Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon while wolfing down her lunch - Chloe started "choking" DH said and coughed up all her food on the floor (not throw-up - it was dry).  Then again last night while eating dinner she did the same thing - we assumed it was because she ate too fast (except I noticed some white foam she coughed up too - and that she was trying to draw breath from her nose and she was shaking all over) - This lasted for about 2 minutes - once it was done she ate all the food she coughed all over the place and appeared fine.

Then today I come home at lunch to let her out and she comes out of her crate and she does the same thing - except it sounds more like she has a stufffed up nose and a lot of mucus - like a snorting sound/gagging sound)  I fed her lunch and only let her eat 1/4 cup at a time to keep her from choking - but I have this nagging feeling - I gave her a really large edibles bone (from Nylabone) and she ate all but the last 4" in about an hour - Could she have broken some off and gotten it lodged in her throat? - that was Sunday - everything else appears normal.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You always need to wet down dry food with a nice watery gravy to help it slide down those wide boxer throats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When this happens rub her nose.  By rubbing her nose this will stimulate her to start breathing again in a regular way.  I was at the vet one day when a boston terrier came in doing this.  The vet started rubbing his nose and he stopped right away.

Sassy eats to fast sometimes and does this same thing.  Once i rub her nose she is fine.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I read an article in a dog magazine about a dog that suffered a stomach torsion. He recovered fine, but to stop it recurring again, he now has to share his food bowl with a ball! The idea is that because he has to keep moving the ball around to eat his food, he can't wolf it down too quickly which increases the chances of his stomach torsion reacurring.
Don't know if that would be worth trying as an idea to get Chloe to stop wolfing down her food too quickly!

Heather

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advise - I did keep her from eating too fast - and she seems to have figured it our herself - no problems in a few days!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts