Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks in advance for reading. We have 2 Boxers, aged 5 months old, Buster and Jezebel, that we are having some trouble with with regards to controlling them during their walks and are wondering which collar is best for active, playful pullers. In the past our Boxers have not been big pullers and walked for us quite nicely with a standard nylon neck collar. I was even able to use the little nylon double attachment and walk them together just fine and they were awesome! This is however our first time having two of the exact same age which has been both a challenge and a blessing. They are very playful, energetic pups. Our first mishap happened when on a night walk and were were using new glow collars, which were nylon around neck with lights. They were not made well and because of the slipper surface, the collar became loose and Buster slipped out of it and took off. Luckily he was well lit and really not inclined to escape us by too much but it was big fun for him and very dangerous and stressful for us getting him back. Since then we have been using regular nylon collars that don't slip open, made better, however on the way home, if I'm walking them alone, they start trying to play and I really struggle to control them. It's not that I cannot keep them on their leash but I have trouble getting them to stop nipping one another and jumping up and trying to get the leash etc. Cute but not cute. Today I tried out new PoyPet Brand harnesses that received high reviews. This is my first foray into the harness world and it was a miserable failure. I'm must not have fitted them properly. The walk went fine and I was feeling pretty good about ordering these harnesses until we were almost home and they started the nipping and jumping game. While attempting to control them, I pulled their leashes tight and each one wriggle around and slipped out of the harnesses. Our street has 45mph speed limit and it was around the time people were getting off work so needless to say I was highly distressed trying to catch my male who trotted off and was running up and down the grassy side of the road area playfully keeping away from me. Luckily our female wasn't struggling too hard to get away from me but even after I lured him in they both wriggled so much I lost him a second time. Luckily my hubby was almost home and stopped to assist. This could have ended very badly. He was very upset and is insistent we try a choke chain. I've noticed that Cesar Milan seems to use the Herm Sprenger type collars on his show. I know little about either collar. I do know that it's obvious that a choker or Herm Sprenger is going to be something where my pups might get choked and/or pain to control them which I'm not sure about. I did read through the old board in this forum but since it was over 10 years old, thought people here might offer non-judgmental advice on best collars and personal experiences. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You might want to think of walking them separately, or have someone walk with you and have control of the other dog. Them playing on a walk really won't be solved by any type of collar, harness, etc. Maybe walk with the hubby for now and you can each have control of a dog, you can make corrections during the walk.

Personally the only time I use a harness is for when I want my guy to pull on a bike ride. When he was younger I used an slip lead, but there is a learning curve to it. Its all about positioning, quick corrections and having a loose leash. Really it would come down to what you are comfortable with to control your dogs and the dogs safety. If you have extra funds, you might want to buy a couple different set ups. The best way to learn how to use the different options, is a competent trainer or youtube has some good videos.

Might also want to train a solid recall, so if they do get off the leash, harness they won't move and if they do, they come right back.(y).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to think of walking them separately, or have someone walk with you and have control of the other dog. Them playing on a walk really won't be solved by any type of collar, harness, etc. Maybe walk with the hubby for now and you can each have control of a dog, you can make corrections during the walk.

Personally the only time I use a harness is for when I want my guy to pull on a bike ride. When he was younger I used an slip lead, but there is a learning curve to it. Its all about positioning, quick corrections and having a loose leash. Really it would come down to what you are comfortable with to control your dogs and the dogs safety. If you have extra funds, you might want to buy a couple different set ups. The best way to learn how to use the different options, is a competent trainer or youtube has some good videos.

Might also want to train a solid recall, so if they do get off the leash, harness they won't move and if they do, they come right back.(y).
Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Ok ... the best and simplest "Proper Tool," to use to train your dog to walk well on a loose leash ... is a "Properly Fitted," Prong collar ie you take out links, to fit it snugly around your dog's neck. If you can slip it in place over your dog's neck, it's to loose. And used correctly, it won't harm your dog.

A proper Prong Correction is a "Wrist Flick," not a Yank with your arm. I could go on and on on this but this is simpler.:

And that is Tylor Muto one of "The Dog Guy's!" There are lot's of other "Pro's," that share and post there work but he is a great one to follow. :)

Now that much said as Matt stated there is also the Slip Lead Leash but sigh it's kinda of a tricky tool to master?? But hey I tried my best to explain it here.:

It has info on the SLL and the Prong Collar in it. And so you know a "private session with a Pro," should not be that expensive. And they would be able to train you how to use the "Prong," in a single session I would imagine?? And you'd need him to show how to use it "Properly," on one dog ... then you can train the other.:)

Next ... did you get the Pup's together at the same time?? Or was it one and then the other?? At any rate regardless of the how ... you are here now.:

Now it can be done, but Two puppies at once are "Twice," the work. Separate, Training Session's, and Separate Walk's. If you always train them together?? One will actually learn, and paid attention to "You." And the other will just key off the "Leader."

There is more but this is a start. Welcome Aboard in any case. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I really think the first mistake here is trying to walk them joined together because now instead of their focus being on you their leader its playtime to them. I walk two dogs together all the time on their own leashes. It doesn't have to be a struggle but my dogs know when I am on the other end of their leash this is not a game and they are not to pull this doesn't happen overnight so you need to be consistent with training there is to be no horse play when they are attached to the leash. I have also trained my dogs to stop immediately if I were to drop their leash by accident they know and they will not move an inch now I use the command "wait" when I want them to stop and I have reinforced this with them over and over I use the same command when I am unloading them from my vehicle they will not jump out unless I tell them too. I would recommend teaching them the recall immediately and you will have to do this separately this may save your dogs life someday. Until you get a proven and secure system in place I would not walk them alone get help or you or the dogs could be injured. I recommend working with them separately until they get the idea in their heads they will walk calmly and you are in control not them. There are easy walk harnesses and other collars on the market that will help with the pulling but no collar in the world is going to make your dogs respect your authority. Keep on working it can get better dogs love consistency and a strong leader.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Yes get herm sprenger collars, the prongs are rounded and not like cheaper copies. Chip provided you with a good video on the proper fit and use. I've used these collars for 40 years on various dogs. You really don't correct the dog, you allow the dog to correct itself as the collars purpose is to squeeze. Your dog may squeal the first time he corrects himself but he will quickly learn that by not pulling, he won't feel anything. Proper fitting is very important, you don't want the dog injuring his trachea , the collar is fitted up high on the neck just behind the ears and you should be able to fit more than two fingers under it. Frankly in addition I would work with someone and walk the dogs separately at least until you have better control of them. When training to walk properly on a leash it is best to do one at a time and/or to have two people each with one dog, (best if the both are trained a bit first). Later down the road you will be able to walk them together.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok ... the best and simplest "Proper Tool," to use to train your dog to walk well on a loose leash ... is a "Properly Fitted," Prong collar ie you take out links, to fit it snugly around your dog's neck. If you can slip it in place over your dog's neck, it's to loose. And used correctly, it won't harm your dog.

A proper Prong Correction is a "Wrist Flick," not a Yank with your arm. I could go on and on on this but this is simpler.:

And that is Tylor Muto one of "The Dog Guy's!" There are lot's of other "Pro's," that share and post there work but he is a great one to follow. :)

Now that much said as Matt stated there is also the Slip Lead Leash but sigh it's kinda of a tricky tool to master?? But hey I tried my best to explain it here.:

It has info on the SLL and the Prong Collar in it. And so you know a "private session with a Pro," should not be that expensive. And they would be able to train you how to use the "Prong," in a single session I would imagine?? And you'd need him to show how to use it "Properly," on one dog ... then you can train the other.:)

Next ... did you get the Pup's together at the same time?? Or was it one and then the other?? At any rate regardless of the how ... you are here now.:

Now it can be done, but Two puppies at once are "Twice," the work. Separate, Training Session's, and Separate Walk's. If you always train them together?? One will actually learn, and paid attention to "You." And the other will just key off the "Leader."

There is more but this is a start. Welcome Aboard in any case. :)
Thank you so much for the advice and info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really think the first mistake here is trying to walk them joined together because now instead of their focus being on you their leader its playtime to them. I walk two dogs together all the time on their own leashes. It doesn't have to be a struggle but my dogs know when I am on the other end of their leash this is not a game and they are not to pull this doesn't happen overnight so you need to be consistent with training there is to be no horse play when they are attached to the leash. I have also trained my dogs to stop immediately if I were to drop their leash by accident they know and they will not move an inch now I use the command "wait" when I want them to stop and I have reinforced this with them over and over I use the same command when I am unloading them from my vehicle they will not jump out unless I tell them too. I would recommend teaching them the recall immediately and you will have to do this separately this may save your dogs life someday. Until you get a proven and secure system in place I would not walk them alone get help or you or the dogs could be injured. I recommend working with them separately until they get the idea in their heads they will walk calmly and you are in control not them. There are easy walk harnesses and other collars on the market that will help with the pulling but no collar in the world is going to make your dogs respect your authority. Keep on working it can get better dogs love consistency and a strong leader.
Thank you, great advice, I now realize I should only walk them one at a time. I'm also appreciating that I need this wait command firmly in place. Wish me success!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes get herm sprenger collars, the prongs are rounded and not like cheaper copies. Chip provided you with a good video on the proper fit and use. I've used these collars for 40 years on various dogs. You really don't correct the dog, you allow the dog to correct itself as the collars purpose is to squeeze. Your dog may squeal the first time he corrects himself but he will quickly learn that by not pulling, he won't feel anything. Proper fitting is very important, you don't want the dog injuring his trachea , the collar is fitted up high on the neck just behind the ears and you should be able to fit more than two fingers under it. Frankly in addition I would work with someone and walk the dogs separately at least until you have better control of them. When training to walk properly on a leash it is best to do one at a time and/or to have two people each with one dog, (best if the both are trained a bit first). Later down the road you will be able to walk them together.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thank you, great advice, I now realize I should only walk them one at a time. I'm also appreciating that I need this wait command firmly in place. Wish me success!
I DO wish you success and you will get there! Just takes some time and patience but it WILL happen! I like to see everyone enjoying their dogs and walking with them is an activity that reinforces the bonds of dog/owner.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Ok, time to go again with more stuff!

You do need to check back in with us from time to let us know what your doing and how it's going?? And for the record you are the first one, I have seen in year's ... that has been crazy enough to do two puppies at once. So there is that. :)

Usually folks ask that question first and we tend to say Uh No. But ... to late this time, so we are here to help you deal "with it," as it were. And ironically enough, I was the first one to say ... "Consider Finding a Trainer," to help you with the Prong Collar, if you need to?? "You don't know my history," but wayyy, back in the day. I got out of Boxer World and got my first Working line GSD as a foster fail, at seven months and after another 5 month's or so of no issue's with him and my other dog's ... All Hell Broke loose?? He became a pack fighting, human aggressive send to the ER for stitches, if you get in the way ... (No Boxer involvement) Monster??

And I, we had a problem?? And at the time ... I did not trust "Trainer's," cuz I did not how or what to look for in a trainer that could help us?? So screw that ... I'll figure it out! So I went online and just looked for trainers that dealt with dog's with uh serious issues ie Aggression and if what if they did made sense to me?? I'll do that! :)

Ultimately it worked out fine! I kinda missed the part about "Structure and Management," in the home (my bad.) But ultimately ... it worked out fine. And "proof of concept," came unexpectedly one day when I slipped on the ice while shielding my "PITA," GSD and he came to my aid unexpectedly unbid?? I was expecting a belly full of teeth?? But that did not happen?? He stepped up unbid because, I (think) I had shown him what I expected from him and what was normal. And when he saw Daddy go down on his back?? Well ... this ain't right perhaps I should make my presence none??

We were under a two loose dog attack at the time and I told him to "stay," behind me ... I got this. Sigh I have a thread on "Dog Attack's" we dealt with that crap all the time! But "Daddy Down??" Well ... that's not right, so he stepped up ... unexpectedly??

Well needles to say after that ... he was now "My Dog!" And we had a great 10 year's together ... sigh. But while I had him ... I went on a search to figure out ... "what I had done and how??" Cuz for the most part all we did was "walk," miles and miles usually at night and pretty much in silence. But he had changed "apparently??"

And I had done it without force, or coercion of any kind?? But you know how did I do it exactly??And then one day online I stumbled across Larry Khron and this??

Now there, was some other stuff also cuz he never really like stranger's at all. But it was my job to tell them to "keep there distance." And Rock was good with that, so much so that some folks wondered what "my," problem was?? :)

Any way ... I don't use a "Harness, for "training a dog to "Walk Well On Leash??" I prefer a real tool, engineering not with standing, I would not trust any dog trained on one of those thing's ... to do anything reliably, if "Craps Goes," sideways?? And sometimes even when you take all kinds of precautions, "Crap happens??" And the best preparation's for the "unexpected," Is a well trained dog! :)

Pro's that deal with dog's with serious freaking issue's, don't use a harness?? LE, MWD and PPD dog's are not trained on harness?? Harness are designed for dog's to pull load's. As I said engineering not withstanding. My dog's do not do any of those any of those job's?? But I expect the same level of discipline! And my WL GSD who uh did not like people, . . he never chewed off a kid's leg ... yep that happend and it was his "Dad's K9" just saying. (And yep that happened.)

But he was a lot safer than a lot of so called LE K9's, handler's dog's! If one of them lives near you ... I'd be-careful. K9 Wl GSD's have changed a lot since the 70's!

So at any rate long way of saying I remember where I came from! And with the internet, if you have no idea "who is saying what" ... all the advise online, look's pretty much the same?? I have been there and done that and to me "Online Trainers" don't all look the same??

I don't know all of them?? As that would be impossible?? But I do know a lot of them. And per my standard's, I won't promote "Trainer's," whose advise would harm your dog's!

So that said, Tylor Muto alone ... pretty much every question you would have, is on his You tube channel. My personnel favorite trainer is "Larry ad Khron," and that is because I discovered that he explained to me ... what I had done with my GSD, (to help him become civil and safe in public) seemingly without effort?? And really I had no idea what I was doing at the time but it made sense to me. :)

I am certainly not a "Larry Khron! " But I get his less is more approach. You can "follow," him also on Youtube and pretty much every question you can think to ask ... he has covered. :)

Ok, well as you can see ... I tend to be kinda "wordy??" My bad I suppose?? But hey sometimes, people disappear and I try and cram in alot while they are around.

But going on a bit more anyway?? Hopefully in the thread I posted. It mentioned using a D Link with a prong collar?? You put the "Prong Collar," on the Dog and you attach a dead link from the Prong to the dog's flat collar.

So that if the "Prong Collar Pop's Off??" And they can, your dog is still held by the D Clip! I think that is there but I can't remember??

But backing up to my Boxer Struddell, many years ago, I trained her to walk well on leash with just a Flat Collar and a Leash. Effectively it was Tylor Muto's "Conversational Leash Work," I just did not know it at the time???

And so you know "walking your dog," is not about exercise. It's about training discipline and obediance to rules! It's all about balance "Exercise," won't solve all and neither walking them. You have to have both ... with each dog one on one for awhile ... that's why it's twice the work. :Ok long story short if you need to find a "Trainer," just look for a guy that does GSD's and talking to some of his client's, to make sure he's not a wack job?? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts