Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month boxer bitch is constantly scratching and cutting herself leaving scabs to her head by her ears and also cutting inside her ears causing her distress . I have had 2 doses of anti biotics changed her diet to grain free and now the vet has administered cytopoint which may be a life long process . She has had all her jabs plus flea and worming tablets religiously ; can anyone help as the £150 a month for the cytopoint is not sustainable

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
First thing I would do is not use grain free dog food! There is substantial research of the negative affect on dogs hearts. Have your dogs ears been treated for possible yeast infection? I would also give the cytopoint at least one more month and after that see if you can do every other month. Apaquel is cheaper but can have side effects. People tend to blame the dogs food for ear problems but most often this is an environmental allergy. I would also recommend getting some ear cleaning solution for dogs and clean out the outside ear flap area a couple times a week never go down inside the ear canal though

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
My 6 month boxer bitch is constantly scratching and cutting herself leaving scabs to her head by her ears and also cutting inside her ears causing her distress . I have had 2 doses of anti biotics changed her diet to grain free and now the vet has administered cytopoint which may be a life long process . She has had all her jabs plus flea and worming tablets religiously ; can anyone help as the £150 a month for the cytopoint is not sustainable
A vet dermatologist diagnosed our 3-year old with atopic dermatitis. She was on Apoguel for awhile, bit is now on Cytopoint. It works really well, and she is miserable without it. On top of that she has repeated infections of Malassezia Dermatitis which is a fungal infection that shows up in her ears, paws, and belly. This is common in dogs with immune problems. The Cytopoint keeps it at bay somewhat. The Dermatologist gave us DouxoS3 shampoo to wash her weekly, and we use the DouxoS3 daily on her feet. We get different drops for the yeast in her ears that can turn into an infection quickly. The next step may be an oral anti-fungal medication. Can your vet do a culture to test for the Malassezia?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
They suggested I feed Ultamino (?) as a very strict diet. No other foods. If things didn't improve, it would indicate that a protein or food allergy was a cause. We would have allergy shots made up for her.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My female Boxer has environmental allergies and cytopoint keeps it in check very well plus I do regular ear cleanings when I am doing “wrinkle maintenance” the way the allergy thing was explained to me was if the dog has a food allergy then drugs like cytopoint and apaquel will not work those only relieve environmental type allergies so if the dog is doing better with the meds then it’s likely not the food

1 - 5 of 5 Posts