Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought Baz was perfectly crate trained, it's a pain to get him in the crate but it always seemed that he would be quite and polite once in there after we left.  However, today I put him in the crate and left and he was quite and everything I went to my car and realized I forgot something so I went back and he was crying so so so loud.  I was at my car for easily 2-4 minutes.  What's the best way to train him out of this crying once we leave?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
can you leave the tv on? and cover the crate? we cover Isis's crate always have..seems to make her feel comfy..it stoppped the woofing at 3 am lol..

maybe right before you leave...let him run around like crazy? kong with peanut butter IN the crate with him?

im sure alot of people can help..alot have been through it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I completely agree w/above- and remember he just may need time to get used to it, my boxer was fine but my sisters dog would cry and cry to try and get attention. We could hear him from outside, it was hard but they have to learn. He's was fine after a couple weeks and his crying time slowly lessened as those weeks passed. In the beginning we made the mistake of petting him if we went back in to make him feel better. Once we stopped doing that he was infinately better. (He was a nightmare to crate train!) Also maybe put something in the crate that smells like you- old sweater, blanket etc. Covering the crate seemed to help the best though- that nice den feeling!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definantly try all of those things! I think he just has anxiety when we leave because we take him with us all the places we can.  I work at Doggy daycare and he comes with me when I work so I'm wondering if he feels like he's going to miss out on all the fun or something.  I'll see what I can work out.  I'll try to leave the TV on for him.  That might be helpful.  I just got a kong so I'll put peanut butter in it for sure, I think he would love that!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh he is definitely upset that he isn't going with you....Don't give in, he needs to learn that it's not always possible to go..I'm dealing with that with my 2..Samson especially was spoiled rotten, I took him everywhere with me, now, he really gets bent out of shape when he gets left behind, but they get over it...Also maybe leave a radio on for him?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts