Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. My husband and I have a new boxer puppy. Her name is Tawny and she is 10 weeks. She is a cuddle bug and doesn't like to be alone. So of course when I put her in her crate she goes histerical. Non stop crying and screaming like someone is pulling her legs off. I have treated her with hot dogs when she goes in, I have sat next to the crate, I have walked away from the crate, I have left the house, I have left her in for a few minutes, I have left her in for a couple hours.I don't force her in. She will enter on her own for the hot dogs.  I have tried everything I have read on the internet and nothing is working. I have been sleeping with her since I can't listen to it all night since I already listen to the screaming during the day. I'm sorry to say I did try the bark collar once and the was very sad. They say they get the hang of it with the bark collar but I don't think I could do that again. Can anybody help me??? We will all be happier if we can figure this out. I have had her for a couple weeks and it seems like she should be comfortable in her "den" by now. Heeeelp!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
thats funny, like someone is pulling their legs off! !LOL!  thats exaclty how they react....

shes still really really young... i suggest you not expect too much from her just yet.  boxers in general dont like being alone...  As long as you keep strong and keep training her the right way, im sure she will eventually be ok with it... it may take some time though!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is the door open or closed when you are in the house?  Try putting a chewy in there with her (bully stick, treat, kong, etc.) and leave the door open while you sit with her.  Eventually try closing the door (with treat) and being in the same room and then you can work up to door closed and leaving room.  It will take time and patience.  Before you know it she will be fine with it and you will be joking about it.  :)

I also used a sound machine or radio on low with mine.  They just need some noise to keep them quiet.  Our sound machine had a heartbeat on it that worked real well.  We also used a used (dirty) shirt of my daughter's for them to lay on in the crate to give them the smell of one of us with them.

Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We crate trained Charlie from day 1.  At first he would wimper but the best thing you can do is ignore them.  If you run to them, they've won!  I would usually put a kong with peanut butter in his crate and either turn the tv on or the radio.  Maybe try buying a kong, I'm sure she'll come around with a little time!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
As jeep said... ignoring them when they cry is so important... i know it sucks and its sad, and sometimes annoying to listen to, but if you keep running and opening the door then it doesnt matter how long you crate train them for they will never be ok in it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I have a 12 week old little girl. When I brought her home the breeder suggeted sleeping with her for 3-4 weeks so she would learn to trust me and develop a relationship. I did not do that becuase of my prior experiences with Boxers, I have gone through exactly what you are explaining.

I crated her from day one, and it is easier than I thought. However, I do have to work extra hard to accomplish this. Some things I do that may help.

I put her to sleep in the living room or on our bed, until she is good and sleeping. Then I quietly and carefully take her to her crate and put her in, close the door, and lay next to the crate, very close, and if she wakes, I just close my eyes pretend to be sleeping, and breathe loud enough for her to hear me, provides some comfort.

The crate at start was confined (sectioned) to be very small, so as she wouldnt pee. She only has once. As she has grown, (like a moose) we have extended her range to the entire 36" cage. I have it loaded, one pillow, 3 blankets, super cushy and comfy.

All sides and top are covered with a blanket, so it is dark and safe feeling, only the front door, or side door is not covered. We put toys inside for her. I don't really use treats with my pup, she had a battle with some stomach problems so just been training on praise and it has worked great.

I will lay with her until she is sleeping. If she wines, I will try laying her on the floor with me (I have a blanket and a pillow at all times setup next to the crate door, because if I have to take her out in the middle of the night, I will lay down for 5 minutes until she is sleeping again) and cuddle her until she is sleeping, then put her slowly in the cage.

In the morning, she will wake, give a little wimper, like "I have to pee now" and I taker her out. Then she eats, and goes back to her cage while I shower and get ready for work. She cries then, becuase she is full of energy! I noticed I just let her cry and she will stop after 5 minutes or so.

Worst to reward them or train them to think their obscene crying is going to result in getting out of the cage, let her tired herself out, she will stop.

Never use the cage as a means of punishment. Our pup loves to sleep with us and likewise, but it is so important in the begining to establish these boundries and rules.

Another thing is we play Cali hard all day. She is never alone, ans shel plays very very hard. She was brought home to our house where we have no dogs or other animals, and my Mom brought two of her sisters to her house. So we take all 3 to work m-f and they play like crazy. If Cali plays hard, and we try and not let her take afternoon naps, then she will tired and sleep good at night.

I hope this helps, just things I do and they do work. Cali is now sleeping through the night, no midnight potty sessions, and doing great in her cage!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah... Odin was JUST LIKE THAT!! JUST LIKE THAT! It's horrible I know but it does get better... he finally went to crying for only 10 or so mins, instead of ALL night like he use to. I don't know how he is right now... since we've had his ears done I have him sleep with us so I can keep an eye/ear on him.

It'll get better... good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your tips. I will just keep at what I've been doing. I do give Tawny toys, a filled kong and a bully to play with while she's in there. She is not interested as long as the door is closed. I have tried putting her in when she is already asleep and she wakes when the door closes and starts screaming. I have been sleeping in our guest room with her at night and would love to sleep with my husband again! Unfortunately she can't sleep in our bed because we have a timid cat who sleeps there and an 8 year old dog that was never aloud to sleep on the bed. We have to be fair to her....although she has been sleeping in bed with Tawny and me in the guest room!!
I might try laying next to the crate as Hightechboxer suggested and see if that works. Other than that, I will keep putting her in and see if she catches on one day.
Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't crate Diesel. I work days, and my husband works nights, so it's very very rare that he's ever left alone. We do have a crate we would use for that occasion, and he doesn't mind hanging out in it. But at night, he sleeps on the couch with me, then at 2am when my husband gets home, and I wake up, diesel sleeps on the couch with my husband. lol

We're a bit strange around here, but it works for us. This way, there's always someone home watching our daughter, and the dogs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum...Glad you joined us and hopefully you will get some very good advice here....Crating a boxer is tough cos they soo want to be with their "humans"...I use to leave a radio on low, to a jazz station or the tv to Animal Planet...Putting an old shirt in the crate is a very good idea..Your scent is all over that and Tawny can smell that...Lord they do make a lot of noise tho when they start that whining huh?

She will catch on, sometimes it just takes a wee bit of time...Boxers, even puppies are very tuned to our emotions, so if she senses your frustration about all of this, believe me, she will play to that....No body said they were dummies....Good luck and keep us posted on how she does.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts