Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt is doing pretty good calming down once the door closes on the crate. It only takes about 10 minutes on average now for him to totally quiet down and start either dozing or chewing on a toy. The issue is that he really hates going into the crate on his own. I've tried all kinds of training exercises with him and he hates going into the crate. He'll fearfully climb in to grab any treat and then dart out like he's about to get burnt or the devil himself is after him. Mind, I've never used the crate for punishment. I've never yelled at him near the crate, nothing. Only praise and treats and affection. The fact that the door closes and I leave, though, is why he is so upset by it. I want to train him to go into the crate on his own and settle down, because when he's bigger I won't be able to pick him up and put him in there. I'm trying to avoid picking him up and putting him in there, now, but somehow it seems worse to have him go in there himself and then close the door before he can get out. I've tried having him stay in the crate with the door open. I've tried closing the door for half a second and slowly introducing him to longer periods of time. Once I leave the room, he goes nuts. I've heard "he'll get used to it" but he won't if he won't voluntarily enter the crate. I've watched training videos, read articles online, browsed forums, but it's all the same stuff that just doesn't seem to help him. Should I look into one on one sessions with a professional trainer?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Crate

Good luck with the crate training,,I have nothing to add as Fritz loves his crate..He goes in there , anytime,he wants to ,and anytime I want to ,I just call him while I am standing by it.and he comes and goes right in.He also knows when I shut the back door I am leaving the house ,and he is waiting for me to lock him in and give him a great..He even tells me when I only lock the top latch,as he wants the bottom latch locked also..I never have to tell him to come out,as soon as I unlock him he comes out .But I only unlock him when I am ready for him to come out.He also has the habit of going to his crate when the next door neighbor,comes,as he will not leave her alone,we have tried everything,to keep him off of her ,but so far nothing has worked,,we are still working on it,as he is food moteavided,he my not learn,but we are still trying..Good luck,with this.:happy2::boxr:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input :) He is very people motivated. Food is good but he'll take affection and praise just as easily as food and sometimes he prefers it over food. That's part of the problem, I think. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Kai is crate gained. Anytime I call him to it all I say is bed. He goes in I close the door and he goes to sleep, regardless if I stay at home or leave the house. He is very good about his crate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you for your input :) He is very people motivated. Food is good but he'll take affection and praise just as easily as food and sometimes he prefers it over food. That's part of the problem, I think. Haha.

You can shape a behavior with food, then switch to reward with affection

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Hmm ... Ok ... I gotta ask! Why is it that people seem to think that because people "Crate Train a Dog" if the the "Crate" happens to be open ... there dog is just suppose to go in there???

Perhaps dogs do ... I don't know??? But I do know very "well Crate Trained" dogs and they don't do that! If you want them to "Kennel Up" you tell them to do so. They go in the "Crate" and they settle! "If" I do decide to "Kennel" my next "Boxer/Dog" that will be how it works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmm ... Ok ... I gotta ask! Why is it that people seem to think that because people "Crate Train a Dog" if the the "Crate" happens to be open ... there dog is just suppose to go in there???

Perhaps dogs do ... I don't know??? But I do know very "well Crate Trained" dogs and they don't do that! If you want them to "Kennel Up" you tell them to do so. They go in the "Crate" and they settle! "If" I do decide to "Kennel" my next "Boxer/Dog" that will be how it works.
Well, my current dog (non boxer) uses his crate as a bed. Its his. My boxer was hit or miss. When I took him on trips, he'd use his crate. Home, he'd sleep anywhere.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

This is basically how it is at our house. I actually keep the gate closed as one of us is bound to walk into it. When I want Kai crated I say "bed".He goes in I close gate end of story.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the part I'm having trouble with. He doesn't go into the crate unless I physically push him into it or pick him up and put him into it or I spend 20 minutes coaxing him into it with food.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He won't go in the crate, and he does not settle when I put him in there or coax him in. He wants out of the crate, every time unless it's bedtime. If it's bedtime he walks in there willingly and plops right down and doesn't make a peep until he wakes up in the morning to go outside. If I want to crate him during the day, though, he throws a fit. I've never let him out of the crate while he was crying. I always wait for at least 15 seconds of quiet before going into the room or letting him out of the crate. When he gets out of the crate I all but ignore him until I'm ready to give him attention, usually after we go outside and he goes potty. I'll give him some quiet affection when I need to leave to help him settle but when I leave he gets anxious again. I've been working with him on this since I changed my work schedule at the beginning of the month. He's had little to no improvement even though I work with him every day. I don't know what else to try.

·
Registered
77 Posts
He won't go in the crate, and he does not settle when I put him in there or coax him in. He wants out of the crate, every time unless it's bedtime. If it's bedtime he walks in there willingly and plops right down and doesn't make a peep until he wakes up in the morning to go outside. If I want to crate him during the day, though, he throws a fit. I've never let him out of the crate while he was crying. I always wait for at least 15 seconds of quiet before going into the room or letting him out of the crate. When he gets out of the crate I all but ignore him until I'm ready to give him attention, usually after we go outside and he goes potty. I'll give him some quiet affection when I need to leave to help him settle but when I leave he gets anxious again. I've been working with him on this since I changed my work schedule at the beginning of the month. He's had little to no improvement even though I work with him every day. I don't know what else to try..

There really are two ways to handle this. Use force by putting him in there or start over from the beginning and train the crate. Did you look at the crate games? It really does work. I've seen it with a few dogs. A lot worse than yours.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Good luck with the crate training,,I have nothing to add as Fritz loves his crate..He goes in there , anytime,he wants to ,and anytime I want to ,I just call him while I am standing by it.and he comes and goes right in.He also knows when I shut the back door I am leaving the house ,and he is waiting for me to lock him in and give him a great..He even tells me when I only lock the top latch,as he wants the bottom latch locked also..I never have to tell him to come out,as soon as I unlock him he comes out .But I only unlock him when I am ready for him to come out.He also has the habit of going to his crate when the next door neighbor,comes,as he will not leave her alone,we have tried everything,to keep him off of her ,but so far nothing has worked,,we are still working on it,as he is food moteavided,he my not learn,but we are still trying..Good luck,with this.:happy2::boxr:
Well that is certainly outstanding! And "apparently" it can happen ... but it's not the norm.

I prefer my dogs to go in there "Crate" and settle just like my "Clinics" Little Westie did ... I say "Kennel Up" and in she goes ... no issues. As long as a dog goes in the "Crate" on command ... good enough for me. I can help an owner with that ... but training a dog to "choose" to "Kennel Up" on his own??? I have no idea??

I'm not a big fan of dogs making "independent choices" ... some of them make some pretty "Poor Choices! :)

Not saying ... it can't be done but I will say ... it's not the norm. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not a big fan of dogs making "independent choices" ... some of them make some pretty "Poor Choices! :)
:)
If you give them a chance, they might surprise you. I think there is a thing as overtrained. Take a gsd for example, because you've got one. He was bred to work with a Shepherd dependent upon and independently of. Now if that dog is constantly managed, you end up with a flat dog. I'm sure your dogs have shocked you with independent choices.

I like to allow dogs the opportunity to make decisions that benefit them to an extent. Show some personality. The ones that are overmanaged are called lawn ornaments in the group I'm with. And they aren't a bunch of amateurs.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Oh I don't know??? Allowing dogs the opportunity to make choices that benefit them ... depends on where you start??? When I started from scratch with puppies, that "style" worked out just fine. American Band Dawg, APBT/Boxer and my Boxer. Pretty much no surprises??? They all did as "expected" no big deal. My dogs are "trained" to make "Good Choices" independent of whether "Daddy is on site or not. :)

Case in point ... German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Breed differences in "socialization"

And "Rocky" my "OS WL GSD" had proven under carefully controlled... closely monitored, toddler introduction ... that he clearly ... does not care for toddlers!! That is the dog that a three year old"stumbled onto not "Struddell, not Gunther or Stewie. They would have been inside not out back in "Place." But that being said ... "crap happens" and when "Rocky" was confronted by an unexpected toddler appearance with no "Daddy" in insight to provide instruction??? He did as he was uh "Over Trained to do???" I don't bite people! He made an independent choice and "choose to break place and walk away."

I was "expecting" a "crime seen" when I rushed out back and instead I found a "toddler" standing where "Rocky" was "unharmed" and no "Rocky???" The child approached and "Rocky" "Chose to move away, I train my dogs to "Make Good Choices." If that also happens to describe a "Flat Lawn, Ornament of a dog???" I'm good with that.

And that "unexpected performance" is just "par for the course" him coming to my aid unbid when I was defending him against two charging strays and slipped on the ice, I deterred one but one kept coming!!! I was bracing for impact becasue that dog was not getting past me!!! And "Rocky" did as he was told "Stay" and do nothing! I was expecting a belly full of teeth becasue I was the target now and i was down!!

But you know "Rocky" ... "Daddy Down???" I've not seen that before??? Perhaps I should make my presence known now??? He stepped deftly over me and all I saw was white fangs and heard a loud Roar ... WTH??? That last dog ... rethought his life choices and disappeared??? Only my continued grip on the leash kept that dog out of "Rocky's" fangs!! That's what my "flat lawn ornament, over managed dog" did. So ... I'm good with what I get, and ... back on point ... for me the little Crate Trained "Westie" is my "Gold Standard" she went in her "Crate" when instructed to do so and that is what I will expect.

But dogs choosing freely to go in an open "Crate" just becasue the Crate is there?? I have no idea how that works??? Not saying it can't be done but I have no sources for doing so and to me it's pretty much "irrelevant."

I will say "kennel up" the dog goes in and they don't come out until instructed to do so. Some dogs are good with "flexible rules" hmm dare I say "Boxers." Other dogs ... not so much??? It's "important" for people to understand the difference (flexibility) ... I did not and I paid the price for that lack of understanding. And for the record ... "Da Rulz" need to made "Crystal Clear" for a dog ... if an owner does not establish "Rulzs" ... the dog will.

Now ... all that being said ... if my next "boxer happens to be a "puppy" ... I have no idea if she will be crate trained??? After all she will be "Daddy's" girl. I like to think I offer good advise ... that does not mean I necessarily take it. :chair:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh I don't know??? Allowing dogs the opportunity to make choices that benefit them ... depends on where you start??? When I started from scratch with puppies, that "style" worked out just fine. American Band Dawg, APBT/Boxer and my Boxer. Pretty much no surprises??? They all did as "expected" no big deal. My dogs are "trained" to make "Good Choices" independent of whether "Daddy is on site or not. :)

Case in point ... German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Breed differences in "socialization"

And "Rocky" my "OS WL GSD" had proven under carefully controlled... closely monitored, toddler introduction ... that he clearly ... does not care for toddlers!! That is the dog that a three year old"stumbled onto not "Struddell, not Gunther or Stewie. They would have been inside not out back in "Place." But that being said ... "crap happens" and when "Rocky" was confronted by an unexpected toddler appearance with no "Daddy" in insight to provide instruction??? He did as he was uh "Over Trained to do???" I don't bite people! He made an independent choice and "choose to break place and walk away."

I was "expecting" a "crime seen" when I rushed out back and instead I found a "toddler" standing where "Rocky" was "unharmed" and no "Rocky???" The child approached and "Rocky" "Chose to move away, I train my dogs to "Make Good Choices." If that also happens to describe a "Flat Lawn, Ornament of a dog???" I'm good with that.

And that "unexpected performance" is just "par for the course" him coming to my aid unbid when I was defending him against two charging strays and slipped on the ice, I deterred one but one kept coming!!! I was bracing for impact becasue that dog was not getting past me!!! And "Rocky" did as he was told "Stay" and do nothing! I was expecting a belly full of teeth becasue I was the target now and i was down!!

But you know "Rocky" ... "Daddy Down???" I've not seen that before??? Perhaps I should make my presence known now??? He stepped deftly over me and all I saw was white fangs and heard a loud Roar ... WTH??? That last dog ... rethought his life choices and disappeared??? Only my continued grip on the leash kept that dog out of "Rocky's" fangs!! That's what my "flat lawn ornament, over managed dog" did. So ... I'm good with what I get, and ... back on point ... for me the little Crate Trained "Westie" is my "Gold Standard" she went in her "Crate" when instructed to do so and that is what I will expect.

But dogs choosing freely to go in an open "Crate" just becasue the Crate is there?? I have no idea how that works??? Not saying it can't be done but I have no sources for doing so and to me it's pretty much "irrelevant."

I will say "kennel up" the dog goes in and they don't come out until instructed to do so. Some dogs are good with "flexible rules" hmm dare I say "Boxers." Other dogs ... not so much??? It's "important" for people to understand the difference (flexibility) ... I did not and I paid the price for that lack of understanding. And for the record ... "Da Rulz" need to made "Crystal Clear" for a dog ... if an owner does not establish "Rulzs" ... the dog will.

Now ... all that being said ... if my next "boxer happens to be a "puppy" ... I have no idea if she will be crate trained??? After all she will be "Daddy's" girl. I like to think I offer good advise ... that does not mean I necessarily take it. :chair:
Exactly what I mean. Now think. If he was a dog that would not break place to save his life, that child would be hurt.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Exactly what I mean. Now think. If he was a dog that would not break place to save his life, that child would be hurt.
Well I don't know??? On the one hand you say "over trained" "flat" and "lawn ornament" and that is about dogs that just don't happen to go into a "Crate" just becasue it's there???

I say as long as a dog goes in the "Crate" when one says "Kennel Up" ... good enough. By your definition ... I think?? Rocky would be "overtrained??"

I don't know, but what I often say is "the best preparation for the unexpected is a well trained dog." "Rocky" knows place ...he also understands ... I don't bite strangers, I showed him what I wanted and if I stop and talk to someone and he is off leash he will either stay where he is or walk five feet away and lay down and wait. His call I don't say a word.

He will also do a two hour in "Place Stay" but I don't consider him "Flat, Lawn ornament or over trained???" I consider him a dog that "makes good choices."

He looks to "Daddy" first and if there is no "Daddy" ... what to do???

So the unexpected "toddle" appearance??? I was stunned/relived when I found the child unharmed?? And I found "Rocky" about fifteen feet away???

I'd not trained that?? It was his call and he knew ... "don't bite" and if I stropped and talked to someone he would step away and wait. That is how he was trained. I just don't put "toddlers" out there with a "known toddler hostile" dog to do a "proof of concept" thing??? It was an "independent call on his part.But he did fine in a crap happens situation. I guess ... I just take "exception to the terms ... "over trained" "flat" and "lawn ornament."

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wonder if something other then the crate scares them sometimes. A loud noise outside, or near the crate might bring on anxiety if it happens when we're gone. You could try moving the crate location. I used to put the TV on the opera channel when I was gone. Worked fairly well with a previous dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alaska can you let us know what methods you have tried? How old is he?

With my rescues I always leave the door open and play with them throwing the toy in the crate so they have to retrieve it. Doing this many times so they get used to going in and out. Since you dog is food motivated you could throw small treats in the crate. When you are closing the door are you speaking to your dog? As in, you are ok, just for a little bit? Anything other than get in your crate? or bed or whatever word you want to use? Then when you open the crate there should be no talking you just walk over open the crate and walk away. No talking or affection, otherwise there can be an emotional anxiety that is created. I would also feed your dog in the crate. They learn quickly if they want to eat they go in the crate. Also you can get a toy or a kong with peanut butter that he only gets when going in the crate. (If you freeze the kong with the peanut butter it takes longer for them to get it out.

Does he sleep in the crate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, how long are you leaving him in the crate per day? How much time does he have to get excess energy out? What do you do to exercise him?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts