Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard and read some people say that the first few nights I should keep the my puppy in her crate by the bed in our bedroom because she is gonna cry on the other hand I heard people say that  I need to let her know that won't give her attention when she cries.  Which way worked best for you guys with your new pup when you first brought her home.  I just don't want her to get used to her crate being in our bedroom if its not going to be there permantly.  I also don't won't to leave her in her crate in our office, kitchen, or spare bedroom crying while we're upstairs in our bedroom sleeping.

Thanks

Reggie

G

·
0 Posts
When we got our puppy, she spent the first week or two in our bedroom at the foot of the bed.  We would occasionally comfort her and she is fine in the crate now...all we say is "go to bed" and she'll go right in.;so I would do bedroom for a few weeks, then slowly move her to the living room.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
well ours started out in the bedroom and is still in the bedroom :) we like her here he he but what seemed to calm her is to just hear our voices and what not, she new she wasn't alone in the room.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry's crate is just outside our bedroom door.  When he was newly here, we would leave the crate open and he could go in if he wanted or not.  We also leave our bedroom door open, so he can come and go in and out of here if he wants.  He used to would lay down right next to our bed for a little while, then get up and go to his bed.  Now he just goes straight to bed.  But, our bedroom is just off the kitchen and there's no carpet in sight! :lol:   So that worked for us.
Good luck with your pup! :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My pups crate is always in my bedroom as I find that very calming for them.  Dogs love to be with their "pack" if they can.  My grown dogs have their beds in my bedroom.  If I need to shut someone out of the bedroom I put their dog bed right outside my bedroom door.

Nano

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tried to put Baxter's crate next to my bed but because the could see me he cry half the night. So then I put it in the kitchen and he still wimper but only for an hour or so, so I was able to get some sleep.
Now he sleeps in the laundry room and has his own pet door and can come and go as he wants in there but he still sleeps in his crate with door open in the laundry room.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona's crate stayed next to the bed because I felt it made sure I heard her if I felt she needed to go outside at night to go to the bathroom....It remained there until she was potty trained and we started leaving her out at night....I then moved it to the laundry room because the only time she is in it is if no one is home during the day or weekend.....She is a year old and will still find a little trouble to get into if she is left out with no one home....Of course the Hubby says the cat makes her do it....but........:)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Bed?  I slept on the couch for like the first few weeks so I could take him out in the middle of the night.   Now he just sleeps on my bed  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Sully...Yea we have been talking about where to put Flick's crate...Haven't reached a decision on that. Course we have 2 others, so hoping that the "company" will help calm him some...I can't say either is good or bad, a lot depends on how much room you have as well...I can see one of us sleeping on the couch for a few nites tho :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
We did start out with both sleeping in the crates in our bedroom, once they were house trained we then left the doors open so they could choose what was more comfortable to them.  I have a huge Costco pillow in my bedroom in front of our dresser, however they choose to sleep in our queen size bed between me and hubby  :D   If it's a warmer night they will sleep on the floor but eventually end up with us.  So I think you need to try a little of everything out and see what works for you.  I hope that helps a little.  Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
tanks crate is in my bedroom always has. he is 5 months old now and he goes to his bed when we go to bed

·
Registered
2 Posts
We started out with our Swegen in his crate in our bedroom, but he soon discovered the joys of sleeping on the bed and has been happily hogging it ever since. :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Both of our twos crates are close to the bed.  They've slept most nights in them.  When Jess is out of town, they can sleep on the bed with me.  Sometimes, we'll let them sleep in bed on the weekend.  It's rough with 2 dogs, add in around 420lbs. of betwen the wife and a queen size seems small!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts