Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone ever had one of your boxers have a coughing or kinda of like having a hairball stuck in their throat episode? We have a 10 week old that was just given his second set of shots and a clean bill of health . He still has these episodes I call them every once and a while. Vet says he is fine and is not Kennal cough .

·
Registered
20 Posts
As anyone ever had one of your boxers have a coughing or kinda of like having a hairball stuck in their throat episode? We have a 10 week old that was just given his second set of shots and a clean bill of health . He still has these episodes I call them every once and a while. Vet says he is fine and is not Kennal cough .
My 7 year old boxer used to do that, before he passed. I usually figured it was just hair in his throat (we had him and a cat). He was very healthy though and it never adversely affected him!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tyson does something like that occasionally. I videod it and showed it to the vet. The vet said it was a reverse sneeze. they also said many dogs do it and I researched "reverse sneeze" online , it's true. He's had a EKG that was perfect. We only got it done because before his biopsy for the tumor I was scared of him being under anesthia. I requested the EKG and They did it more for my peace of mind. I'm not sure if it's the same thing your speaking of but that was our experience.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Jax coughs sometimes when he plays hard and it sounds kind of like he has a hairball- he's a talker/growler so we think it's a horse throat. If he drinks too fast he'll do it sometimes too. As long as it's not consistent it's probably not a viral or bacterial illness- based on our experience.

Our boys have had kennel cough and the coughs are much more consistent.

Tundra does the reverse sneeze sometimes- to me this seems like he can't breathe- like he's trying to suck in air, but can't. You can physically see him trying to breathe. It only last for a few seconds and then he's done. It scared me when he first did it, but from talking with a friend who has had multiple dogs, it is a reverse sneeze and nothing to worry about.

I'd recommend seeing your vet if it continues to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
If you have recently vaccinated for bordatella (KC), then chances are that's exactly what it is. Many times the vaccine itself can give our dogs KC.

Can you take a video of this cough?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes we will try when he does it again. It is definitely not a reverse sneeze. We have had other boxers that have done that and I would know that if I heard it. This is more of a hack / gag reflex like if he had a dry throats or something. Could it be allergies?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Kai will do this occasional when he eats or drinks too fast. Lately he does it more often when he eats his bible and on ocaion has brought it up. It see3ms he does not chew his food he just swallows it. We were wondering if we should raise his bowls, ass he is bending his feet in kind of a curl while eating or drinking.??? and I think this is when he coughs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts