Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We learned the hard way this am with little Kash.   At 2am he woke up itching.    I got up thinking he may have to go out, went to the bathroom and when I came out he was covered in whelts / hives.  

I ran to get a benadryl tab wrap it in cheese, and he ate it.  Sitting there watching him was painful because he could barely walk because his back legs just wanted to itch.   Then he seemed to be less itchy and went back asleep.   10 minutes later woke up and they were worse.   My husband and I decided we needed to take him to the E-Vet, regardless of the high cost.   My poor little guy  was covered, I mean covered in bumps.   So we traveled two towns over and they took him in.    Even as pathertic as he looked, his spirts of seeing new faces were high, nub wagging, and kisses.

I sat there and cried my eyes out when they took him back to give him some meds.   For the first time I literally felt so helpless.    They came out and said he had received some kind of insect bite 2-4 hours prior that must have caused the reaction.   Esp in short muzzled dogs it was good we brought him down.   They gave him two shots, did rectal exam to make sure no blockages and that they felt nothing else.   Poor little guy.     Must have been a spider bite!!!    I am just glad we were home when it happened.  

We just got back from our honeymoon and never thought we would have to use the two page emergancy manual we prepared for the dog sitter.   Kash is fine, and they are gone, but wanted to warn everyone that as it gets colder, the bugs start coming in, and to be aware, keep numbers handy and some benadryl on hand:)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So glad Kash is going to be all right.  We have tons of spiders outside and it only makes sense that they will try and get in.  I'm calling an exterminator to spray right away.  We sprayed monthly when we lived in Las Vegas because of every kind of creepy crawler bug, spiders and scorpions, and even though it gets cold enough here to kill the little buggers in the winter.  The ones that get in the house can be deadly.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Poor Kash.  So glad to hear that he is doing better and going to be alright.  That's pretty scary.  We're doing a lot of work on our house....I often feel that there are more bugs inside than outside!  It creeps me out.  And when I see Lola chasing after them and trying to eat them it creeps me out even more.  I can't tell ya how many bugs I've pulled out of her mouth!  Gross!

Welcome back btw!  Hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Poor Kash!! So glad he received such GREAT CARE!! We just sprayed this past weekend! We have sooo many spiders here!! We even had three black widows in the garage alone!! I was in shock when we found them.. that's when we realized we needed to stop slacking and get back into the rhythm of spraying.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Poor Kash,  how scary. So glad the e-vet took him in and that he's feeling better now. What a return from your honeymoon 8O Guess it's a good thing though that you WERE home, can't imagine getting that phone call from the dog sitter 8O  8O  Hope the honeymoon was wonderful and glad you're back!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
8O wow glad hes ok...

we sprayed yesterday also..all over the whole perimeter...stupid blue and orange legged poison centipedes...and the dam spiders..Isis will chase anything..and they all come in the house..gross !!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Kash is feeling better. Boy, what a way to end a honeymoon! I hope you had fun.

Spiders really creep me out. I'm always worried about the brown recluse ones around here. EEK!!!  8O

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome back, hope you had a fun honeymoon. Sorry to hear this is what you had to come back back to. It's good in a way that it didn't happen while you were away, because it would have been more scary not being there to kiss him and make sure he was okay. Glad he will be alright and hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jeez Louise, I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that!  No dangerous spiders or insects of any sort in Ireland, thank God, so all spiders are welcome in my house!  However, what we are having to deal with at the moment is MOZZIES!  The house is FULL of mosquitos, which is just insane when you consider that just 4 or 5 years ago we didn't even HAVE mosquitos in Ireland because they couldn't survive in our climate.  This is what global warming is doing, people!  I plugged in a few of the zappers that you put the little blue tablets in, and that seemed to be working, but the weather has also turned colder in the last day or so (minus 1.5 celsius when I left the house this morning), so hopefully that'll take care of the rest of them.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Kash, and what a thing to come back from your honeymoon....Good advice, I will be exterminating in the next couple days....Welcome back by the way....Hope Kash is feeling better :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's crazy stuff, glad it gets cold enough to kill all the creepy crawlies in MN :)  
We just have to deal with small wood spiders and box elder bugs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad he is doing better.  Poor little thing.  Our Ziggi swells up with any insect bites and this year they have been really bad.  I hate spiders and this year it has been warmer than normal so I am not looking forward to having them in the house.  My husband was bit by a brown recluse a couple years ago and didn't even know it until his foot started to swell and the bite spot started kill the skin around it.   Was really nasty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This might help, with the bugs coming in, if you treat around you doors, windows and attics with and insecticide it will reduce the number of bugs that come in.

Treat with a micro encapsulated chemical that has a long residual effect.
Treat the attic with a dust, light coating the attic will reduce insects from living or bedding in the attic
Treat weep holes with the dust as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts