Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had Neely for 2 weeks now and he's 12 weeks old. He came to us crate trained and has spent each night in the crate with few problems......However, starting a few nights ago he started whining and crying and barking when he's in the crate. It usually takes one of us to come down and sit with him until he falls asleep. Our dilemma is: Do we give up on keeping him in the crate at night and keep him with us? Or suffer through the whining??
Any suggestions or advice appreciated!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
He's getting you trained.  He whines, crys and barks and gets your attention when he does it.  If you keep responding to him, he will keep doing it so you need to ignore the behavior while he is in the crate. Mine usually were pretty dependable thru the night at about that age as they were tired out, so with mine they are typically allowed to sleep on a dog bed in my bedroom loose only at night at that age.  Depends on your dog.  Mine are still typically in the X pen when I leave for any length of time during the day or early evening.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Flick is 10 wks and is waking us most nites to go outside..He isn't exactly thrilled with the crate, but at least now, when he goes in, he doesn't raise a ruckus for an hour like he was..If you think he needs to go out, that's one thing, but just a play for attention or "let me out", no way...Don't fall for that one

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When he wakes us initally, it is to go out and pee. We let him out, he does his business. His issues are around going back to sleep in the crate while we're upstairs. I'm trying so hard not to be a softee...but that face!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, I hear ya there...I know it sounds cruel, but try and be strong...We are going thru the same thing so I sympathize

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you thought about putting the crate in your bedroom? Boxers seem to need to be with the family at all times, so at least if he is in your crate in the bedroom, he can still see you and that would make him feel more safe and secure.

We did that with Piper and it worked well.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I was also going to suggest to bring the crate in the bedroom..we did that from the start and Elyse sleeps all night and always has..she is now 11 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yes, I agree..I would suggest bringing the crate to the room.  Autumn would definitely complain if we had her crated somewhere else at night, but at the foot of the bed she has no problems.  We put a blanket over the crate so she can't see us, which makes her pretty much just pass out.  Even though she's 10 months and could be out at night, I a) don't want her sleeping in the bed which she would want to do (but would be easy to stop), and b) she wakes up earlier than we do (seeing as she sleeps on the couch from about 8pm to whenever we go to bed) and gets bored and starts exploring the room and getting into trouble (and waking us up!).   This way she just has to lay there and wait, which helps her learn patience (I hope!).  She doesn't mind the crate, she goes right in on her own when we go up to bed, I'm sure Neely can learn to like it too!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts