Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God this email today...

PLEASE PASS IT ON ~ EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PET, YOU SURELY KNOW SOMEONE WHO DOES.


Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.


Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.


PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
WOW!! But...I have to ask...WHO wants their mulch to smell like chocolate????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
wow thank you for sharing that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Actually I loved the smell of that..So, I'm a bit weird... :lol: I used to use it in my front yard in Cali, the dogs never had access to that area, but yes it is highly toxic..Thanks for posting this, I am going to make it a Sticky topic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
someone should copy or move this to the health concerns section and pin it as a sticky.

i tried to post a link to it in the sticky about chocolate but the thread was locked.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top