Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

To worry or not to worry about pee-pads hindering housebreaking of a new puppy?

• not to worry

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! New to this forum, specifically for this question i have been pondering on for weeks but I'm sure I'll stick around for other stuff!

I live in WA state, (Bellevue in the off chance any locals) so we get the full range of seasons. We are getting close to the end of winter (some days are actually feeling 'almost' warm but the mornings and nights are still chilly to say the least. I am bringing my puppy home from the breeder soon and i am use to owning short haired breeds. i just never had to take a puppy home in the winter. This concerns me not only in regards to if she will just hate it out there but also when it comes to house breaking. Of course i do not want to scar her mentally or hurt her in any way shape or form and still get her housebroken right away without developing any bad habits. A friend suggested pee pads in-front of the door, and though i think i will be getting those anyways while she is so young, i fear that will hinder her getting housebroken if i train her to use the pads all the time when its cold.

Any advice from anyone experienced with puppy puppies specifically living in areas that have the cold? Whats too cold? If i check the temp outside, when should i just not take her out at all? Sweaters and such are not an option when she is so small i would assume. Will pee-pads hinder our housebreaking progress?

thanks guys! I look forward to frequenting these forums on the regular!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi guys, maybe i should have just asked (since she is local also a big + from anyone wondering why to never buy from a puppy mill) the breeder! but here is her feeback for anyone else wondering: "They are old enough to go out now to go potty. If it's cold out, just have her out long enough to potty and then bring her back in. One already went to his home and she told me he hasnt had an accident yet. Everytime she comes out of her crate, take her straight outside. Also everytime after she eats"

maybe i dont need the pee pads at all? or just a few to keep by the door hmm

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Minnesota and I bought my boxer in Colorado and brought him home on Christmas when he was 8 weeks. I am not a boxer expert, but I can tell you what I learned this winter.

I will say that my boxer absolutely hated the cold and still hates the cold. However, because of his hatred for the cold, it made potty training very easy because he learned the sooner he did his business the sooner we went inside. He loves the weather and playing outside as long as it’s 30 degrees or above, I swear he has some sort of thermometer built in him.

Things I learned so far from our cold weather Introduction:
1. Don’t waste money on boots, I tried two different types and he hated them and honestly they are a pain in the arse to put on.
2. Invest in Mushers Secret, it’s a wax for their paws and I put it on my dog every morning. It adds a layer of protection from the cold, heat, salt, etc. Also it moisturizes their paws and protects them from cracking.
3. Try and find gently used coats or baby sweatshirts. Everything at the pet store is overpriced and your dog will grow quickly so there’s no point in spending $40 on something that will only fit them for like 2 weeks.
4. When it came to potty training, just make sure you are super diligent with making sure anytime you see your puppy eating or drinking to just set a timer to go out 15 mins later. Also take them out if you’re changing activities like from play to rest or rest to play, etc. Its kind of like how if you have kids and you do clean up after an activity, but instead you go outside and do your business after every activity.

Oh and I’ll also say, it’s been negative temps (I think we have gotten to -20 ish) and we still go outside. We don’t hang out and play outside but he does his business outside and only outside. I wouldn’t bother with pee pads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
General rule is that Boxers don't tolerate extremes of heat or cold well. We are always careful especially when it is warm as the heat can impact of their breathing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have never used pee pads for any of my dogs at any time. I think they teach them its ok to go in the house. I live in a colder climate as well and I have always taken my dog outside no matter the weather. If its raining I hold the umbrella over them too if they were out so was I to make sure they went. A good tip is whenever the puppy wakes up or comes out of the crate or whenever they finish eating take them out immediately! Also it helps when they do go poop in the yard DO NOT clean it up for a while until they learn that's where they are supposed to go! I have followed these steps religiously and I have never had a problem with any of my dogs ever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
General rule is that Boxers don't tolerate extremes of heat or cold well. We are always careful especially when it is warm as the heat can impact of their breathing.
luckily i live in the pnw, so we maybe get one month out of the year that you would actually want an air-conditioner :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never used pee pads for any of my dogs at any time. I think they teach them its ok to go in the house. I live in a colder climate as well and I have always taken my dog outside no matter the weather. If its raining I hold the umbrella over them too if they were out so was I to make sure they went. A good tip is whenever the puppy wakes up or comes out of the crate or whenever they finish eating take them out immediately! Also it helps when they do go poop in the yard DO NOT clean it up for a while until they learn that's where they are supposed to go! I have followed these steps religiously and I have never had a problem with any of my dogs ever.
yah, i got the pads and got her to use it the first night but much pref to just take her out so prob discarding them all together

one question: everyone says take them out right after eating but that ‘load’ cant be from that just ate meal right? more like the new meal in the stomach is pushing on the intestines/pushing out the last meal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys! this is the second day for me with the new puppy! happy to report some quick progress.

she is a puppy, so she shiver the second that i take her outside. i have to carry her at first because i dont live on the bottom floor. so she is still warm enough up to the point of being put on the ground in our spot. i pick her up after just a few mins if she does not go right away. towel her down if it was raining etc. i go out again once she has warmed back up in the crate.

happy to report that after about round 3-4 rounds of that, she knows what going outside is all about.

after round 3 of her shots, i’ll get her off just that corner of land thats just for her and walk her all over

1 - 8 of 8 Posts