Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this im probably bating a dead horse, but how do you guys train your boxers in the crate? i cant get butters to shut up when he's in the crate. is starting to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some dogs take better to their crate than others. With Sophie we started to crate training her basically immediatly. We put the crate in the living room with us and had it all set up by the time we brought her home. We made sure to make the crate comfy and put the divider in it so that she had enough space to turn, lay, and stand. For the first few weeks we also put her food and water right next to the crate. The first day we had her, she went in there all by herself when she was sleepy, which is exactly what we hoped for - we wanted her to view her crate as "her" safe space. We also would keep her in there for a few hours at a time while we were home, just so that she could get used to our work routine and we could monitor how she acts in it. She really only whines for the first few minutes and thats it. She sleeps there though the night with no problem. We also have 2 "crate safe" toys that Sophie ONLY gets in her crate so she gets excited to go in there.

There are tons of crate training books out there that can probably explain the methods wayyyy better than me. I recommend that you try training him with treats to go into his crate. Once he takes the treat in this cage, close the door. Keep him in there until he stops crying and then open the door and give him another treat. Just don't let him out when he is crying because you will basically be rewarding behavior you don't want. Repeat this for longer and longer intervals.

Also maybe try feeding him his meals in his crate. Hope this was helpful and doesnt sound too confusing! :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ditto on jangel's comments. Don't freak, sometimes it just takes some time. Do you crate him when you leave? Neighbors complain? Chances are he only barks when you're home and he's in the crate...trying to manipulate you : )
One thing that worked for us was a blanket over the crate. It also helped with the excessive drooling when crated. Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try to get him tired before you do that, so he would cry for a few minutes and then go to sleep...
In the very beginning my boyfriend would sleep next to the crate on the floor, so Stanley would be quiet...

How old is Butters? And how long has it been since you've started crating him?

·
Registered
46 Posts
BLANKETS!!!!!!!!!!! also a TV might help so they feel like they are all by their self:chair: and this is what u are going to want to do with the crying, but have patience, it will take time...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Jackyl used to cry a lot when he was first crated, but we gave him toys (nothing shreddable or destuffable) and a treat when we put him in there. After awhile he started getting that it was "his" place. He has towels, blankets, and dog beds in his crate. For awhile we put a blanket over his crate to make it dark and safe feeling for him. We would crate him for an hour at a time, 2-3 times a day while we were home to get him used to it, and over night he got crated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Micky will bark and bark and bark... So I feel your pain. My husband gets mad because he won't stop sometimes, usually when we are both exhausted.

What we found that works is we try to keep him super tired all day long (nice exhausting play at the dog park, followed by various play and train sessions) as well as many walks. If he is tired, it's an easy "fight."

What I found that works, is since he sleeps in the living room, we will be relaxing and if it looks like he is sleeping on the floor or somewhere not the crate, we get him into his crate, and then he will go to sleep quicker. Sometimes he barks, but the instant we leave the room, he is done. I think he wants his privacy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts