Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The most effective way to stop that (or most any undesirable behavior) is to ignore her when she does it.  You have the right idea about turning to avoid her jump.  Also, the person getting jumped on should walk out of leash range if she is on leash, and just turn their backs to her and look away from her, no eye contact or any recognition that she is there.  Now, the hardest part will be getting people that she meets to do this.  I hear so many times at the dog park when someone's dog jump up say "oh its okay if she jumps on me, I don't mind" they are trying to be nice, but really making the problem worse!
If she is off leash, do the same thing, but you will just have to try harder to ignore her jumping.  If it is too annoying, remove yourself (or the jumpee) from the room and go behind a closed door.  Notice, I said the person should move, because putting her in another room would mean giving her contact or attention.  Don't look at her or say anything to her, just look up at the ceiling or go in another room without acknowledging her.  the same thing will work for the licking.  when she starts licking, stop petting and giving attention, ignore her and put your hands behind your back so she can't lick them.
HTH!  It may take a while for this to work especially since she is a year old and has probably done this for her whole life, but eventually she will learn that jumping and licking mean her beloved people go away.
Edit: I forgot to add, but it is probably pretty obvious that as soon as she stops jumping or licking, reward her with attention, but try not to excite her so much that she starts jumping again.  It may also benefit to make her sit for any attention, especially when meeting people.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Great advice from goodgirl.... just to add - in this case she should have a lead on her at all times so you can quick step on the lead to control her jumping. Any dog at 1 years old, especially a boxer that hasn't learned that it is rude to jump on humans will be a longer process to correct. She has had 1,000 + of times to jump and now you have to reverse this habit.

The easiest way to change unwanted behavior is to replace it with another. That means instead of jumping for attention and licking she needs to sit. So if she doesn't know how to sit yet you need to start obedience lessons with her with lots of treats in the beginning. Also, as soon as she doesn't jump reward her plenty.... she needs lots of positive reinforcement.

Lastly, remember in this order to exercise (walk her) , Obedience and affection but only when she is calm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts