Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a crate for my puppy, he will be 7 weeks old when I get him. I am only interested in the use of the crate for potty training because it worked so well with my other Boxer. What would be the recommended crate size to get for him?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have a 42" midwest crate. I used it for 2 1/2 years until he was past all the chewing phases. We still sometimes use it just to keep him trained to crate in case of emergency, and is 3 now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our puppy trainer says that a dog should be just able to stand up and turn around in their crate - no bigger. While this seems a bit cruel we roughly followed this guideline and was amazed how quickly our boxer became house trained. The first two nights we allowed her out of the crate with human company and we literally swam through the room the next morning, from then we put her in her smallish crate at night and she never had an accident at night, so she was completely dry from night 3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our puppy trainer says that a dog should be just able to stand up and turn around in their crate - no bigger. While this seems a bit cruel we roughly followed this guideline and was amazed how quickly our boxer became house trained. The first two nights we allowed her out of the crate with human company and we literally swam through the room the next morning, from then we put her in her smallish crate at night and she never had an accident at night, so she was completely dry from night 3.

Wow! My baby still pees in his kennel at night. He's in a small kennel. I know his bladder is very small but I don't remember my last boxer doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
How often to you take him out to potty. Mine never peed in his crate.

He is out all day for the most part. But at night he's in there from 10-11pm till about 5ish. He pees a freaking lot! All day long. Pees outside then pees again when he comes in sometimes pees again.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If he is out all day he is technically not being crate trained and not learning to hold his pee . I'd start over and keep a schedule. ie. 6am out to potty, come in eat play a bit not long as in 20 min he she need to go again, and then back in crate. Then repeat this every hour minus the meal. Noon..meal repeat, 6 pm meal repeat. Of course in-between have your playtime and cuddle time but then always back outside to potty then back in crate. Week two add a half hour to the crate time I would be taking him out every hour 1/2 to 2 hours. At night get up once. Use a divider in the crate so he has just enough room to lie down comfortably. Gradually you an add more time in-between outings to potty when you see he can hold it longer. I did not have water in the crate so he got to drink when he was out. Its a ton of work that first week or two but by week three you will see a big difference. Oh and I always used a color and leash when I took mine out to his potty spot, I just picked him up carried him out and walk in a bi circle until he went. He associated pretty quick thet the collar & leach meant he was suppose to potty. We did not play outside until much later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If he is out all day he is technically not being crate trained and not learning to hold his pee . I'd start over and keep a schedule. ie. 6am out to potty, come in eat play a bit not long as in 20 min he she need to go again, and then back in crate. Then repeat this every hour minus the meal. Noon..meal repeat, 6 pm meal repeat. Of course in-between have your playtime and cuddle time but then always back outside to potty then back in crate. Week two add a half hour to the crate time I would be taking him out every hour 1/2 to 2 hours. At night get up once. Use a divider in the crate so he has just enough room to lie down comfortably. Gradually you an add more time in-between outings to potty when you see he can hold it longer. I did not have water in the crate so he got to drink when he was out. Its a ton of work that first week or two but by week three you will see a big difference. Oh and I always used a color and leash when I took mine out to his potty spot, I just picked him up carried him out and walk in a bi circle until he went. He associated pretty quick thet the collar & leach meant he was suppose to potty. We did not play outside until much later.

Wow I guess I never truly trained a dog properly. This is very eye opening. He is in his kennel during the day Monday through Friday while we are at work but on the weekend we really didn't put him in there unless we had to do stuff or we left. Thanks so much for the advice. We started over again ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
You want an adult crate with an adjustable divider
Back on topic, can you explain further please. I too am unsure of the size to get. looking for how big they are at 4 months.
I will be trying the crate training for our new puppy, but have no plans to crate more than a couple months.
our adult boy never saw a crate when we got him as a 3 year old rescue. He slept where he wanted except in our bed. yes accidents happened once every 3-4 months. they were accidents, he always went out as needed and let us know.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I used a 42 inch midwest crate, with a diver that I adjusted as the puppy grew, giving him enough room to stand, turn and lie down. You will most likely use the crate for up to 2 years but mostly when you have to leave the house and he is unsupervised otherwise you may be looking t new furniture and minding. Plus it will keep him safe from chewing on things he shouldn't. My guy is 3 now and we really topped using it just a few months back as he is totally trustworthy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts