery). Her diarrhea got better after a day or two of meds, then it completely cleared up after 10days of meds.

I'm not sure what you have tried to get her to eat? Which food are you feeding? Some things that may help, is adding some pumpkin to his kibble (I know Sadie LOVES pumpkin) so maybe Carter will? This will also help with loose stools. Maybe you could soak the kibble in warm water to make it more appealing? Or possibly add some wet food to entice Carter. Or maybe try just some boiled chicken with white rice?

Good luck and I hope your baby feels better soon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he is taking meds now..He has been at the puppy hospital since friday. They are treating him for Coccidia and depression. But the vet said he thinks there is something else wrong with him cause he still isnt eatting on his own. The doctor said the usually get there appetite back real fast/

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So sorry to hear that Carter isn't feeling well, these babies sure can make us worry, can't they? Don't have any advice, hopefully vet will run more blood/stool tests and get it figured out. Sending healing vibes!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Depresssion? How did he determine that? One thing you may want to do is get in contact with Carter's breeder & alert them...Like Jennifer said Cocciada is usually seen in younger pups and if Carter has it, more than likely the other pups may have it as well. Refresh my memory, how long have you had Carter?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got him last Sat..He said depresson cause he is sick..I went and seen Carter Sat and he looked all sad with the IV's in him...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would get in touch with the breeder for sure. I may be way off base here, but the few times mine haven't been feeling good,they weren't depressed.Boxers have a high threshold for pain, it takes a lot to keep them down, so I would be concerned..Sounds more like separation anxiety really...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was right when he was gettin sick he started looking really sad...I would only be away from him for 4 hours then id be with him for about 30 minutes then leave again and be back with him 3 hours later for the rest of the day...I bought him from a pet store they have already been contacted they said all his brothers and sisters havent had any problems that they know of.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had gotten Carter from a pet store..I am sure that there was no warranty or health guaranty? The pet store will, sad to say, tell you anything to cover their butts...I would be interested in what the vet finds out...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well he did come with a warranty a 14 day health warranty andsome type of year warranty. I brought him to my vet but my vet is a ass and ill never use him again.So I brought him back to the store and they took Carter to there vet which I have been in contact with these last few days.There vet seems to know what he is talking about. Its a big place and after doing some checking they are a pretty good place.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would just wait and see what he has to say then...Hoping Carter gets better soon so he can come home...Pets, like humans, seem to recover quicker when they are in a familiar enviroment.... :) Whatever he tells you, do research, it makes it easier to understand what's going on....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know..Thats why if he still cant come home tomorrow im going back to see him(Carter). And ill talk to the vet again while im there..Today was one of the longest days cause they are closed to the public on sundays...SO I have been going crazy all day just prayin that he has been eating and he is getting better by the second.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I was curious if they mentioned testing for Parvo? As has been said before it is very uncommon for a dog with coccidia to not eat.  The parasite normally does not affect the appeal to eat at all.  Also, I have never heard of a dog kept hospitalized for coccidia unless there was also a case of severe dehydration from loose stool or being very anemic from a combo of coccidia and other parasites such as hookworms.....Which I am guessing is the case since you mentioned being on an IV.

To say that the others in the litter (if they were kept with your puppy) dont have a coccidia problem would be pretty much impossible due to the fact you just got your dog Saturday.  Either the others would have to have it or the pet store has it in their cages/caring areas.  It takes a period of about 10 to 14 days from being exposed to being able to detect coccidia in a stool sample, which means your puppy came home with it!

I guess I am just curious if there is not something else going on? Or you have found something else out.  Hopefully he is doing better today. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wondered about Parvo, too, when you mentioned the IVs; I can't imagine they didn't test for it, but who knows?  I'd certainly ask, in any case.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok well I just called to check on him and the doctor wasnt in yet but the lady there said he is doing about the same not eatting or playing around. I left a message for the doctor to call me when he gets in today. This is a very stressful situation. I barely get sleep cause im always thinking of him.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts