Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone- I am at my wits end  :cry: need to vent and possibly get some ideas
I've had my 2 babies for about 1 month and since day 1 Jasmine has peed the cage just about everyday.  At first I thought well she's tiny and can't hold it plus I had her and Damien in the cage together... so honestly I wasn't for sure that she was the only one peeing.  2 weeks ago I broke down and got an additional cage b/c they are just too big and couldn't fit inside the same one together.  They don't seem to mind being seperated, I give them a chew toy or their kong w/ a little penut butter and they don't wimper or cry at all... they go into their cage willingly and get all comfy / lay down.  What's more I think Damien is a little releived to be able to stretch out and have some peace and quiet time (Jasmine can be a little pain in the butt)
So now that they are seperated I know for sure that she is peeing her cage and Damien is the one who can hold it.  At least that mystery is solved...
But why is she peeing???

A little background:
They are brother and sister - just over 3 months old.  Damien is mellow, calm and the biggest lover-boy ever! He comes when you tell him... sits the first time you tell him... basically not really a trouble maker-
Jasmine on the other hand is my problem child.  She won't come when you call unless she see Damien coming... or she'll circle around you 3x before finally deciding she wants to come... won't sit until I use my "oh you better listen" voice... gets into anything and everything... in one word: A rebel.  

My husband thinks Damien is just developing faster than she is... which could be... but is there anything I can do to keep her from peeing in the cage.  Oh and it doesn't matter how long she is in there.  1 hour or 4... she's peed! I've tried taking out her comfy pillow and leaving a towel in there... seems to make it worse.  I've tried making the area she has smaller so that she'll have to lay in her mess... she doesn't care.  She doesn't pee anywhere else in the house. Just her cage.  Oh yeah and leaving her out of the cage to have free roam of the house / puppy proofing an area is not an option.  She will not win me over w/ her stubborness...

Thanks for letting me vent -
ps.  Here's a few pictures of the little terrors

My step-daughter Mia out-numbered

Damien the lova-boy

Play time w/ daddy & Mia in the kitchen

Intruder alert

Beka

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a Boxer when I was younger that did the same thing and we tried everything to figure it out. After getting VERY frustrated I went to the vet and he told me that the crate I had for her was too big and left her the space to pee on one side and lay on the other. He said to get a smaller crate where she didn't have that space and she wouldn't do it. Sure enough, I got a smaller crate and she stopped peeing in it.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I experienced the same thing with Lucy. I got a smaller crate and it did the trick. She would pee on the towel I had in there and then push the towel to the back so she didn't have to be in it - smart little sh#$T! Someone else recommended removing the towel and then she would not have any choice but to be in it but thank goodness the smaller crate worked perfectly.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ryan for the idea.  How small was this crate? She's in a huge crate now but it has a divider... I've made the area very small so she has room to turn around and lay down.  Basically when she pees in there she's laying in it after.  Yet she still does it  :aua:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well that really is all the room that mine had, but she refused to do it if she had to lay in it. Another thing is the smell of it after she has already done it in one spot. My vet told me that anytime my puppy has an accident, clean the spot very well and then put a couple of drops of vanilla extract on i so that they can't smell it and think that it's ok to pee in that spot again. Another thing that I've learned having Boxer's my whole life is that they are the smartest dog, but they can also be the MOST stubborn dogs too.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking that maybe she could still be smelling in on her pillow (even after I washed it twice) so I got a new one / used a towel that she hadn't gone on before but she peed on it as well  :(
I'm using the Nature's Miracle stuff to clean her cage up and I got the huge gallon size one and use it in the wash too.  

I totally agree this breed is very determined (STUBBORN) lol

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
from my own personal experience i would take the pillow and all bedding out until she is trained. My youngest (she just turned 1) would pee in the kennel if there was any sort of blanket or pillow in there. We had to remove all bedding and that fixed her problem. Also use the divider....she should have enough room inher kennel to turn circles and lay down...nothing more. NM works awesome...Best of luck, also keep in mind 3 months is still young. how often are you taking her out, or leaving her in the kennel for? A pup that young should be taken out around every 2 hours, i would say 4 hours MAX!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about leaving her in there without a pillow or blanket but felt really bad  :(  I just moved the divider a little bit more so we'll see.  The next step (if she pees again) will be to leave her in there w/ no bedding...

How long until you could put the bedding back in her cage?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had same problem with my 4 month old boy Oscar. I got tired of washing his bed  :x since yesterday I'm living him only with few toys inside no pillow no we-we pads no blanket and miracle happen he is not peeing or pupping lets hope It will stay like that  :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts