Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we take our dog (1 yr fawn female) on a walk or run we use a choke collar.  However, someone recently told me that using a choke collar was dangerous because it can cause permanent damage to the cartilage in the dog's neck.  They recommended the prong collar instead.  Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
If you're worried about the dog pulling, they make an anti-pull harness.  It goes on like a regular harness, but when the dog pulls, he doesn't like the feel of the thing and stops pulling.  We had to use one on our last dog.  But when we weren't looking, he managed to chew through it.
Good luck.
Zhanna :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I used choke chains with Buck & Tia and found them to be very ineffective....Yea. a choke chain can damage the cartilage in the neck and leave some very bad marks also....There is no perfect answer, cos all dogs are different, but I would try a Gentle Lead harness, something that puts the control back in your hands...Haltis worked well for me, but it's not the answer for everyone....

·
Registered
22 Posts
our stud harvey pulled all the time then we put on the halti as a last resort,for 2 days he sulked youd think i put a dress on him ,now no pulling even our 5 yr old can walk him they great and would recommend one 2 anyone with a pulling dog,make sure you take him petstore with you to get it fitted  :D   :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
We never used a choke collar on Scout.  We tried the harness but he still pulled uncontrollably.  We tried stopping the walk and resuming when he was paying attention to us....we tried just about everything with him.  We used the pinch collar only 2 times and he stopped pulling after that.  Our trainer thought that it would be effective and swore it wouldn't hurt him just make him uncomfortable enough to stop pulling.  When we got Gunner, he too was a puller.  We used the pinch collar on him for just a week and he stopped pulling.  We now have 2 beautiful, controlled boxers when we walk and we use just regular collars.  Every boxer is different and every approach is different.  Good luck!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Everyone is going to have different opinions when it comes to this and to be truthful it is whatever works for your dog!! Ive tried EVERYTHING and Im serious when I say that! She even pulled with the prong collar!! As for the choke I wouldnt use it! Really the only time I use mine is when we are practicing for showing!  The only thing that has worked for my girl is the halti on regular walks!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've tried everything with Daisy- various headcollars and harnesses. I could never find anything that was suitable or that worked. Now I walk Daisy in a greyhound collar which is at least nice and wide on her neck and I'm in the process of teaching her to heel by stopping every time she pulls. We are doing quite well!
Personally I've never used a choke collar. I'd be worried that it would do damage to the dog.

Heather

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree with what you were told initially - prong collars are better than slip (choke) collars because the weight of the dog against the collar is more evenly distributed around the prong collar than it is on a slip.

As with ANY training collar, prong collars need to be properly fitted and used only under the guidance of a qualified trainer. Too many people use training collars incorrectly, which is what the true cause of cartilage/neck damage, not the collar itself.

If your dog is being allowed to pull on the lead regardless of the type of collar you have him on (yes, even a flat, nylon buckle collar), you run the risk of damaging the cartilage in his trachea. If your dog is properly taught not to pull on the lead, there is no risk, regardless of the type of collar he has on.

Best course of action would be to enroll him in an obedience class and ask your instructors how to teach him to walk properly on a loose lead.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree with Burning River Boxers opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts