Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8 year old female that we rescued when she was under a year. She has always been fine with any dog she meets, young, old, large small, male, female. Always wants to dance around and play.

Enter the new rescue we got this past Sunday. She is 2-3. As the rescue told us good with other dogs and bonds well with female dogs, we agreed to take her. We got home and had the dogs meet, leashed in the backyard. Our first girl was happy, excited, tail wagging and bouncy. The new girl went rigid, growling, up on her back legs pawing at our first girl. We seperated them, walked around a bit and tried it again. Same thing.

Since then we have kept them fairly seperated. We have walked them, not next to each other. Some interactions have been ok and some have most def been not ok. We will keep one crated while the other is out. Our first girl will go out and pee in the same spots the rescue goes. The rescue peed on me last night.

When we took them for a walk, we encountered 2 seperate dogs on the trail. The rescue wanted to attack them both, didn't matter size or sex. Infact, she is so strong that I gave the lead to my husband because I wouldn't have been able to hold on.

All that is so discouraging. She is beyond sweet with us and adores our kids too. She's not been good with the cats and is showing signs of developing seperation anxiety.

I have no idea of her history. I know it's not been very long, but I feel hopeless that this girl will fit in with what we need. I don't know if it's realistic to expect this girl to be able to go camping with us and not want to attack every dog we see. Hell, I don't even know it's going to work out between her and my first girl.

What do we do? I feel aweful even thinking about giving her back to the rescue. But on the other hand is it fair to her to expect something thats not realistic? I know rescues come with issues and we can deal with a lot of those issues. But not sure this is something we can handle.

Advice? Pointers? Tough love advice? Lol.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm surprised a rescue would adopt out a female into a home that already owns a female boxer.from my understanding, female boxers kept in pairs can develop problems..in your case you might be already be seeing those problem?? I'm hoping someone with experience will chime in..
I wish you the best in whatever decision you make, don't beat yourself up if things don't work out though...

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
There is something called "leash or barrier reactive" (both mine have that) where a dog will be on the offensive because they are restrained and feel like they won't be able to get away if they need to.
My two are fine with all other dogs so long as they are loose (in a fenced area of course) but are absolute maniacs when on leashes. They are okay leashed if they see a dog that have previously been loose with.
Contact the rescue and ask if they noticed if she was fine when loose and different when leashed.

I don't want to tell you you to see how they are loose together in case something happens, but when I have introduced new dogs - I have done it loose but with leashes attached and dragging in case a separation is necessary.

Good luck - I too am surprised a rescue would adopt a female out to a home that already has a female.

:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with what was mentioned above. Your dog may be reactive as opposed to aggressive. Maybe things are going too fast for your new rescue. When I brought my dog home it was to a home with cats and i kept them separated, let them see each other at a distance and smell each other and smell each others stuff (like blankets) and it was quite a few weeks before they were integrated. I am sure it is different when introducing dogs but maybe going slower would help? At least you resident dog seems happy about the new addition.

When walking the new dog you could increase the distance between you and the other dogs you pass by. At some distance your dog will(hopefully) stop acting like a nut...then you basically know that is the distance you need to be from other dogs when on walks.
My rescue asks like this...I do not allow her to meet other dogs when we are on leashed walks and it is stressful for me to let her meet a new dog unleashed even though she usually does fine.
Is it possible you could get a professional to help? maybe the rescue can refer you to someone affiliated with them.
I have also heard that two females do not always mix well but I have no experience with this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I actually have my folks coming down who have been in dog rescue for yearrs to take a look at her today and help with some more dog/dog interactions.

I hate that this is so hard. How are we going to do all the things we do with a reactive dog. Our resident boxer goes everywhere with us, hiking, camping, backpacking, fishing, parties, group dog runs off lead, etc... I don't want a dog that cant mess and do all of those things. If the new girl is so reactive and aggressive on the trail now, will she always be that way? I;ve read that with insecure dogs will always react the way they first learned.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
You may as well forget the rescue you got her from as any source of "useful" information with this behavior! A "competent" rescue would never have placed a second female Boxer in a home that already has a Boxer! It's pretty much that simple!

Right now you don't want anymore bad encounters. The new dog can easily screw up your current dog! So let's not let that happen!

Pit Bull Rescue Central

And if they have to be together I would recommend the use of a Boxer specific muzzle, it helps the dog and you to "relax."

Needless to say for the time being "this" dog will always need to be on leash for the next few weeks at least! And I'm pretty sure when she reacts badly you find yourself at a loss?? And use a "Drag Leash" in the house (a short leash" with no handle to get caught up on furniture.

Not that hard to deal with "now" you just need the right tool! No touch, No talk, No eye contact ...use this:

Pet Convincer.com

And if your tempted to use a "harness" or a "head halter" with this dog, I would think it would go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiDe0GNnLQ

You'll notice Sean had no "real" issue with that crap on the dog's nose and yes he could do the something with a EZ walk harness! If you "understand how to properly walk a dog you can use whatever you want, I made a makeshift Slip Lead Leash out of a jump rope once to corral a stray. No problem.:)

But note "that" dog biting the crap out of his owner!

Use a proper tool see here:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

One on one walks with you and this dog are "extremely" important! That is how you can build a bond with this dog! And no Dog Parks and no I thought my dog was friendly people!

So ...now I'm going to link you to GSDFroum and you'll find links that that ...come back here! Kinda my thing.

There is also a link to "I just got a rescue what do I do??" Most likely you did none of that??

These are things I would do in such a situation. So yes it's a lot and pretty sure it's not what you signed up for?? Yep I do believe the dog can change but a lot of effort on your part will be required!

If it's to much no harm in finding her a more suitable home. Personally unless you signed a contract I would find a different rescue to take her to! One with "standards of behavior!" You can offer to foster in place until they can find a more suitable home or new owner! But be aware that if you don't return her to the original rescue ... you will be "Black Balled!"

And finally I'll add that you should PM "bte" as she is a "Pro" and I do believe she has "experience" with the female v female thing?? Be sure and let them know Chip sent you. :)

Hmmm ... in any case Welcome aboard! Sorry it's a bumpy road this time!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! We are using a martingale on her now and she doesn't pull until she sees a strange dog. Hence for now, we are walking where there are no dogs. We just got an etrainer and so far so good with tone only. We are also getting better with recognizing boxer 1's behavior. I like the Pet Convincer and will get one if need be.

I'm feeling more optimistic today. Tomorrow's walk will have the possibility of canine encounter, lol.

She's a work in progress. I feel she was attacked in her foster home and that tripped a trigger so to speak. We need to give her a couple more weeks atleast to let her calm down and get used to who we are and what we expect from her. She's so sweet with us, so I want to give her the best chance of success here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts