Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences with their doggo? My 9 yrs old boxer, Bella had her first collapse 7 wks ago which looked like a mild faint where her back legs buckled and she fell to one side, slight twitching of eyes. She didn’t lose consciousness and was ok after 10 minutes. We took her to the vet and he did blood tests, all ok. Thyroid ok. Blood pressure ok. Cholesterol ok. 20 minute ecg and heart scan all ok. Put her on gabapentin 300 mg twice daily. Galliprant once daily. We were due for an mri as our vet thinks it’s something neurological but she has deteriorated and each time the scan is due she’s not well enough. Now she’s having major muscle spasms with the collapsing which can last 1-2 hours and then she sleeps. Today has been very bad and tried to get a home visit to alter meds but no visits available due to COVID. I’ve given her an extra gabapentin just now which I think is calming her, breathing not as laboured. We have a phone appt with the vet tomorrow. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This could very well be a brain tumor. The gabapentin is making her sleepy. But the seizures are another thing. I would get her to a Vet as soon as possible multiple seizures can raise her body temp and be fatal. If she does have a brain tumor there really isn't anything you can do about that. Have you given her any flea/tick meds like Simparica? There was another poster here who had a possible neurologic reaction to that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could very well be a brain tumor. The gabapentin is making her sleepy. But the seizures are another thing. I would get her to a Vet as soon as possible multiple seizures can raise her body temp and be fatal. If she does have a brain tumor there really isn't anything you can do about that. Have you given her any flea/tick meds like Simparica? There was another poster here who had a possible neurologic reaction to that.
No, she hasn’t had any fleas/ tick meds recently. We’re taking Bella to our vets tomorrow to see if he can come up with some better meds. She saw a neurologist about 4 weeks ago and after giving her some basic tests said he didn’t think it was neurological and we should see a cardiologist before he’d scan. So we did, but the cardiologist didn’t think it was a heart problem after the ecg so we’re none the wiser at the moment! Bella is such a brave girl, like all boxers and I just don’t feel I’m doing her justice at the moment. 🥺

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well first as to what is going on? I have nothing to say aside from "I am sorry you guy's are going thru this!" :(

But unless you are a Veterinarian yourself? You are doing all you can do. Adding a sense of "Guilt," to what is going on with your girl, on top of "this?" Can only make thing's worst. Trust me on that!

Boxer's in general have a lot of great "attributes." But sadly a "Long Life Span," is not one of them? I "pray," you guy's can find some answer's. And unfortunately these last two years have made, seeking help for our pet's, even tougher than it, normally is. But pounding on yourself on top it ... does not help. :(

But hopefully, you will be able to find some answers soon. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
No, she hasn’t had any fleas/ tick meds recently. We’re taking Bella to our vets tomorrow to see if he can come up with some better meds. She saw a neurologist about 4 weeks ago and after giving her some basic tests said he didn’t think it was neurological and we should see a cardiologist before he’d scan. So we did, but the cardiologist didn’t think it was a heart problem after the ecg so we’re none the wiser at the moment! Bella is such a brave girl, like all boxers and I just don’t feel I’m doing her justice at the moment. 🥺
My previous female had an auto immune disease AIHA and it would cause her to collapse on standing at first I thought it might be a seizure that condition would show up in blood work though. I hope you find some answers soon you are not letting her down you are trying your best to help her I hope someone comes up with an answer for you soon.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences with their doggo? My 9 yrs old boxer, Bella had her first collapse 7 wks ago which looked like a mild faint where her back legs buckled and she fell to one side, slight twitching of eyes. She didn’t lose consciousness and was ok after 10 minutes. We took her to the vet and he did blood tests, all ok. Thyroid ok. Blood pressure ok. Cholesterol ok. 20 minute ecg and heart scan all ok. Put her on gabapentin 300 mg twice daily. Galliprant once daily. We were due for an mri as our vet thinks it’s something neurological but she has deteriorated and each time the scan is due she’s not well enough. Now she’s having major muscle spasms with the collapsing which can last 1-2 hours and then she sleeps. Today has been very bad and tried to get a home visit to alter meds but no visits available due to COVID. I’ve given her an extra gabapentin just now which I think is calming her, breathing not as laboured. We have a phone appt with the vet tomorrow. Does anyone have any similar experiences?
Have they done a Holter Monitor
We had a 10-yo who started having seizures one night, and they finally did an MRI that showed a brain tumor. A neurologist saw him, and said it was unusual he was not responding to the anti-seizure meds she'd prescribed over 5 hospital days in the ER. He was fit, and had just had a great check-up. No signs this was coming. The total bill was $10,000, and they wouldn't let us be with him when he was dying and getting some work to do CPR because it was March during COVID. I'd find a teaching hospital that will have several people read the MRI, not just the ER facility. So sorry you have to go through this.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Have they done a Holter Monitor

We had a 10-yo who started having seizures one night, and they finally did an MRI that showed a brain tumor. A neurologist saw him, and said it was unusual he was not responding to the anti-seizure meds she'd prescribed over 5 hospital days in the ER. He was fit, and had just had a great check-up. No signs this was coming. The total bill was $10,000, and they wouldn't let us be with him when he was dying and getting some work to do CPR because it was March during COVID. I'd find a teaching hospital that will have several people read the MRI, not just the ER facility. So sorry you have to go through this.
I too lost one of my dogs to a brain tumor he was also 10 it came on suddenly just like that I think I noticed he was kinda clingy the week before all hell broke loose but the tumor did develop suddenly and I was not able to be with him or comfort him when he died so I know what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I too lost one of my dogs to a brain tumor he was also 10 it came on suddenly just like that I think I noticed he was kinda clingy the week before all hell broke loose but the tumor did develop suddenly and I was not able to be with him or comfort him when he died so I know what you are talking about.
Thanks, it helps to know he may not have been in discomfort long😥

1 - 9 of 9 Posts