Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

cojunctivitis

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  nano 
#1 ·
Well I had to go away for a few days and Oggie went to daycare for 3 days straight (he didn't stay over, was dropped off/picked up).  I came back and he had some pretty bad eye issues.  The vet examined him yesterday and said it was conjunctivitis, said it could have been caused by any number of ways.  He gave me Vetropolycin to give to him.   Any tips on how to administer this stuff?  It comes in a tube with a metal tip, I am uncomfortable jabbing that into his eye.  The vet told me I can dab some on a finger and rub it on his eyeball.  Easier said than done!  He just closes his eyes when he sees me coming.  I usually miss.  If it gets on his eyelids, will it work it's way into the eye?  It does seem to be helping a little so far.

I'm also wondering if I should stay away from that daycare.  This place checks medical records for all dogs and everything so I don't know if it's just one of those things that happens all the time.   But I don't really need the extra vet bills on top of daycare!

#2 ·
Poor Oggie!  :(  I'm not sure on how to administer the eye gel stuff. Drops I can do, but gel may be a bit of a challenge. Probably more of a two person method.  I found this how to article. It has some great tips. Hope it helps.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_S ... e_meds.pdf

As far as the daycare thing. I'm not sure you should condone it just yet. It's kind of like when kids go off to daycare or school. They will get a hundred different colds and viruses, just something you have to deal with in the everyday world. Oggie could've picked this bug up from anywhere. I'm always leery about bringing Maddie to Petco because I don't know what kind of germs and bacteria are brewing in there!
I hope Oggie's eye gets better real quick....and good luck with the eye meds!  :wink:

#3 ·
Talk to the daycare about the issue.  Tell them of your concerns.  If they don't take some sort of action or blow you off or whatever, then I would go somewhere else.
I've never had to put medicine in a dog's eye, so I can't help there.
Hope Oggie feels better soon!

#4 ·
I have found the easy way to do eye ointment is to come from the back of the head with it so they dont see you coming at them straight on.....You would hold the ointment in one hand and with the other hold the head and pull the lower lid down, come over the top of the head with your hand with the ointment and squeeze a line into the eye at the lower lid you have down.  It does not have to be on the eyeball, but it does have to be in the eye....getting it only on the outter part of the lid will not help the eye infection....

It is sometimes a challenge maybe you could get someone to help hold him or hold his lids open for you.  The great thing if the eye heals quick so if you can get it in the eye for about 3 or 4 days it is usually much better and/or healed....

I dont really have any comments on the doggie daycare because I dont use them, but any time you have a group of dogs together, or a place alot of dogs have been you run the risk of picking up something.  That is at the park, boarding, grooming, daycares, PetsMart type stores and the number one place they can pick up a bug is at the vets office.  It is no different then with us...sometimes I am around sick people and I dont get sick and then sometimes I do....But, I dont let it stop me from going places.....:)

#5 ·
Great tips, thanks for the help everyone.  Sharon I will try that "sneak attack" method from behind.  It's only been about 24 hours and his eyes already look a lot better so it must be working.  Yesterday one was bright red and today its almost back to normal.

#6 ·
Make sure the hand the meds are in is placed firmly on the top of his head from the rear as Sharon said, this way if he pulls away from you your hand will move with him and reduce the chance that you poke him in the eye with the metal tube.

Scott

#9 ·
Sounds like you have some great information, hope Oggie feels better soon.  I agree about daycare, it is just like a childs daycare, they can be careful but the kids still can pick up something.  If you feel it is a good one, I would still keep going.  Kiah got a mild case of kennel cough at mine one time but has not gotten anything since.

#10 ·
Awwwww, poor Oggie, hoping the eye stuff helps him....Ugh, trying to apply that would not be fun...I agree on the daycare, it happens..I would just let them know, so they have a "heads up" on what's going on....

#11 ·
Ok seems that the conjunctivitis is coming back.  He's got yellow goop coming out of his eyes.  I'm giving the medicene again and already seems to be better. He hasn't seen any other dogs or anything since he got it. Is it possible it's on his blankets and bedding and stuff?  I'm going through the house and washing EVERYTHING.

#12 ·
I know in humans it is very easy to become re-infected. It happened to me three times. I finally realized I needed to steralize my sunglasses!  8O  I think washing everything is a great idea, and hopefully you will find whatever re-infected Oggie. Good Luck and feel better Oggie!  :)

#13 ·
I agree with Lisa, I have had it myself and in addition to infecting my contacts, I was advised to throw out ALL of my cosmetics, so yes, washing everything would definitely be a good idea....Get better Oggie  :)

#14 ·
samsonsmom\";p=\"69183 said:
I agree with Lisa, I have had it myself and in addition to infecting my contacts, I was advised to throw out ALL of my cosmetics, so yes, washing everything would definitely be a good idea....Get better Oggie  :)

ALL OF THEM?!!! my god i might have to deal with the reinfection if they told me to get rid of my MAC makeup...it's one of my favorite things!!!

Oggie is not crated right? if he is then disinfect the whole thing too. Ive had to do that for maverick...wash the bars and everything. I know with pink eye it can get on everything..Anyway I hope that he is feeling better soon. give him our love .

#15 ·
Donya\";p=\"69230 said:
ALL OF THEM?!!! my god i might have to deal with the reinfection if they told me to get rid of my MAC makeup...it's one of my favorite things!!!
Everything!!!  8O  I was none too pleased throwing out the make-up the first time.  :(  I had to do it two more times and buy new!  :evil:  It was horrible.... :cry:

#16 ·
I use a high value treat when I do my dogs eyes the first few times.  Give a huge amount of praise and that high value treat.  I had my husband hold it in his hand with the puppy chewing on it when I administered the drops from the side.  The best way to use the ointments is to warm them up first.  Then the come out as liquid and much, much easier to use.  The opthamologist told me that one. I either warm it up by putting in my bra for 10 minutes or so or put in a glass of warm water for a few minutes.  

Nano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.