Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I will be getting a boxer puppy in the late summer. I was speaking with one of my co-workers who has a boxer and she said that hers has a senstivity to cold and heat and so we should leave enough time to housetrain while the weather is nice. She said having a sweater/coat for the puppy/dog would be a good solution. Has anyone else experienced this with their boxers? Thanks.

Laura

·
Registered
880 Posts
Boxers can't stand the cold for very long, they don't have good winter coats.  And my older boxer doesn't like too much heat, she likes the temp. to be just right.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
What your co-worker is telling you is right.
In the summertime boxers have problems with the heat due to their shortened nose. I think I read that anything over 22 C that boxers find sensitive. Mind you if you live in a warmer climate I'm sure they will get more used to it...correct me if I'm wrong.
As well in the winter they get cold rather quickly seeing as they don't have much of a "fur-coat" to keep them warm. It would be like you and I going out with a thin sweater on. I always bundle Phoenix up before she goes out when its cold!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
At night when we turn the heat down, we put Duke's coat on, even in the house when it's really cold.  He's very sensitive to the cold, shivering in the house unless it's warm.  He also pants excessively during really hot days, like we have here in Georgia.  We're careful not to walk him too long when it's in the 90's.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You can still house train a pup in the winter- you probably want to put a little coat on them though if they tend to take a long time to potty.  A few minutes would be okay.
Like its been said- boxers cannot tolerate heat as well as other breeds of dogs because of their short noses.  Dogs pant to lose heat instead of sweating like us, boxers have shorter muzzles and therefore cannot cool down or lose heat as quickly.  If it is too hot out, even just lying in the shade can be too much for them.  Same thing goes for pugs and boston terriers and other short nosed breeds.
Good luck with whichever dog you decide- boxers are great dogs though!

·
Registered
693 Posts
We never owned an air conditioner until we got Donner. He is awful when it gets really hot outside. If I  go outside with him in the winter I just dress light that way when I get cold he's probably there to. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts