Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn it.  We were approve to receive a pup in August from a reputible breeder with all the paperwork done.  I just visited the site and saw that the sire listed when we signed on has been changed.  Instead of a fawn he's a brindle and sounds like he has higher drives.

I've contacted the breeder regarding this switch, but originally both parents shown were fawn and now I'm concerned there will be brindle pups.  Getting a fawn was part of the motivation, and also was attracted to his personality and bloodlines.  Is this common, and should the breeder have contacted me instead of just "discovering" it myself.  Very confused.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sometimes the breeding did not take and them may select another stud or maybe they found one better suited for their bitch.  Regardless I would ask them why the switched and see their reasoning.  I understand your desire for color, but temperment and health IMO come FAR about that.   So if the bitch is a fawn and the sire a brindle hopefully odds are in your favor and you get what you want.   My only concern would be if you were really destin to have the bloodlines of the origional stud, and therefore bummed out.   However if its just color - ask and wait and see:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, I wouldn't get so much hung up on the color as the other factors...Before Flick was born I had a lot of talks with Rhonda regarding puppies, she knew that I had a preference for a brindle, BUT it was not written in stone. I was more interested in just getting a very good puppy..The night Charlie went into labor, Rhonda called me after the first 2 pups were born and said "willow I think this is your pup", he was a plain fawn with a lovely black mask..I said "ok Rhonda"..Calls me back 2 hours later and says "willow I really think you will wnat this guy and it was Flick....I tell you this to just let you know to keep your options open...I would much prefer a pup of a great temperment, good health and heck he could be purple!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not just fawn, but my image is of lovely mahogany.  Think I've gotten over the last one?  It is the health and personality, but the original sire had very balanced drives (whatever), and I don't know if I can handle what could be a real "handful" at this point in my life.  I'll whine for awhile and hope the purple might be really sharp with maybe a white collar.  I just got so many pitbull comments with the fawn I can't imagine how that might go down.  Waiting to kiss those soft jowels is killing me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's very common for switches to happen even up to the last minute, but she probably could have communicated it better to you.

Honestly, selecting a stud dog is hard. First, you have to take a hard look at your bitch (and her relatives, and her line) and pull out her most glaring faults (the things you want to improve upon). Then, you have to start looking at boys who don't have these faults. Then you have to look at their get and find out if they produced the traits you're looking for when bred to other bitches who were weak in those areas. Then you have to look at their pedigrees to make sure that their relatives aren't weak in the areas that you need to correct. There will always be SOMETHING with any dog, or line, or puppies produced, that you look at and have to ask yourself, "Can I live with that fault if that reproduces dominant in my litter?" and know that you may have to concede in an area to get something in another area. All of this happens in ALL three areas: temperament, health and conformation.

THEN, if there isn't something with the dog, you have to deal with the different personalities involved. Sometimes, the stud owners themselves don't care for your bitch. Sometimes the dog is inaccessible. Sometimes the dog is available when your bitch is not in season, but then unavailable when the bitch is in season (because he's on a show circuit or being bred to other bitches or out of the country). Sometimes freak things happen and the dog gets sick, or God forbid, succumbs to a freak accident. I've known breeders who's dogs have failed their semen evaluations when they went in to collect them for AI a day or two before the bitch was supposed to be bred.

SO much can happen that can make us have to switch to Plan B, which is why most breeders will have a list of three dogs all the way up to the time that their bitch is bred.

I'm not sure if you're a religious person, but with breeding, I've learned that sometimes you have to put things in God's hands. Many times things happen for a reason.

Having said this, I've ALWAYS communicated all three choices to the people on my waiting list, and as things change, I've communicated those things as well. I think that the lack of communication is what would bother me most about the change, and I'd call the breeder and feel her out about things.

I know that you've probably heard this before, but I'm going to say it again just cause. . . :p I'd not focus so much on the paint job as I would the health, temperament and structure of the animal. . . I know you're disappointed because you were wanting a fawn, but when it comes down to it, there are lots of fawns available that would make horrible pets. I'm sure you chose this breeder for a reason other than color, and I'd try to keep those reasons at the forefront and wait to make your final decision until you've met the puppies in person and seen their personalities. You may find that you like the personality traits that this brindle dog threw even more than what the fawn would have thrown. :)

And if it makes you feel any better, my fawn bitch has been called a pit bull much more than my two brindles ever have (but I think that was because she was with us when we lived in a more urban area than we do now).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate your input Jessica.  My response from the breeder is that she will be bred this week.  I'm feeling like an idiot, but the new website may have just indicated the brindle male was ALSO to be bred this spring.  They are several states apart, and I believe this may be the first litter both have been involved creating.  I hope things go well before I have a complete meltdown waiting.

I have had the high prey and food drives explained within the context of these Euro line working dogs, now if I can figure out what all those initials are around their names.  They are also bio-tested which I'm not even going to look into.  Confused already.

It's really interesting, but I wonder if you just put all the dogs intended to carry on the bloodlines in a field together what might become of letting them chose?

·
Registered
744 Posts
No problem!

It can be hard for me to be completely on the same page as you without knowing or seeing the dogs, but keep in mind that high drive and stability of temperament are two totally different things. :)

I've lived with dogs that have been high in each drive in their own right, but have learned over the years that it only becomes a problem when drives aren't balanced. For example, a dog with pack drive that is too high and low fight and prey drives can quickly turn into a separation anxiety case. Low fight drive can increase flight drive and can make the same dog unconfident and spooky, which adds to the problem.

One thought - I know you're getting antsy, but would it be worth it to wait for the brindle boy's breeding if you liked his temperament so much?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent you a pm about the fawn male.  You really put the drives in prospective.  His are supposed to be balanced, I think she's the one with the looks.  I'm encourage the pups are socialized from day one within the family (and around small children).  This should help in getting the best idea about temperament.

Neither one is docked, which we requested, so I don't know how early they can decide which ones they will keep and show.  Always being around Boxers, we couldn't figure out for awhile what that thumping noise was.  Of course it was the foster hound mix -  with a tail!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts