Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Boxer Forum,
I have a 13 month old boxer with a "recessed vulva" who has not had a cycle yet. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
564 Posts
She may be having some hormonal issues but she should be coming in any day now some dogs seem to mature slower. Have you discussed this with your Vet yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is aware of her RV, he spotted it during her first puppy visit after I got her. He suggested not having her spayed until after she has a couple of cycles, it may correct itself at that time.
We haven't seen him regarding her cycle since we have been on lockdown, but if she doesn't soon we will have to discuss with him.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Neither issue is something I’d be concerned about. Some girls can have their first heat cycles between 12-18 months. Your vet is correct that a heat cycle can help correct a recessed vulva but this isn’t always the case.

I’ve had several in my girls and I’d say 50% of them improved after several heat cycles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. She is now 15 mths and still nothing, your response has helped me not worry as much. My previous boxers have always been boys and my Boston Terriers tend to come in every 6-8 mths.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts