Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 4.5 month boxer puppy, Bruce. off late he is getting some boils on his back. last time when he had (about 2 weeks back) he was on antibiotics and it got cured to almost no boils.
However, this week again new boils have erupted. Not as bad as the first time it had spread. But I am concerned. Has anyone faced this?

Do you think it is food allergy?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It could be an allergy. What are you feeding the puppy? It also could be bacteria on the skin. Did the vet recommend bathing him with chlorhexidine shampoo?, Did he do a skin scraping? Is he on flea prevention? I understand the pus filled sacks can spread the bacteria? I could be wrong. I would take him back to the vet in any case as the initial dose of antibiotics apparently didn't solve the issue and he may just need more along with a topical application. I would look at bathing him along with the medication, while looking at what he is eating. This just may be puppy pyoderma and once treated and cleared as he matures it will go away. There are so many things that could cause it but I'd look at these simpler measures first.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Going back to the vet for an additional round of antibiotics, seems like a reasonable idea???

Beyond that and along the lines your thinking ... weekly baths with an Antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic, medicated shampoo would be a good idea.

I have not used these but they seem reasonable??
https://www.chewy.com/jax-n-daisy-antifungal-antibacterial/dp/169998
https://www.chewy.com/malaseb-medicated-shampoo-dogs-cats-8/dp/119232

I would also wash his bedding and just throw a sheet over it and wash that weekly for awhile.

Moving on and under the heading of it ... "Could Not Hurt??" I would add "Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil" into his diet. You can feed it to him directly a tablespoon per 30 lbs, is the recommendation but I would go with a teaspoon twice a day to start. Sometimes less is more.

Additionally you don't have to feed it to him directly at all??? You can just rub it on the problem area directly daily and if he licks it off ... it still works. Details on that one are here.:

https://www.sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs

And as for food and possible food allergies??? Who knows ... although I suppose a Vet would??? But that aside the usual next step for those of us who have had itchy dogs issues ( and for the record, this stuff is from my GSD experience) there is the Grain Free Option for Kibbel.

And there are a crap load of brands out there! And I'm not going there but two viable options are Victor's, Grain Free Formula's and if you are a Costco member there is "Nature's Domain."

If he is on a Chicken or Beef based Kibble?? You can find a different meat source in either of them or maybe, Chicken or Beef would be fine with either one??? Good Luck and Welcome Aboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts