Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be my first training/behavioural thread since being on this forum lol it was due time being I now have two butt heads.

I never had an issue with Duke counter surfing... he did have a garbage phase but thankfully he quickly learned that wasn't a welcomed behaviour.

Lily my new girl is a habitual counter surfer and garbage digger. She is always in her crate when we leave for work due to her destructive habits.. when we got lily she was skin and bones I've noticed ever since having her food is an issue she can't seem to get enough of it no matter what the cost.. meanwhile she is up to a very good weight and she is fed a good diet, makes me think she sees food as being her last meal because frankly I think she was starved.

Anyways... I've tried to set her up because mostly she counter surfs when we are out of eye sight..I'll hide and put something of quality out and then when she snoops she gets a very loud no... nothing phases her and she's very good at what she does I cut my finger cutting chicken breast today so I ran into the powder room which is right beside the counter, and she still man aged to gulp down 4 chicken breast.. it drives me nuts. Other than counter surfing and garbage digging she's a great dog... hard headed very hard headed

I need Help!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not sure if this helps because I never had an issue, but from when he was a pup I trained that the kitchen is off limits when food is out and when dinner (or any meal for that matter) is out ,he must be in his bed.

Also trained him that any food in this house is mine, including his, and that its only his when I allow it.

Did this training as a pup on an SLL in the house. Soon as he grasped sit and stay he had to do both those anytime food was out. Once he realized that, I put a rotisserie chicken on the floor and he had to ignore it. Took a few days, but I have never had a food issue. I actually leave his treats where if he wanted he could easily get to them, but never has.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts