Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Duke to the vet on Saturday for shots and to check his demodex.  I noticed a growth in between one of his toes that I wanted the Vet to check out because I thought it could be another Demodex spot, I did some research online and they said they can get demodex on their paws.  

The vet said it could be one of two things, she said that it could be a growth that could be cancer and would need to be removed and biopsied or it could be something else (sorry I forgot the name) and to use a steroid cream to see if it would go away on its own.  This is what we are hoping it is.  We go back on December 1st to see if it needs to be removed and biopised.  We are so scared.  Duke is only 10 months old and the breeders said they don't know of any cancer in his background.  Our vet said she had a boxer that got cancer at 9 months that lived until he was 15 but had to have 30 surgeries.  (sorry I don't spell very well).  I don't want to put Duke through the pain of 30 surgeries.  

I am so scared for him.  I love all my fur babies but there is something different about Duke something almost human, he seems to know just when I need him even if I'm not in the same room.  I was in the bedroom talking to my mom on saturaday when we go home from the vet and Duke was sleeping in the living room, I got off the phone and laid down on the bed and not even a minute later he came in and cuddled with me.  He didn't leave me for 3 hours, its different with him, almost like he understands me even when he probably shouldn't.  I've never had a dog like Duke, and it kills me that he might have to go through this pain.  

I know I shouldn't get worked up till I know.  Please keep Duke in your thoughts, I really hope it isn't cancer.  

Thank you for listening, I just needed to tell someone that I knew would understand.

·
Registered
933 Posts
We really hope it's not cancer, too.  We'll pray that everything turns out great!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I sure hope it is not cancer and that Duke will be ok.  Hopefully the steriod cream will make it go away.

When my pit bull Rascal was 8 years old, he had a growth on the inside of his little toe it was not cancerous but they had to amputate that little toe.  Once it healed he never had anymore problems and hardly noticed it wasn't there anymore.  He lived until he was 15 without any other problems.

Please let us know as soon as you know more, he will be in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"47783 said:
I am sorry to hear that, I hope it turns out alright...

Check out this topic, does it look like this? Our Abby had the same issue....hopefully this is all that it is:

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... hlight=toe

(if the link does not work, do a search for the topic entitled "foot problem")
Duke's kind of looks like that only alot smaller, it is maybe alittle smaller then a dime and hard not squshy.  It doesn't hurt when we push on it or anything.  But thanks for posting that, I'm thinking about taking him to my parents vet to get a second opinon, our vet is usually pretty good but on Saturday she seemed to be more impatient.  So hopefully it turns out to be something else.  But thank you for the information maybe I will try it, it couldn't hurt.  

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm sure your dukey do will be just fine. Milo had a quarter size growth on his elbow when he was fairly young, around 1 year old. We had it removed and he's been fine ever since. Caesar also had a growth inbetween his toes and it just went away with time.

Best of luck to you and Duke though.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hope everything turns out ok.  I'm surprised that your vet didn't go ahead and get a sample and have it tested for cancer.  When they told us Charlie might have cancer on his spleen, it was rough until we found out the tests were negative.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim has the same problem with a growth between his toe, this is the second one he has had, although different paw. The vet called it an interdigital pyroderma ( infection between toes ) or cyst, they are a form of inflammation and can be caused by allergies. One of the complications that can arrise is a bacterial infection for which antibiotics are subscribed. Ekim is taking simplicef for 7 days and I also soak his paw in epson salt and warm water for ten minutes. As with all dogs especially our boxer buddies, all lumps are suspicious and proper diagnosis by a professional is always mandatory. My vet will see Ekim in about 2 weeks and if no improvement he will remove the lump and biopsy it, I would rather error on the cautious side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hope everything turns out fine with Duke....Ill keep u both in my prayers.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping it's not as serious as thought....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Please don't worry too much even if it does turn out to be cancer. Voltaire had a cancerous growth removed from his inner thigh this summer (he was almost 3 years old then) and the vet didn't do a biopsy because he was pretty certain of what it was just by the look of it.  The op wasn't a big one and he healed really well - you can't even see a scar. Cancer always sounds scary but there are different levels of seriousness. At least with a visible one you have a chance of catching it early. I check him over all the time and i know the next sign of a growth and i'll rush off to the vet to get rid of it double quick. But so far so good, he's happy and healthy and i'm sure Duke will be fine too. Be brave and lots of well wishes to you :) .

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Sending you and Duke positive thoughts! Hopefully the steroid cream will work on the lump. Would the vet be willing to do a needle biopsy just to put your mind at ease??? Hate that you have to wait until 12/1, I would be frantic by then. Please keep us posted with progress.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh...i hope everything is ok. please keep us informed on how he is doing. the girls and i are sending positive thoughts, and lots of >:D<  >:D<  >:D<  >:D<

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww poor Duke. I'm hoping that it is something that will go away with the steroid cream. Good luck and keep your chin up! We are all here for you.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the positive thoughts.  We are thinking about taking him to my parents vet this week, if he does need surgery they are more willing to work with you payment wise, its right before the holidays so we are  a little broke so it would be nice to be able to make payments.  I will keep you posted if we do take him to my parents vet.  Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts