Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am getting afraid that I may have rushed Jetta with the crate.  The first day, we put her in a few minutes at a time and gave her treats and stuff, and she didn't like it, and cried a lot of the night until we waited until she calmed down and eventually put her in our bed...the next night she cried when we put her in the crate, we ignored it and she stayed in the crate with 3 potty breaks.  The third day, she did about the same, still cried etc.  The fourth day we both had to work, and she was in the crate for 3.5 hours, my mom came and let her out and then was in the crate for 5 hours.  The fifth day, back to only an hour or two at a time except at night.

She hates the crate, will not go in it unless put in there, and I've been trying to feed her on the other side of the crate which is partitioned to get her used to it.  I give her treats, and often will pet her until she lays down and goes to sleep.  She cries for 10-15 minutes when we put her in there...sometimes cried that seem like she is just agonized.  After 10-15 she does settle down though.  I put her in the crate for naps during the day, while we are at work (with a potty/play break from my mom on those 2 days a week)  at night, and while I am at school (those are only small periods, an hour or two at a time three days a week).  We have had her 1.5 weeks...it seems there is very little improvment with the crate, and I want her to like the crate.  My husband is geting fustrated and it's hard dealing with him and the puppy.  

I woud love any suggestions any of you might have to help Jetta get used to her crate.  I will do anything to get her to like it.

In her crate right now we have a soft bad and 2 towels.  She has 2 stuffed animals and a rope toy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You dont say how old Jetta is, but crate training requires patience and not back sliding...
Feed her in her crate, give her her treats in her crate, do not get her out because she is complaining nor baby her, because then you are rewarding her for crying in her crate.
Do not make a big deal out of letting her out of the crate, just go by and open the door and keep going. Do reward her for going into the crate.
Be consistant, she will give up on the crying and get used to it.
Hang in there..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm gonna talk to you like I talk to my clients and their owners (client = dog)...

Advice from a Professional Dog Trainer:

As Joyce has stated, reward her when she goes into the crate, but STOP coddling her.  DO NOT pet or talk to your pup when she whines. She will see that as a reward for the whining.  DO NOT treat when she whines.  She will see that as a reward for the whining.  When you reward a negative behavior it will continue and over time can increase.

DO NOT make it a big deal when your pup comes out of the crate.  Just put your pup in the crate, treat if necessary, and go about your business.  Ignore your pup unless there is a serious reason not to.

Re-read the crate training stickey.

Be consistent.  Be firm.  Be patient!!!

ALL training takes time and patience.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Great advice Liz.  I wish I could help more, but Tyson has never had a problem when we put him in his crate.  Amazing!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we tried the baby gating off a section of the house for Maverick while we were out to keep him safe but that didnt work because he climbs the baby gates and escapes somehow. Today will be his first time with the crate and i feel your pain. I hate to hear puppies cry but in this case it's for their own good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just worry that I am pushing her too hard and that she will hate the crate forever.  We have tried to make it as comfy as possible and I am going to try the kong/pb thing today, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My advise. Mom and Dad both need to think the crate is the BEST thing in the world, it sounds like right off the bat you are feeling guilty for putting her in there. If you think of it as a safe place for her to be then you will send this energy to her. I can't really speak from expierence because Logan did great right off the bat but this is what I felt/thought. I actually waited for him to fall asleep the first time and picked him up as easily as possible without waking him and put him in his bed in the crate. He woke up in the crate and didn't seem to mind staying there. Maybe that is a good idea. I agree with all to never take her out when crying, it really hurts us but only hurts them in the end. Is the crate in a place where you are visable to him when you are home?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Tough love really is tough, especially when your baby is crying. Until we crated Donner, I personally had never heard a dog SOB as if his heart was breaking. I expected puppy whimpers and yips but nothing like the performance he put on his 2nd night at home 8O  I lay in bed trying not to speak or even acknowledge him until I thought my heart would break.Then, it was just like a switch was flipped - he gave a heavy sigh and went to sleep. It was REALLY hard not to sweet talk him, or comfort him but I had read that any attention just keeps it going and so I toughed it out and it worked!! Hang in there, Jetta will get it figured out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, Sob is correct, wail, cry in misery...but it is turing from 20min- 1 hour cryathons to 10 minutes or so...the Kong thing seemed to help today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts