Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a pug and are planning on getting a boxer puppy in the fall. I am curious as to whether we should have a harness or a leash for the boxer due to their build. We have a harness for the pug and find that it works very well in restraining him since it doesn't choke him, just pull on his chest. Does the same apply to boxer?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We have both for our boxer, if I know Im going some place with alot of distractions I will put the harness on him.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For me, the harness works best.  Allie is a puller and with the harness I have better control.  We have a lupine harness that we got Drs Foster and Smith and it works great!  DH calls it her bikini because she wears it in the spring and summer.  We have another harness that also is for use in the car and works with the seatbelt.  It is lined with sheepskin and so it is her 'winter' harness.  That one is made by 4 Paws or Top Paw and I think we got it from PetSmart or Petco.

G

·
0 Posts
Harnesses tend to let them pull...it is best to train them to walk nicely on a normal collar or a martingdale collar.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I know some feel that a harness doesn't help with a boxer cuz' it plays to their strength. Though I know many people on here have one. We actually have a Gentle Leader and we've been working at not needing it at all... there is NO pulling what so ever if he has the GL on. If he's on his regular collar he'll pull you around everywhere though he's getting better.

G

·
0 Posts
I prefer the collar.  We had a harness for Binga, but she likes to pull and with the harness she could pretty much drag me.  It may be different with every dog, but I have more control with her when she is wearing just her collar.  

I need to get a gentle leader or a martingale collar.  I have read lots of good things about both.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah I would really love a martingale collar... a shaka would be cooler than the ones they sell at petsmart but hubby won't okay the price of the shaka.  :(

G

·
0 Posts
Marie, look into a Lupine.  They are awesome with a lifetime guarantee.  They just recently started making the martigdale type collars.  

they call it the combo collar- it has a ring to attach a leash to to walk like a normal collar and another like the martingdale.  they are like 10-12 bucks and if anyone in your town carries lupine but not this collar, they should be able to order you one through the manufacturer.

http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/lg_dog.php

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A lot of harnesses feed into the Boxers strentgth area, their chest, so you do have to watch for that....I don't use one, but a lot of people have told me good things about the Martingale collar..I use a Gentle Leader on Angel, which works awesome on her..You may have to try a few before you find what will work

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"87182 said:
Marie, look into a Lupine.  They are awesome with a lifetime guarantee.  They just recently started making the martigdale type collars.  

they call it the combo collar- it has a ring to attach a leash to to walk like a normal collar and another like the martingdale.  they are like 10-12 bucks and if anyone in your town carries lupine but not this collar, they should be able to order you one through the manufacturer.

http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/lg_dog.php

Cool thanks! I do love the Gentle Leader I just hate the fact that some people think it's a muzzle though it really looks nothing like one!!

I saw the site... I can NOT believe they have a harness on that mastiff! If he wanted to run...!! lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
I love the gentle leader, Boz does so well with his on, he hates it right before the walk but it totally keeps him in the zone when he's got it on.  We keep a martingdale on him all the time though for his ID tag and everything. We got one at Petco but I really want to get one of those expensive ones from lupine someday! I can't wait!  The harness is really discouraged for bigger dogs because it gives them tons of leverage.  I wouldn't keep one on a dog unless they are 100% leash trained.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"87398 said:
Cool thanks! I do love the Gentle Leader I just hate the fact that some people think it's a muzzle though it really looks nothing like one!!
I have one that I bought but I never use it becasue it also looks like a muzzle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think if you start them super young like Britneys Dad did then there shouldn't be any need for any special collar.  That's my plan with our new pup 12 more dayas to go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts