Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty boxer girl named Avery who is now 7 months old. I want to get her spayed, but so confused about when is the best time. I obviously want her to have the best quality of life so any intelligent advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Once upon a time it was recommended to have it done between 4-6 months. Now they are recommending you wait until 12-18 months or until the dog is matured and/or the growth plates have closed. Personally I kinda go with my gut. If you can keep her from having a litter I'd probably wait until she was a year old, however if there is a chance of her getting pregnant I'd have her done sooner. In either case it is good to discuss this with your vet for proper advise.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I do agree with Lindar51 but I would add if you do let her go into heat it will require you to have a place to keep her that she won't get blood everywhere and a secure yard she can't get out of or another dog can't get into. Some dogs don't come into heat until they are a year old so it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have a pretty boxer girl named Avery who is now 7 months old. I want to get her spayed, but so confused about when is the best time. I obviously want her to have the best quality of life so any intelligent advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
We waited to get our female spayed until she'd come into heat once. She ended up with spay incontinence, and has needed proin, and a hormone pill to keep her from wetting in the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts