Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cooper has gone missing. I left the house for 30mins and put him in the backyard. He got out and went exploring. He ended up on a slightly busy street and I was told he was hit by a car. He's been missing a little over 24hrs. I've been looking for him all over. Gone to over 100 houses, business, vets and ER vets. Passed out over 100 flyers. Checked the local spca(strays, DOA, quarentine) and he is nowhere to be found. He is very timid and I have a hard time beliveing he let anyone pick him up. I'm afraid he's by himself somewhere off in the bushes in pain. If anybody has any recommendations of what else I could do please let me know. I've even gone as far as. Using my car window as a poster. With lost boxer, age size and my number. We've used craigslist, the local newspaper, and facebook to our full advantage. We really, really miss him. If you could just keep us in your thoughts and prayers That would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
oh no. I hope you find him. Thoughts and prayer going to you and him. Just keep doing what you are doing. Have you told your local police too? Police are good for it to cause they patrol alot of areas you know. Please keep us posted when ever you can. Stay strong.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Oh wow how sad poor Cooper!! :( I hope he is ok and is not hurt! I will keep you and him in my prayers for him to return home safely. I live in Manteca CA if there is anything I can do let me know. This is heartbreaking I'm so so sorry

·
Registered
253 Posts
First of all, I am heartbroken hearing your story. Having said that, I know you are in a time crunch and are really looking for suggestions. I do have one suggestion. As much as I despise craiglist and all of the animal postings, it has been used recently in my area for a lot of good.

You can even post asking for volunteers to help look for the dog. Although, because all of the nutjobs out there, I would see if you could get someone else to help you do the post and help coordinate.

Recently, in my area, there have been a few retired people (who are very active volunteers in local shelters) who have been posting the "story" and urging people to help. They help coordinate mini searches as well as work with people who can't actively search but want to help (make phone calls etc.)

I know that in one situation that I responded to a few months ago, there was over 200 volunteers who ended up responde to the craigslist post and helped search and make calls during a two week period. (Most were from word of mouth, once someone read it - like people who read it in there office and shared with co-workers.) There had been repeated sightings of the dog farther and farther away from the house, it was eventually found and returned to the owners almost 8 miles away.

At the very least, I would post something. But, again, be wary of the type of response you might get (some mean people out there could just respond with hurtful or incorrect information.) If you could get a friend or relative who would take on the responsibility of posting and "filtering" it might be helpful and allow you to keep your focus on your own search.

Again, - so sorry to hear this. I will be keeping my fingers crosses and I will be sending positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm so sorry! You must be frantic! Why do you think he was hit by a car? One dog that I found was very far from home, he just ran. He got back to his owner :) Also, you might try to grab your mail person, and show them a pic, they go to every house in your neighborhood, and may notice if they see him. Good Luck, I hope Cooper is found soon!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Also, you might try to grab your mail person, and show them a pic, they go to every house in your neighborhood, and may notice if they see him.
I was going to suggest this too. We have had some lost dogs returned due to a mail carrier spotting them. Another good source is the garbage pick-up folks in nearby areas, UPS and FedEx drivers if you happen to see them in the area you can hand them a flyer with a photo of Cooper. The thought of Cooper out there possibly injured is just heartbreaking. Where are you in CA?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone saw my posting and called and said she had seen him getting hit by a car. There was also a couple kids who said the same thing. Said he was running around along one of the busy streets near my neighborhood. He went missing rite across the street from a high school and I was also told there was students trying to grab him but he would just bark and dart. This is all info I've gotten from people who have seen my posters, or whose house I stopped at. Tank you everybody!!!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Liz I hope he comes home safely. I posted his information in a couple of boxer groups I belong to on facebook. Hopefully they will crost post and get the word out to people in that general area. Many members in those groups work in rescue and are great about cross-posting. We are praying he comes home soon!

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Oh this is a terrible thing to happen. I hope someone is able to find him and help get him back home to you. If you think he may be hurt and lying in the bushes the only thing I can suggest that hasn't already been suggested is to go to the area where people said they saw him get hit by a car, and search on foot. Take one of your other dogs with you on leash. Do you think one of your other dogs could maybe help sniff him out if you said "where's Cooper ?"

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
How to Find a Lost Dog - wikiHow

I found this online and I hope it is helpful. Was he microchipped? Alert the microchip company as well. Call all the vets in the area and all the vets in the outlying areas.

I am so very sorry you are dealing with this. I hope Cooper is reunited with you very soon.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Alert the microchip company as well.
Good idea! If you have homeagain I know they have an alert procedure where they will alert all the vets in the area as well as send out emails to people who wish to be notified of missing pets. I do think you have to be enrolled in the membership plan to have them do this, but if you don't have it I bet they would take the yearly payment over the phone and send out the alerts right away. I'm not sure if AVID has this same thing or not? It would be worth checking into if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Oh this is such aweful news to read first thing in the morning. am so sorry to hear about cooper. I am hopeing there will be some good news today. I have been thinking of why no one would have stopped to help, but the fact that people have said they tried to catch him makes me feel as though IF he was hit, perhaps it is not serious if he is able to avoid them. I really hope you hear some great news today. I am sure Cali is filled with news stories, but perhaps you could email them a flyer and they could take 20 sec to just show his pic and alert people he is missing and could be hurt. .......Dear Lord be with cooper, help him not be afraid, and wrap your arms around him and bring him home to his family. Amen!! Best of luck and please keep us posted

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh no....this is terrible! Pls keep us posted and I am praying that you get some good news today!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Oh no! This is terrible :(
I hope he's not in pain somewhere hiding. I know someone who lost their dog and called all the local doggie walkers and asked to keep an eye out. She sent the companies a picture and all the details. One of the walkers found the dog while out on a job. It might help to do this as well. The more people involved, the better the chances of finding him. Sort of like a search party...
Oh, Cooper...I hope you're ok, honey.
I'll be praying for you guys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is so sad. I will be praying for Cooper. I hope that you find him. Hugs to you!

1 - 20 of 166 Posts