Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious what the cost of a neuter is in your areas. Ive never had a dog neutered before. My vet says for a neuter and the meds it is about 400$ for a dog that is 40-70lbs. Maverick got weighed at the vet today and he is 42lbs (he was more but decided to boycott eating this week). I will have him neutered when i find a vet i am comfortable with but i was wondering if this was the general cost of a neuter...my vet seems expensive to me in general compared to the vet in my old town. Im going to call around and find other quotes but just wanted to know if this sounded normal to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds a bit high...females don't even cost that much here.. Bo is getting fixed through a clinic for $40...so can't help you with actual cost.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You should definitely be able to find something cheaper and still safe.  Some of the vets where I live gave me $300-400 quotes as well.  I think I just live in a city where things are more expensive.  I ended up taking Felix back to my home town where my mom still lives and it was about $120 for laser surgery.  The "regular" kind of neuter was about $50 less, but from what I've read laser surgery is a lot less painful and causes less bleeding and swelling so we went for that.
Good luck!
I would just call around and ask.  Most importantly make sure they do not use ACE- ever on him.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
A neuter on a dog that size where I am is $125.00 including after care med's....If the dog has not been seen prior or cant provide records of recent bloodwork (heartworm neg etc...) then there is an additional $25.00 fee to run the bloodwork. Our price for females is $50.00 more so $175.00....I know prices are different everywhere but I agree that is high!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not that it's much use to you, but just for comparison purposes, we paid the equivalent of $365 to get Tink spayed and $408 for Hector.  His was a little bit more expensive than standard because he had to stay two nights at the vets and also needed pain meds & antibiotics, but we still wouldn't have seen much change out of $350, I reckon, even if everything had been normal!

Boru, thankfully, was neutered by the rescue who got him out of the pound on Monday, so his didn't cost us a penny!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think it varies from state to state.   I step into the Veets around here like yesterday for food alergies, and cannot escape leaving without paying over $100.00   Just to get in the door - typical vet visit is $53.00.    I would say IMO neuter should be anywhere from 175.00 - to 300.00.

It also depends on if their balls are down or not.  If a dog has an undecended testicle, its a more evasive surgery and may require additional cost.  

As many people price around to get the best prices, I only allow my dogs to be in the care of a Vet I trust.  So if its 100 cheaper down the road, and i am not familar with them, that extra 100 bucks to ease my mind to put my dogs with people I trust is 100% worth it.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel's neuter was about 230-260 (I dont remember atm). Because he had 1 undecended testicle, it was actually the price of a spay.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was quoted over $400 at my vet.  The local humane society has a deal for $45-55.  Also, there's a vet here that does almost only spaying and neutering. They're actually called Simply Spay and Neuter.  Going to check with them.  I'm sure they're well below the $400 mark.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think it cost me like $300 for the laser.  Without laser it was $50 less.  Like Heather said, around here you can't walk out of a vet office around here for under $100 so all in all, $300 for an entire day there and the surgery doesn't seem that bad.  (Yeah I know it's a lot of cash, I'm trying to convince myself I didn't get ripped off)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
GO to your local humane society.  Jessie was 50lbs at the time of her surgery and it costs me 75 bucks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts