Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am brand new to this community, and I am so happy that I found it.  What a great idea!  My name is Tara, and my partner Morgan and I just got a new boxer puppy named Beckham (pictured below   :eek: )

He's an 8 week old brindle and we are so in love with him!  He's very smart, and has been AWESOME with both crate training as well as housebreaking.  We only picked him up on Sunday, so we feel like he's making very good progress :)

However, his collar is becoming an issue.  He hates it (as most puppies do), but he is scratching so much he has given himself a scab on the right side of his neck!  Could this be due to the fact that it's a nylon collar and he's having a reaction?  We took it off only momentarily (we don't want him to be without one) and he competely stopped scratching.  As soon as it was back on, he started scratching again big time.

Is this common with shorthaired breeds in terms of sensitivity to materials?  We were thinking of picking up a leather one instead tonight.

Any advice is appreciated, and it's great to be here!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink HATED her collar for a good while.  I has also made the mistake of putting a Tinkerbell charm on it, which she promptly pulled off and swallowed before my very eyes, I hadn't even got time to stop her!  But she did stop trying to pull it off eventually!

If you are worried that Abby will injure herself before she gets used to it, you could try claw caps.  I'm not sure how effective they are, but they could be worth a try.  I'd never even heard of them til I was browsing online the other day.  I saw them on an Irish site, but the brand name is SoftClaws if you want to google it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beckham isn't really injuring himself, just rubbing a bit too much.  

i've done claw caps in the past; unfortunately for me they were more of a blessing than a curse. they fall off all around the house, so can be eaten quickly. :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sometimes boxers do have aversions to certain types of material.  If I remember right....I think I have heard of the nylon being one of them.  You may try to switch types of collars and see if that helps.  They are not that expensive and well worth the try.  We have used both nylon and leather.  We have settle with the leather since they last longer.  Both of mine try to lead the other with their collars!

BTW, Beckham is beautiful :fU:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Try a leather collar. I think the nylon pulls their hair and it makes them itchy. All dogs are different. Buster hated collars, personally, I do to! He rarely wore his, except for walks. Maddie has no-problem with collars. She wears her Lupine collar all the time. I guess it just depends with what they are comfortable with.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Speaking of collars, I put Tink's Advocate on today, and it caused all the dye from her lovely red and black collar to run into her coat!

Note to self: remove v. expensive collar before administering next flea treatment...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Daisy's first collar was an adjustable nylon one and it did take her a while to get used to it.
I would say that a nice soft leather collar should be a bit more comfortable on his neck so it may be worth a try.
Don't give up though! He'll get used to it eventually!

Heather

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Beckham is a cutie....

Jessie was the same way... she wouldnt go for a walk for a few weeks either...

But she got used to it when she put it together that the leash and collar meant she got to go outside... he'll get it, i promise...

I actually just bought jessie a harness, because she has been pulling like crazy lately.. and it actually hurts my arms to try and hold her back..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions.

after just one day and switching becks to a leather collar, the little scab and swelling is nearly COMPLETELY gone!

thanks again!   :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awwww, he was just protesting that he wanted a different collar...Lol. Glad that was such an easy fix. Here's hoping all problems are so easily solved. And good for you for getting that cutie into a collar right away. You would be amazed at how many dogs, esp around here probably have never worn one....Grrrrrr..don't get me started on that.....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahha oh yeah, i'm certain everything wno't be this easy, but it would be nice, wouldn't it? :)

i can't imagine not having him on a collar.  even after a few days, walking outside to go potty has gotten much better!

·
Registered
905 Posts
My housemates boyfriend refuses to put Buzz's collar on her because it "leaves a kink in her fur".  Big deal, it's not like they're ever planning on showing her.  It drives me mad because it means that whenever herself and Tink get a little aggressive in their play, poor oul Tink is always the one to get hauled off because she's "grabbable".

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie hates his leash.  He is an indoor boxer so when he's inside we quit leashing him because he would scratch like you mentioned.  I tried switching collars but he doesn't like them.  When we go out he is on a leash and for walks he has a harness.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad the leather worked!  :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi there!   Beckham is a beautiful fella.  congratulations.  I am new here too.  and I also have a leash/ collar question.  what are some good ways to introduce a collar and leash for walks.  my little girly  is just six weeks old and I tried her on a leash today and she refused to walk with it.  She turned mule on me and refused to move. when I tried to encourage her to come along she pulled and tossed against the lead or tried to bite it.   any ideas whould be helpful.
TIA and sorry for hijacking 8)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
At six weeks there isn't much you can do with a collar and leash. Just let her wear the collar to get use to it. You can attach a leash and let her get used to that by her just dragging it around, while you are supervising of course. Eventually just try to walk with her, giving tons of praise and treats everytime she walks with you on the leash. She'll get it, she is still very young.  :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts