Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar my 4 month old is having I think some kind of  cough. Oscar is our first dog so I'm not sure if that's a cough or something else He starts that on saturday and i thought on the beginning that maybe its because he lost his tooth at that day but on sunday it was worse. He is doing that every 30 minutes I would say and it sounds like he is trying to spit out something that bother his throat. Otherwise he is doing fine acting eating and pooping normal Can this be some kind of dog flu? Please help.
Magda

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It could be a cough or something that has aggrivated his throat and it could also be a reverse sneeze....The most common cough would be from kennel cough it will sometimes go away on it;s on and other times will get worse and need some med's

If you search for threads on reverse sneeze you can see if it sounds like what he is doing....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah sounds like reverse sneezing, which most likely is harmless.  So many things can cause it:  excitement, rough playing, allergies, etc.  I didn't know what it was either until I asked on this forum.  It sounds worse than it is.  Thank goodness for people like Sharon and others on here who have all the answers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did search on reverse sneeze SharonL  and I think this is it. You think I should take him to the vet since he is doing this so often? May i live him by himself  for an hour?
PS. Thanks Sharon :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
He can stay by himself....it sounds worse then it is....if you are there when he is doing it you can rub his throat or place your hand over his nose to make him swallow if it is reverse sneeze he will stop doing it.......If it gets worse or keeps going then you would want to have him checked....It can be triggerd by alot of things but maybe think if you have sprayed anything or cleaned the house recently things like this can cause it...smelling perfume, hairspray etc...

·
Registered
204 Posts
How long have you had him? Has he been in contact with any other dogs lately? If it is a dry cough follow by a gagging sound then most likely it is kennel cough. Take him to the vet, and if it's mild he will tell you to just wait it out. It usually last about 2 weeks. If it is something more serious, the vet will probably prescribe you antibiotics. You should get it check out ASAP because it can turn into bronchitis if let untreated especially with Puppies. It can get worst at night. You can take some water and heat it up alittle, and put a little bit of honey in it and give it to your dog. It helps with his throat.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our puppy did the same thing it sounds horrible, and scary, it lasted about a week on and off and the vet told me he probably just had a cold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have Oscar since the beginning of November, he finish all his shots already and yes he has a contact will other dogs every day. But these dogs are our friends puppy's and they are OK. I cal my vet yesterday he told me to wait 2-3 days and if anything bring him to his office. Since yesterday night he is spiting a lot of mucus. He eat fine in the morning and we went outside for a bathroom  :) we got back quickly and I gave him water with honey.( Thanks Catosmommy   :) .) Now he is sleeping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts