Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so idk if dungy is just weird or what, but usually at night i put him to bed and i go back downstairs... no whining... then i go to bed a few hrs later, let him out to go potty and put him back in the cage and go to bed... no whining... BUT, when i try to put him in the cage an i go to bed at the same time, all hell breaks loose, he doesnt whine, he barks and starts tearing up his cage and wont stop... but if i get up let him out and then put him in his cage he calms down.

IDK if this is weird or normal, and idk if i should be getting him out when he is freaking out, but he is soooo loud and ppl are asleep... HELP

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Maybe he just needs to go outside again.  If you usually let him out once after you put him in the crate for the night maybe thats what he is used to.  If you say he is fine once you let him out and put him back into his crate, that may be what it is.  Maybe if you guys plan to go to bed at the same time just take him up like 15 to 20 mins before you go to bed, then let him out once more, see if that helps.  

Im not completely sure because Duke sleeps with us at night, I don't know how seeing he is now about 70lbs and a bed hog but he still does.  We only crate our dogs when we are not home.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not a bad idea... i let him out last night and he jumped on my bed and i would have let him sleep in it if he wanted but he wanted to run around and stuff... he will not lay in my bed :( I hope when he gets older he will sleep in it

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers are very routine/schedule oreintated so it could just be that Dungy expects you take him out as you normally do...When you upset the routine, believe me, they do notice....Noone ever said they werre dumb  :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
isn't it funny how they have to be put to bed? Typically in the evening, they doze on the couch with us until we go to bed, or they doze on their bed in the kitchen if we are working in there or have company...but good grief, if my Abby can't get to a cozy spot to sleep by  9 p.m., she starts goiing nuts...she will sit by the doorway to the kitchen and just crryyy until I let her on the couch and wrap her up in a blanket...so silly.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Once Duke is alseep, it doesn't matter where, he doesn't like to be woke up. He played in the snow all day yesterday, so when I was ready to settle down and watch tv he came with me.  I cuddled him up in the blankets, when my shows were over I wanted to go lay on the couch with Adam.  I made the mistake of making Duke come with me, he sat on the floor by the couch and looked at me like seriously I was cozy.  So I layed on the floor with him.  He is so spoiled.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I agree 100% on the fact Boxers are very routine oriented! I know this sounds CRAZY, but when we got Harley, I thought it was cute to rock him to sleep. Well, To this day he expects to be rocked to sleep. I put pics up rocking him to sleep. I don't know how in the world I will keep it up when he gets bigger!!! But if he doesn't get rocked to sleep he goes to the couch and woo-woo's until I pick him up!!!! He has to have his blankie too! I never thought I'd be so crazy over a dog, but Boxers have a way of wrapping you around their little paws!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would really like to see pictures of you rocking an 70 to 80 lb boxer :)  Duke is about 70lb at 11 months and I can't imagine picking him up like that and rocking him.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
who would of thought me going to bed at the same time as him would mess everything up lol... I was tired and he was falling asleep on the couch so I thought hey lets go at the same time.... WRONG lol... looks like he will be going to bed 20 min b4 i do every night.... gotta keep my baby happy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts