Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone had an issue with their pup that had the problem with pulling to hard on his collar and hurt his little throat? If so did getting the harness help? Reese constantly is coughing and hacking. We took her to the vet and the doctor-and the doc gave us cough tablets but said she didnt have kennel cough.  the only time she hacks and such is after her walks. she is horrible on the leash and is constantly pulling. I try going in the opposite direction when she pulls but she just does the same thing either way we go. I dont want to hurt her, but i am not sure what else to do. She wont heel, wont sit wont stop pulling. her selective hearing kicks in when we go for a walk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The only time Tyson will heal is if Im running. lol I tried the whole harness thing and as soon as I put it on him he sat and diddnt move only to rub against the grass to try and get it off. when i did give him a little pull, he cried like i broke his leg. He wears a collar, and is getting a lot better when we just walk

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Try the Sensation harness available on line.  They help you from choking them.  There is no magic cure for the pulling.  Lots of stops, change direction, sits etc until they learn.

Nano

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd recomend the Gentle Leader headcollar... it's what we use with our growing puppy Odin.

Odin was pulling so hard on his collar/leash on walks that he'd choke himself and his eyes would get totally bloodshot from how hard he was pulling and choking himself.

It's NOT a choker or a muzzle and it doesn't hurt your dog (though it may annoy him briefly).  It allows your dog to eat, bark, pant, etc, but if he pulls away from you (or you tug on it), it closes his mouth and applies pressure to the back of his head, which is essentially a built-in "NO" without having to say anything, and the minute he stops pulling, it opens up and releases the pressure... the dog will do it on his own... Odin sure stopped pulling when we got the Gentle Leader.

It took him a little-bit to get used to it (kinda drove him crazy first time or two we used it), but he quickly got used to it and he doesn't pull anymore... he'll actually walk next to us... it was pretty immediate results.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Gentle leaders are great... My training classes now bought me a gentle leader to use on Mia when I start training my classes. They really really like this tool for that purpose!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I really do like the Gentle Leader, I've used it with all my boxers...Samson doesn't need one anymore, but he had one!! Most harnesses don't work simply because you are playing to a Boxer's strength, his chest..For me, it was a lot easier to work with mine if they wore a Halti(gentle leader). Angel hates it and she still fights occasionally, but she's one hard headed girl..She also knows when that Halti goes on, I mean business..So for walks, trips out anywhere, she always wears it..Some people that are not familiar with what it is will shy away as they assume it's a muzzle, but I deal with that...I wish I could get the ones I had in Ireland, they were padded on the inside part that goes across their nose, made it a lot more comfy  :)

Kudos to your training class Flutterby for endorsing them

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't know if you're referring to Beckham, but he was the one pulling, coughing and hacking.  We got him on a harness, and amazingly he's GREAT on it.  doesn't pull much, unless he sees something he wants, in which we have him "heel."

I know some people say its not a good idea for dgos this stng, and I know Becks was young, but he's great on it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess i am making a trip to petsmart tonight!! :) do yall think it would be easier to have both Savannah and Reese on a gentle leader? Savannah doesnt really have any issues when walking-she does very well with just a regular leash.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"10668 said:
i guess i am making a trip to petsmart tonight!! :) do yall think it would be easier to have both Savannah and Reese on a gentle leader? Savannah doesnt really have any issues when walking-she does very well with just a regular leash.
I consider the Gentle Leader a training tool... I hope to not have to always use it with Odin (but will if it's the only way to keep him from tugging).

Ideally, your dog will learn how to go for walks "properly" using a Gentle Leader, and you can switch-back to a regular collar/leash in time... so if your other dog is already good on a leash, I see no reason to spend more money on an extra gentle leader (they're not the cheapest things out there).

Still, Odin is doing pretty good on his gentle leader... I hope in-time to get him back on a regular collar, but if not, no biggie... the Gentle Leader will work either way.

I just got tired of fighting Odin on a leash and seeing him choke himself silly and make his eyes all bloodshot on a regular collar/leash... and I realized putting Odin in a harness would just play to Odin's strength... he could then pull like crazy without choking himself to death!  Been pretty happy with the Gentle Leader on this end!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had pretty much the same question before too. But mine was an aggression issue. I bought a Halti which is like a Gentle Leader but different brand and a little cheaper. It has helped Zeus in so many ways now he wont walk away from me and he doesnt get distracted with other things and now he pays attention to me. Dante had a pulling problem and he would walk my girlfriend instead of her walking him so i bought one for him as well. Now he stays at her side. So i would prefer a Halti or a Gentle Leader   :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, I don't think it's necessary to use one on Savannah if she does fine on walks. Samson doesn't wear one either anymore, just Angel....I'll continue to use one on her as long as needed...Heck, she may be an old woman and still wearing a Halti.. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts