Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mya is at it again. She has done amazing the past couple of months in her crate while I am gone. Until Saturday. Saturday afternoon I came home (I was only gone about 3 hours) and Mya had torn the door of her crate up. She has a wire crate and did the same thing to her old one.

She does get plenty of exercise (she is able to run for hours at my parents house and she goes on daily walks), she has two kong toys both with peanut butter in them. She gets a treat every time she gets in her crate and lays down. I have put her in the crate while I am home for about 20-30 minutes at a time while I clean or shower, etc (not always, just sometimes) to show her that the crate is not only for when I am gone. I have given her bones and things that she loves after she has laid down in the crate with the door open and she will not even acknowledge them if they are near the crate. I have tried feeding her in the crate, but because the food is in the crate she will not touch it.

The biggest problem and the one that worries me the most is if/when she gets out of the crate. Her crate is currently in the laundry room because it is the only room in the house that doesn't have anything relatively expensive to replace if she were to chew it and it is the safest room in the house if she were to get out. Mya is extremely destructive when left alone. When I am home she does not chew on anything that she is not allowed to and she is very calm. The two times she has gotten out of her crate she has chewed up a cardboard box, chewed on the door trying to get out of the laundry room, chewed the trim off the door, and ripped the curtains and screen out of the window.

I have recently bought my first home and since then I have been a bit more on a budget. I have thought about enrolling her in doggy daycare in the town that I work in and have heard from other members here on the forum that it is very beneficial for the dog, but at this time I cannot afford to do that unfortunately. She is trained and knows sit, stay, come, heel, leave it, lay down, and shake. I am out of ideas to keep her calm during the day when I am gone. I am the only one in my household so having someone else there during the day unfortunately is not an option either. :chair:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wow, worse than Zoe! Zoe has this thing about closed doors. Have you considered a cargo quality crate? Probably more expensive than what you can buy at pet stores, but considerably less than daycare. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I think Mya is having separation anxiety; have you tried crating her when you are at home? Doing this when you are home and only letting her out when she is 'quiet' Offer treats going in and let her see you, leave the room, come back to the room but don't acknowledge her while you are doing this exercise, doing this while you are home will help her realize you will be back to let her out - it is a process. Any family or neighbours who can let her out during the day if you can't do daycare.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My sister has an APBT that has separation anxiety as well as she hates to be confined. When left in the crate she tore up her blanket, the plastic base and then the carpet under her crate. When she gets out of her crate she will tear up the carpet by the door and chew on the door. Amazingly though if she is left in the house without the door shut she generally does great. But occasionally finds something to tare up. She is 9 year old now so quite a bit calmer but on most days if they are going to be gone for an extended period she makes sure to take her on a long walk/ jog and works on obedience training. I know your girl gets lots of exercise but have you tried exercising her both physically and mentally right before you leave? And you may want to look into ways of improving her separation anxiety. Good luck and keep us updated on what works

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, worse than Zoe! Zoe has this thing about closed doors. Have you considered a cargo quality crate? Probably more expensive than what you can buy at pet stores, but considerably less than daycare. Good luck!!
She is the perfect dog when I am home with her. Calm, only chews on her toys, doesn't mess with the trash, cat food etc, but when I am gone she turns into a totally different dog. And she does this howling thing where it sounds like she is being beaten off and on. I have looked into the cargo crates and my dad actually told me he could make one for me, but it will be a few more months so hoping he can get to that soon. Until then we have what is already there and she is quickly working on that lol.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Mya is having separation anxiety; have you tried crating her when you are at home? Doing this when you are home and only letting her out when she is 'quiet' Offer treats going in and let her see you, leave the room, come back to the room but don't acknowledge her while you are doing this exercise, doing this while you are home will help her realize you will be back to let her out - it is a process. Any family or neighbours who can let her out during the day if you can't do daycare.
I am currently trying to get together with my mom and sisters to see when, if at all, they would be able to help me out. My dad works out of town and my sisters are teenagers in high school in every sport and extra curricular imaginable so its hard trying to get someone over there. Other than that the friends that I trust with her are currently on the same shift as I am so as of right now I don't really have anyone that is able to check on her during the day. Would it be unsafe to get some kind of muzzle to leave on her during the day while I am gone so that she is able to be left out?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sister has an APBT that has separation anxiety as well as she hates to be confined. When left in the crate she tore up her blanket, the plastic base and then the carpet under her crate. When she gets out of her crate she will tear up the carpet by the door and chew on the door. Amazingly though if she is left in the house without the door shut she generally does great. But occasionally finds something to tare up. She is 9 year old now so quite a bit calmer but on most days if they are going to be gone for an extended period she makes sure to take her on a long walk/ jog and works on obedience training. I know your girl gets lots of exercise but have you tried exercising her both physically and mentally right before you leave? And you may want to look into ways of improving her separation anxiety. Good luck and keep us updated on what works
I have been thinking that it is more separation anxiety, but I have never experienced it with any of my dogs in the past. I've been considering leaving her out, but I am nervous for both her and me. I have tried doing this one other time and she chewed up the arm of the couch. I don't want her to get into something that could hurt her or have to continuously replace things that are expensive (like the couch or doors lol). I have tried exercising her right before I leave for work and it made no difference. That was the first time she got out and chewed the door. I have not tried both physical and mental right before I leave so I will have to try that, thank you for the suggestion! I found another daycare online today with very good reviews so I am going to make a call today and see if it would be something I could do just a few times a week. She has been like this since the day I got her at around 3 months old. Before me she didn't have a great life and was tossed around from person to person with no real permanent home until she came to me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also thought about trying a plastic crate instead of the wire, but not sure how well the door part will hold up to her pushing on it since the door just pops into the plastic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few suggestion
Leave a piece of clothing that smells like you in the create
Warm water bottle, not sure how old is she but it works for a few weeks old pups when you bring them home
Keep the create in an open space not a small room(you should try it first: put a webcam, go outside of your house and watch her, this way if she gets out and starts getting into trouble you can go in and stop it
Put a TV or radio on for some noise
Where does she sleeps at night?
If she sleeps in your bedroom, make her sleep in the create in the room

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Jackson also cannot be contained in a wire crate. He broke the welds on the one we bought when we first adopted him, after I'd bought snaps to secure the door all the way around (9 snaps; 3 on each side of the door). I bought him an airline crate that had good recommendations for hard-to-crate dogs, and so far, so good. He has been chewing on the plastic above and below the crate door, but he hasn't been able to break the door on this particular crate. He's been getting better lately, and he loves getting his frozen Kongs smeared around the inside with peanut butter. I also feed him in his crate twice a day to make it a positive place to be. I started out with the door open, but now, I can close the door while he eats, and he's fine. Here's a link to the one I got from Chewy.com: Petmate Sky Kennel, Large
I got the size extra large, to give Jackson plenty of room inside.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few suggestion
Leave a piece of clothing that smells like you in the create
Warm water bottle, not sure how old is she but it works for a few weeks old pups when you bring them home
Keep the create in an open space not a small room(you should try it first: put a webcam, go outside of your house and watch her, this way if she gets out and starts getting into trouble you can go in and stop it
Put a TV or radio on for some noise
Where does she sleeps at night?
If she sleeps in your bedroom, make her sleep in the create in the room
She does have an old shirt of mine, but she usually buries it with her blankets and then lays down. She's almost 3 years old so I'm not sure if the warm water bottle would work or not? I was considering putting the crate in my bedroom instead of in the laundry room, but didn't know if it would be a good idea. I'll have to try that this weekend when I am home. She usually sleeps with me because I feel bad putting her in there during the day when I'm working and then making her go in again all night to sleep. I just feel like that's too much crate time, but I may have to try it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jackson also cannot be contained in a wire crate. He broke the welds on the one we bought when we first adopted him, after I'd bought snaps to secure the door all the way around (9 snaps; 3 on each side of the door). I bought him an airline crate that had good recommendations for hard-to-crate dogs, and so far, so good. He has been chewing on the plastic above and below the crate door, but he hasn't been able to break the door on this particular crate. He's been getting better lately, and he loves getting his frozen Kongs smeared around the inside with peanut butter. I also feed him in his crate twice a day to make it a positive place to be. I started out with the door open, but now, I can close the door while he eats, and he's fine. Here's a link to the one I got from Chewy.com: Petmate Sky Kennel, Large
I got the size extra large, to give Jackson plenty of room inside.
I will definitely have to look into that, thank you! Mya literally chews on the crate until the piece she is chewing on breaks off until she has a hole big enough to squeeze through and then she starts on the laundry room door and whatever else happens to be in the room.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thought that I had, but didn't know if it would be safe, is to place a muzzle on her so that she is still able to drink and eat and leave her out of the crate when I am gone with limited access to different rooms in the house. Like I said, not sure if that is safe so any opinions or thoughts on that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Another thought that I had, but didn't know if it would be safe, is to place a muzzle on her so that she is still able to drink and eat and leave her out of the crate when I am gone with limited access to different rooms in the house. Like I said, not sure if that is safe so any opinions or thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Muzzles are only to be worn under total supervision, it's not safe to leave them alone with one on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, that was my thought, but wasn't entirely sure. Never used one myself before or known anyone that has used one. Thank you!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was told that the plastic crates are safest. But, my girl almost chewed herself out of hers... And her separation anxiety didn't get better till I got the metal crates that look like a wire cage. Once she was in this, she calmed down a lot. Just make sure the gaps between the wire isn't big enough for the paws to get through and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was told that the plastic crates are safest. But, my girl almost chewed herself out of hers... And her separation anxiety didn't get better till I got the metal crates that look like a wire cage. Once she was in this, she calmed down a lot. Just make sure the gaps between the wire isn't big enough for the paws to get through and you shouldn't have a problem.
Will do. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts