Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while crate training at night is there any kinda medicine that helps dogs sleep?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Constant crier!??? Odin did that FOREVER... WEEKS WORTH!!! It sounded like there were 3 puppies in the crate!! I'm still not sure how he managed that but SWEAR IT!! I knew of a lady in our obeidence class that would give her great dane benadryl or prozac... something like that... but umm she was crazy and I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!! Her reasons were because he was too hyper and she didn't have time for him... SO FIND HIM A BETTER HOME!!!

LOL SORRY... anyway... umm... not that I know of... we just put Odin as far away from us in the house as we could... cuz' it didn't stop even if he was in the same room!! If it's a puppy you could try an old shirt or something with a watch (that he/she couldn't chew up) so they get a sense of not being lonely. I know you can buy stuffed softies that have the sound of a beating heart. We always just got a stuffed animal and put a watch around it's wrist. That didn't matter with Odin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i dont think id give the puppy medicine because this is something most people go through with their puppies. try sitting with the puppy to make him/her comfy in the crate. Maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanky? Also, id say if you are bringing it into bed with you when it is crying then i would think it would learn that whining means it gets out of its crate and into bed with family.

All the things mastray said will also work. seems she went through it with Odin. he sounds like he was a handful but wow is he a looker

Good luck with the puppy!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
just seems kind of the same to me as teaching a baby to sleep in a crib instead of with you..they cry and get madddddddddd hahaha but they live and get over it..but the screaming will make you looney late night...i know its frustrating but he will get past it..takes some time..alot of people go through it..medication wont take it away..jsut prolong it...and its not good for the pup anyway

try the old shirt ..make it super comfy..a stuffed animal? soothing music..try everything..something will work..promise

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LOL Just so we are clear on my post... which I don't think anyone thinks otherwise... BUT INCASE... I'm NOT AT ALL SUGGESTING MEDS!!!! I was just venting about how psycho that woman was!! AND HOW CRUEL I THINK IT IS!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am assuming we are talking about a puppy here? Read the Sticky in the General Boxer section regarding crate training for some great tips....If it;'s an all wire crate, you might also want to lay a sheet over a couple sides and make it more enclosed, Might make your pup feel safer

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Whiskey on the gums?   lol......just kidding!

Let the puppy bark and you take the sleeping pills   :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts