Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have always crate trained. Since we picked our pup up last Thursday, it has been a nightmare. She will cry for hours. She is waking our kids up. When a sitter is over, she whined Friday from 7 till 11:30. At that point my sitter left and said it was to much. What can we do to calm her down? She is also pooping and smashed that into the plastic and all over her. I've never seen anything like this! I'm debating ordering a collar that omits ultrasonic waves to stop the barking. Just looking for insight. I don't have an area for her to roam without it possibly doing thousands of dollars in damages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar issues

Would love to hear some pro insight into this issue well. Mine has similar issues (not the poop part, thank goodness) with being in the crate.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife has had boxers for 30 years. We have never dealt with this before. The first day I expected some nerves, but yesterday she pooped in her crate on two different times. Her poor skin is gonna take a beating with the baths. I hate to think medicate, but does anybody use calming sprays or medicines then? I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to come home to this every day either.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I can't help w/ personal experience as we have never had to crate train our boys, however, there are several threads on here with a lot of advise and links to articles about ways to help crate train. Some have also had to work with the furbaby to train them not only to like the crate, but now to whine.

You'll likely get some replies, but in the meantime I'd recommend searching the site for similar threads. I hope you find something that helps soon as this sounds miserable for all of you.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I briefly searched the site the other day. I will try to do a more thorough search this evening. It is miserable. Everyday I am cleaning up smashed poop. When I went home for lunch today, same story. We have crate trained and before and this has never been an issue. I'm thinking this is the way the pup is. I'm trying practical options and hoping she grows out of it. If this persists past a couple months, she's gone. I've never felt so frustrated in my life. I've joked an asked if she will get laryngitis as she whines for hours on end.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Did your vet give her a wellness check after you picked her up? We had our puppy in a crate in our bedroom for the first month so he wasn't alone. We just would take him out to go every few hours whether he cried or not. We put another crate in the kitchen or family room so he was always with us.

We found out our puppy had Giardia, and needed a few regimes of antibiotics. I think it can be painful for them.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I hope you find a solution. Our guy never once messed in his crate and we crated from day 1. We used a blanket to cover the crate and we kept (still do) it in the kitchen off to the side so he could hear us walking around there and see us and he learned he only came out when he was quiet. However he did not whine on end, it does sound like she has some anxiety issues. How old was she when you picked her up and was she strictly with her litter mates or did the breeder start to crate train? Did you speak to the breeder about this? I wouldn't want to medicate a puppy, perhaps a ticking clock or I've seen they have a stuffy with a heartbeat for puppies. Someone on here had one for their pup I see if I can find a link to them. What did the vet say about her when she went for her checkup and I wold check for parasites not just the normal worming but a check for giardia or cocciosis.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
We have always crate trained. Since we picked our pup up last Thursday, it has been a nightmare. She will cry for hours. She is waking our kids up. When a sitter is over, she whined Friday from 7 till 11:30. At that point my sitter left and said it was to much. What can we do to calm her down? She is also pooping and smashed that into the plastic and all over her. I've never seen anything like this! I'm debating ordering a collar that omits ultrasonic waves to stop the barking. Just looking for insight. I don't have an area for her to roam without it possibly doing thousands of dollars in damages.
Well you have more experience actually Crate training then myself because having raised five puppies as of today I still have zero experience with "Crating." That proved to be a mistake with my first GSD but I had other issues (lack of enough Structure in the home for him) but I digress. So not much help there .... but wait there's more.

Dog or puppy when one is faced with "issues" they have not faced before sound advice, is to first take a deep breath and relax! You don't get anywhere fighting issues ... I tried that with Rocky my GSD ... it did not work out so well ... "out thinking him." worked much better. :)

Next step is realizing that "this" puppy is not your other puppies. That just means that what worked with your other puppies ... maynot work with this puppy???

The damage to property thing ... would be a concern but the simplest solution for that "could be an EX-Pen???

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-exercise-pen-step-through/dp/125048?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Frisco&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac5ajosTKRedH5ZlF4Q-9tn7O2nlNWY6uUyxmQyB6khicCevctiuuHRoCeFwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And put the Crate in there and let her go in and out as she pleases. You could also "feed" or give treats to her only in the Crate. And again let her go in or out of the Crate in the Ex-Pen, as she pleases. Give that a week of no "pressure" then maybe start adding "Kennel Up at meal times and close the dog.

If you get her past the instant door closed freak out zone. Then ... start to let her out only when she is calm. The moment she is "calm" mark with a Yes, and let her out ... you'd want to reward calm behaviour in the Crate. The goal being ... being calm gets me out.

And feeding her in the Crate only. "Should" help to change her association with being in there?? And there is also the smaller Crate no room to go number two but if she rolls in Poo Poo anyway ... that may not work???

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Oh that's how you get the tic tock sound these days and I see the one is heated also. Course you have to monitor first use puppy might try and eat the thing the thing up???
LOL Chip. I never used one of these things but I never had a dog carry on like this one they are taking about. She sounds a bit anxious to me. Hopefully he can get her to settle.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
LOL Chip. I never used one of these things but I never had a dog carry on like this one they are taking about. She sounds a bit anxious to me. Hopefully he can get her to settle.
OH that's OK ...I've heard of both the hot water bottle thing and the ticking clock sound ... good luck finding a wind up clock??

That one doll/tool/toy??? Seems to incorporate both ... pretty cool it falls under the it could not hurt heading, unless they eat it. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chip, we have looked at the pens for inside. I thought about putting one in our Florida room since it is tile. My question that is how would you secure the pen. Sophie jumps in the crate when she is crying. We thought if she jumped on the metal it would slide. If it slides far enough, she could scratch the crap out of furniture and drywall.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try a heartbeat puppy (puppy stuffed animal with a heart you can put in it to mimick litter mates or mom). I didn't know about them when I was crate training! My girl took a long time to get adjusted to her crate, I don't think she'd ever been in one. I fed her in her crate and left the door open, used treats to try to lure her in, but not much worked for us honestly. Just time. I also put a shirt with my scent on it in her crate, covered her crate with a blanket. She would bite the bars, foam at the mouth, jump around like crazy. We eventually found that if we left the radio on while we were gone it helped a bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeep - I started a thread a few weeks back titled "puppy losing her mind when alone" and Chip and Linda had some really really great things to say about crate training. Our puppy still does not do well but she has gotten better (at least we think so, we don't have a monitor on her when we are away so still not 100% sure how she acts)

We diffuse essential oils in the room where she is (mostly lavendar) I also leave the radio on when we are gone. We use the command kennel up but I still have to force her into the crate. She gets a KONG stuffed with treats every time she is in there. She eats her meals in there. but we don't try to do training while we are still home because she is obnoxious and my daughter (on the autism spectrum) can not handle it. we are just pushing through. She pees in her crate every time she is in there, so i have to wash towels just about every day. wish i had more helpful things to say! Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
We also tried to gate her into the kitchen while we were gone but she was able to get out every time we tried and would destroy something, so the crate it is for right now!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
chip, we have looked at the pens for inside. I thought about putting one in our Florida room since it is tile. My question that is how would you secure the pen.
Oh ... you're still here. :)

Sophie jumps in the crate when she is crying. We thought if she jumped on the metal it would slide. If it slides far enough, she could scratch the crap out of furniture and drywall.
Ok that makes sense but that is a mechanical problem ... no big deal.

Two prong approach. Step one an old hose well not to old cracked and brittle is not gonna work. But ... cut it up into 6 or 8 inch long sections and slice them on one side lengthwise and put a section of hose on the bottom of the Ex Pen they should just slip on and maybe tie wrap into place.

That should protect the floor but it won't stop it from moving. To stop it from moving ... surround it with four concrete blocks, wrap them in heavy towels and I'd wrap duct tape around the towels lengthwise and surround the Ex- Pen with them. The duct tape maybe overkill but hey it works for everything. :)

And the Crate goes in the Ex Pen and back to the feed only in the Crate bit. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Jeep - I started a thread a few weeks back titled "puppy losing her mind when alone" and Chip and Linda had some really really great things to say about crate training. Our puppy still does not do well but she has gotten better (at least we think so, we don't have a monitor on her when we are away so still not 100% sure how she acts)

We diffuse essential oils in the room where she is (mostly lavendar) I also leave the radio on when we are gone. We use the command kennel up but I still have to force her into the crate. She gets a KONG stuffed with treats every time she is in there. She eats her meals in there. but we don't try to do training while we are still home because she is obnoxious and my daughter (on the autism spectrum) can not handle it. we are just pushing through. She pees in her crate every time she is in there, so i have to wash towels just about every day. wish i had more helpful things to say! Good luck!
Aww ... I knew it was someone but could not remember who ... my bad but ... I'm on it. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/puppies-eggheads-fur-babies/201042-puppy-losing-her-mind-when-alone-2.html

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Can we get more info please.

How old is she. How are you introducing her to the crate? For how long?
Aww the old ask questions approach. :)

I'm good with that and I dare say you've most likely seen this before. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts