Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and have already learned so much more about my favorite breed. You have alot of useful information on here. I did have one question though, I have heard that boxers have the tendency to not come back when being called. My last boxer that I had, would never really come back to me when I called him after he had attention on something else. I always wanted to think that it was because I got him when he was 2 already and that he was in the prime of his life and had already set his "ways". Now dont get me wrong, I dont believe in a old dog cant learn new tricks. He proved that myth wrong! But yes, that was my question and I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum. Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well I am a new boxer owner myself but I know my girl Haven DOES NOT come to me always when I call her yet. I am hoping puppy class will help this though. She is only 15 weeks so I have to give her that.
Samantha and Haven

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have that problem, too.  So if anyone has an answer on how to get them to come when you call it would help me also.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a professional trainer:

The "come" command is also refered to as recall.

There are 2 stickeys in the Training Section of the forum that discuss way to teach recall.  Please seek them out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto to what Liz said.. I adopted Samson when he was 6, and he had a bad habit of not coming back when called...Classes helped a lot in correcting this..Angel was awful when we got her and had to go back to square one with her....The 2 Sticky topics regarding Recall will help you a lot, make it fun and over time you will see a big change.... :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
After taking classes and following Liz's suggestions on training recall, Kiah will come when called (even at the dog park) 99% of the time.  We are continuing to work on it and hopefully it will be 100%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, its nice to know that I am not the only one that had to deal with that.  :D

Thanks for the advice Liz and samsonsmom, I will make a note to check that out. Like I said, I want all the info I can for when I get my next boxer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts