Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what are the best dogs for a companion for a boxer. I hear at times it is easier to have 2 dogs, rather than one (just like children) cause the two dogs keep each other company and occupied.

Not that I am considering it right away, but curious on your thoughts.

If have a male boxer, under one year old, your thoughts?

A female boxer? Older, younger, about same age?

Another breed? Pug, Boston Terrier, GSD, Doberman, Lab, Brittany, etc?

I know one of neighbors has a Chihuahua and a English bull dog and they get along good, and my parents neighbors have a Jack Russell and a older golden retriever and they are good buddies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I adopted my female boxer at 7 months old. 6 weeks later I knew that I would need a second dog in order to stay sane! :crazyeye:. She just had way too much energy, and was always looking for us to entertain her. So her and I went to the shelter where we got her and interviewed 3 dogs and came home with the one that seemed like the best fit.

There was a cute male lab mix but they went crazy together playing and wrestling and I didn't think we would be able to handle all that energy in the house. They were so intense together that it was hard for me to control them, right off the bat.

By chance they had a small little guy - he seems like a maltese or havanese poodle mix. He was 3 months old and they were great together. Interested, playing and hanging out, but manageable. It has been a fantastic fit. They really complement each other. They play all the time, they hang out, and they genuinely like each other and enjoy each other's company. Plus my boxer helped me potty train him! Since the second dog is little (12 lbs at 1 year old), my boxer has learned to be more gentle, and I can walk them together easily. Also, my little guy is very sturdy and healthy, so I don't have the issues I've had with my boxer girl.

I would say think about what kind of companion would best complement your dog and your household and then seek that out, regardless of breed. I love my little boxer girl, but honestly, she is very high maintenance (both in terms of time, energy, and finances). She has been the most expensive dog I've ever had, due to her health needs, and resulting vet visits, diet changes, seizures and the very expensive testing for that, etc. We've also had to make some expensive changes to accommodate her energy needs and play styles.

I know lots of people here have two boxers and that works out great for them, but you want to think of what would work best for your, your family, your schedule, and your dog's personality. I couldn't do two boxers, myself. But I could see maybe a mellow rottie or mutt to play with but that would help my boxer chill out.

I also find that since my dogs have a companion at home, they don't go crazy trying to get to other dogs when we are out. They'll just walk by other dogs and be on their way, even off-leash. I find that I don't need to tire them out as often (for my boxer especially) because they're playing most of the day together. As I type this, they are wrestling and chasing each other around with a squeaky toy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I adopted my female boxer at 7 months old. 6 weeks later I knew that I would need a second dog in order to stay sane! :crazyeye:. She just had way too much energy, and was always looking for us to entertain her. So her and I went to the shelter where we got her and interviewed 3 dogs and came home with the one that seemed like the best fit.

There was a cute male lab mix but they went crazy together playing and wrestling and I didn't think we would be able to handle all that energy in the house. They were so intense together that it was hard for me to control them, right off the bat.

By chance they had a small little guy - he seems like a maltese or havanese poodle mix. He was 3 months old and they were great together. Interested, playing and hanging out, but manageable. It has been a fantastic fit. They really complement each other. They play all the time, they hang out, and they genuinely like each other and enjoy each other's company. Plus my boxer helped me potty train him! Since the second dog is little (12 lbs at 1 year old), my boxer has learned to be more gentle, and I can walk them together easily. Also, my little guy is very sturdy and healthy, so I don't have the issues I've had with my boxer girl.

I would say think about what kind of companion would best complement your dog and your household and then seek that out, regardless of breed. I love my little boxer girl, but honestly, she is very high maintenance (both in terms of time, energy, and finances). She has been the most expensive dog I've ever had, due to her health needs, and resulting vet visits, diet changes, seizures and the very expensive testing for that, etc. We've also had to make some expensive changes to accommodate her energy needs and play styles.

I know lots of people here have two boxers and that works out great for them, but you want to think of what would work best for your, your family, your schedule, and your dog's personality. I couldn't do two boxers, myself. But I could see maybe a mellow rottie or mutt to play with but that would help my boxer chill out.

I also find that since my dogs have a companion at home, they don't go crazy trying to get to other dogs when we are out. They'll just walk by other dogs and be on their way, even off-leash. I find that I don't need to tire them out as often (for my boxer especially) because they're playing most of the day together. As I type this, they are wrestling and chasing each other around with a squeaky toy.
He reacted real well to two adult pugs he met at the park. Besides Pugs kind of look like miniature boxers. I heard that Boston Terriers are a good match for boxers as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
He reacted real well to two adult pugs he met at the park. Besides Pugs kind of look like miniature boxers. I heard that Boston Terriers are a good match for boxers as well.
Why don't you go to your local shelter together and have him meet a few of their dogs? Most shelters also have a dog behaviourist on staff and can give you some helpful advise. The staff at shelters is usually great about helping you find a good companion and will let you know if they see something you don't. Try to go off-hours, say during the week during their quiet time, so you can spend plenty of time letting the dogs get to know each other. Weekends are usually very busy for them, at least here.

You might be surprised with how it turns out. I've never had a small dog before this one. And I sure wasn't thinking of getting such a young puppy! But it's been great.

Keep in mind what kind of energy you want to create with the two. I think that's actually the most important part.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd personally wait. I thought a few times Duke would love a new friend, and it would keep him company, but I'm defiantly not where I want Duke in his training.. I think perhaps in a few years I'll revisit getting another dog once his older, wiser, oh and has better manners ... I think adding another dog is a recipe for disaster! But I have seen many people add a second and seem find.. we tend to think dogs need companions but I think all they need is us.. And when I do get another dog, it will defiantly be another boxer.. Likely adopt an older one from a rescue I hope. Duke plays like a butt head with other breeds.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you want to keep your sanity, I'd wait until your pup is 100% potty trained and doing well on other basic training. Keep in mind you mind want a break in potty training etc, before you start all over again. There's no guarantee that the pup you get will be easy to train.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want to keep your sanity, I'd wait until your pup is 100% potty trained and doing well on other basic training. Keep in mind you mind want a break in potty training etc, before you start all over again. There's no guarantee that the pup you get will be easy to train.
This is true. How old is your boxer? And is he potty trained? I was lucky that mine was fully trained when I got her at 7 months old. When I got my second one, the 2 month old, he was a breeze because he learned from her. He only ever peed in the house once, and once in his crate. And that was it. He knew what to do. I would say it took 2 weeks for him to be completely trained. We have a doggie door and they can go in and out.

And it's also true that some dogs don't need a companion dog. My previous dog enjoyed playing with other dogs but he wanted to be the only dog in the family. He was a large, very mellow guy, and that worked out fine. When we dog sat, he enjoyed the company and went back to napping when the dogs went home.

My boxer girl is sooooo much better with a companion. She needs a dog buddy. And we enjoy her a lot more now. My little guy would probably be fine without another dog, but I don't think he would be as happy. They really do love each other and miss each other when one is gone for even a few hours. Having seen the difference that they make in each other's lives, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think having a well-behaved dog is more important than a well-trained one. My dogs know very few tricks and commands, but they are awesome dogs. They are happy, well-behaved, loving, affectionate, etc..etc... :inlove: They are both strongly bonded to us as well, so that hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have 2 boxers, a male almost 4 (may 7) and another male who just turned 1yr.. got both when they were 8 weeks, they love each other, of course they argue but they do play nicely.. the puppy has more energy but it balances out... both are cuddlers and love bugs, both sleep with hubby and I and have replaced our "babies" that have grown up...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Because of boxers' play styles, I'd be leery of getting a smaller dog. When boxers start their crazy boxing and burning, you don't want the other dog to get hurt. I just got a 4-5 month standard dachshund puppy to foster last Friday, and the little guy (15 lb. currently) wants so badly to play with Jackson. However, Jackson got too excited and started bounding around Max like a crazy fool, and I was so afraid that he'd box him right on his back and break it - just from the shear force and strength, not from any aggression issues. It's the way boxers play. I had to tell Jackson that Max is off limits - sorry buddy. Fortunately, Jackson's a good boy, and he's leaving Max alone.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I would not get a second dog until the current one is fully trained and calmed down.

Duke will be 3 in June. I'm thinking of a second at this point. The hubby, not so much! lol

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I would not get a second dog until the current one is fully trained and calmed down.
This is "always" the best advice!

But I will say give it another 6 months at least and fostering would be a reasonably way to ease into a second dog!

You should understand this protocol:
I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog

Not what I did when we got our GSD..."not" doing the things suggested did not work out to well for me in the short run! :cry2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts